New Pic: Harold Johnson 100th Birthday Card Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pic: Harold Johnson 100th Birthday Card Opening

'As advertised," Tim Lloyd took all the 100th Birthday Cards to former Studebaker Engine Engineer Harold 'Cap' Johnson Jr, for his 100th Birthday, which was Wednesday, November 21, 2012.

Through a mix-up in phone and e-mail messages, Tim wound up being alone with Harold on Thanksgigivng Day afternoon, rather than at the party that had been Wednesday! It's a long story, but all's when that end's well. Tim said it worked out better anyway, in that he and Harold could open the cards together and chat without the mob of people that had been there the previous day. (Tim uses Harold's nickname, 'Cap,' in reference to Harold's military service as a Captain.)

Here's a better picture of "Cap" opening his stack of cards from SDCers on Thanksgiving Day, the day he was 100 years plus one day old:

From Tim:

Bob, here are two pictures I took yesterday of Cap with his stack of cards. We ended up with 120 signatures because two cards represented SDC Chapters, and they had many folks signing.

Cap and I sat on his sofa yesterday for almost an hour and a half and went through all the cards. He smiled and laughed at the funny ones. There were some absolutely wonderful cards from folks who told Studebaker stories, told of what cars they owned or had owned. Plus many heartfelt wishes for Cap.

Vic and Vicki Phillips from Poplar Bluff, MO sent him a 100-Year Studebaker coin! VERY COOL!

Several folks sent car pictures (including some for sale) and I would ask him questions about them that may have frustrated him as much as anything. I asked a few questions for which I already knew the answers, but they brought what I could tell was a frustrated, "I don't know." Cap is still in good physical health for being 100 years old, although he doesn't seem to like green vegetables! But old-age memory issues are taking hold. I knew he recognized me as soon as I got there, although short-term memory is just about gone.

Nonetheless, he was excited to open each and every card. He really loved getting the cards and personally read each one.

Thank you again for being the driving force behind making this happen for Cap. He is truly a treasure and I have been blessed to call him my friend. Tim Lloyd.

Thank YOU,Tim, for accumulating the cards and taking them to "Cap." Anyone's 100th Birthday is a truly rare occasion, but understandable in Cap's case due to having been Hoosier born and raised, graduatuing from Purdue University, and spending the bulk of professional engineering career at The Studebaker Corporation...even until the day manufacturing was moved from South Bend to Hamilton.

Happy Birthday again, Cap. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-27-2012, 07:02 AM. Reason: new picture added
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I'm glad he enjoyed all the cards, Bob. Thanks for reporting here.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

'Thought I'd bump this since I was able to get the better picture of "Cap" opening his cards.

(Thanks again, Tim, for working with a cyber-challenged gent [me] to get a usable picture!) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
      X