1963-66 Lark Dashboard Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963-66 Lark Dashboard Question

Was wondering what differences there are between the 1963 Lark padded dashboard and subsequent years?
    I think the neat Vanity from 1963 disappeared along the way, and the ignition key moved from the left side to the right side of the steering wheel. but did the basic design change in any significant way?
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

The basic design did not. A '66 dash will bolt in to a '63 with minor alterations to the glovebox for the heat regulator. The vanity was '63 only. The speedometer in '63 was right of center for some reason.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The basic design changed only in the area of the glove box lid. The '63 had a lid that was also part of the top portion of the dash. For '64 on up the lid became more conventional, in other words vertical.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The gauge cluster looks much the same, but the overall look of the padded dash looks very different from 1963 to 1964. Also, the vanity continued in the glovebox but was redesigned and the 'Vanity' nameplate disappeared.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Yes, the pad to the right of the cluster area is much different between 63 and 64.

Comment

don't forget that 66 dashes, even tho they look a lot like 64/65 dashes, they are different. No lines on top and the end caps are more pronounced.

Pictures say a thousand words.

Mark

Comment

Don't forget the 63 standard dash one of a kind, I wonder why? my 63 standard has a 65 Daytona dash much cleaner.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

The metal cores for the dashes are different for the 63's and the 64-66's too. The 63 does not have the hole for the glove box because of the vanity. Important if you have a 63 dash core and wanted to attach a 64-65 dash pad from Studebaker International - it won't work.
                Last edited by scott.rodgers; 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM.
                Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                \'60 Lark HT
                \'63 Wagonaire
                \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  The basic design did not. A '66 dash will bolt in to a '63 with minor alterations to the glovebox for the heat regulator. The vanity was '63 only. The speedometer in '63 was right of center for some reason.
                  The lift up vanity may have been '63 only, but the later ones still had a vanity. It was in the top of the glove box and could be pulled out with the mirror lifting up.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

As you all may have guessed by now I'm dealing with a very cracked dashboard in my 65 Wagonaire Daytona.
                    I pulled a dash out of another 65 Wagonaire at a u-pull-it salvage yard that has only two small cracks. My original dash is black where as the salvaged one is a rose mist color. Was going to try and repair, repaint the salvage unit but was also open to finding another in better shape. If anyone knows of a decent one out there, let me know. Thanks
                    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                    X