what would you want if the choise was yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you want if the choise was yours

What I have here is a 63 GT hawk with a 64 full flow 259 engine and I will be selling the car and was in question on what to do leave the 259 or install a good running 61 non full flow 289 engine? remember the 63 came with a full flow 289 so that is the question what would you guys and gals do?
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

If the 259 runs good, I would leave it in the GT and save the 289 for a lovely little light Lark or luxurious Landcruiser.
    Last edited by Studeous; 11-26-2012, 06:33 AM.
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
    sigpic
    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

I also would leave the full-flow 259 in. Saves the hassle of an engine swap, and for cruising around, the 259 should be fine. It is only a crank and pistons away from being a full-flow 289 anyway. Especially since neither engine is numbers matching.
      sigpic
      JohnP, driving & reviving
      60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

At first...I was about to suggest a "Blindfold driver test"...but that could be a bit dicey. However, I'd bet that if you took two equally equipped cars except one would have a 259, and the other a 289...all other aspects being equal...most of us could not tell enough difference in performance to correctly choose which was which.

Having owned both...I don't think the difference in performance would be worth the effort of a swap. Heck, after all these years, I am still impressed with the torque the heavy cast iron Studebaker V8's delivered to the rear wheels in an era when others were dumping three and four hundred cubic inch blocks in the market.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Tough call!

To a Stude guy that wanted a good running, dependable car the 259 is probably ok. But to a non-stude guy a 259 ain't no 289. 30 cubes different by my calculation. Just like that $12K Avanti that is setting north of you with a 259, it just limits the market.

To me the GT was/is the top of the line model (-Avanti, of course) and it should have a top of the line engine in it, whether reasonable or not. IMHO

If you have a customer then probably no issue, otherwise you seriously limit the market.

The smart arse in me wants to say that most non-Stude folks would rather have the Furd motor but I'll refrain.

Bob

Comment

Bore the 259 to 3.70 for an over square high revving 279.5 cubes and keep it for fun...!

Comment

I'd probably offer it for sale either way and see who wants it before going to a swap on the speculation someone cares. If you swap it the fellow looking for fuel economy might prefer the 259.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Put a supercharger on the 259!
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                  I'd probably offer it for sale either way and see who wants it before going to a swap on the speculation someone cares. If you swap it the fellow looking for fuel economy might prefer the 259.
                  I think t has a great idea, offer it as is; or at a premium with the 289 installed. Let the market decide.

Pat
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    Put a supercharger on the 259!
                    Would that make it an R1.5? I wonder how that would work on Monte Shelton's Avanti up in Portland. Right now with a 259 in an R2 car, it's kinda hard to sell, while the blower would bring it up to authentic (in a very loose form of the term), it would be kinda interesting and atleast the badges would be accurate.

As for your car Bob, I'd try selling as is if it works well. If the 259 were weak or burning oil then you'd have to go the other way.

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

I like 259's!

Comment

I don't see how a non-full flow 289 in a GT would be any more appealing than the 259. I too would leave the 259 in the car and go from there.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I would prefer the 259 as it looks identical to the 289 of that year, and as said, it can be made into a 289 if one wishes.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Selling and keeping are two different things. Selling it neither engine is going to be correct, and there is a very high likelyhood that any Stude enthusiast 'in the know' would prefer the correct full-flow block anyway, first because other than one tiny stamped letter it looks identical, and 'correct', and knowing that the next rebuild could easily transform into a correct for the year full-flow 289+ (or 304).
                            So for sale, I'd say save yourself the unnescessary work for no return, and leave in the 259.

For a 'keeper' I'd still say stick with the 259 and build it from there. There are still a lot of Studebaker owners out there with '62 and previous model year models that would love to have a good running 289 (and if its anywhere near in need of a rebuild, you're not going to gain much by swapping.)
                            That 289 is a very desirable piece for a lot of 'modified', 'Hot Rods', and '62 back Studes. In a '63 GT not so much... more of a liability.
                            No one is going to want to buy the whole car just to salvage that engine (unless it is a -$900 clunker)
                            And having a incorrect non-full flow engine will severely devalue the collector value of '63 GT.
                            Last edited by Jessie J.; 11-26-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X