Studebaker hub cap i.d. needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker hub cap i.d. needed

Can anyone tell me if this is a legit hub cap offered by Studebaker?
    Attached Files
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Are they 14 or 15 inch ? I've seen that basket on something else. But not that center.
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Richard , these were optional wheel discs on 66 cars. They may have been available on 65 but not sure about that but 66 definately. Also there were special clips that held them on the wheel and you'll notice there wasn't any way to get to the valve stem, those clips didn't work very well either.
      It shows them in the 66 Accessory booklet for 66.
      Last edited by 2R5; 11-14-2012, 11:46 AM.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks, I will check my '66 file.
        Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
          Richard , these were optional wheel discs on 66 cars. They may have been available on 65 but not sure about that but 66 definately. Also there were special clips that held them on the wheel and you'll notice there wasn't any way to get to the valve stem, those clips didn't work very well either.
          It shows them in the 66 Accessory booklet for 66.
          They look like the similar 64 cap shown on my old Avanti. but without the spinner. That's a new style for me, but you can get to the valve cap by simply popping the cap "open" on the swing out clips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Survivor.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1676016
          JDP Maryland

Comment

BUT! The center looks wrong for a '64-'66 Wire Wheel Cover!

Is this an export, Canadian or modified Cover?

I believe the Centers were Black and not "embossed" This center looks like it was taken from a '59-'62 Standard Wheel Cover.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Richard , I think you posted a picture of a Chicago car show with a red 66 Daytona in the picture ....that car has those wire wheel covers on it.
              Last edited by 2R5; 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

To me.. It looks like a non-Stude style wire basket and outer ring, with a '63 Lark dog dish hubcap in the center (only the outer edge is visible), with the center section of a full '63-style wheel cover on top of that.

This is the '66 Stude cover.

Last edited by mbstude; 11-14-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Matthew is correct. The one he shows is factory 64-66. Richard, the one you show I have never seen before.

Comment

Yes, I am quite familiar with that wire wheel cap that Matthew has posted. That was introduced in 1963 and was still being offered thru 1966. Still nothing however on the one I posted? I have found nothing in the Studebaker literature and I believe I have all the accessory catalogs from 1930-66.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                      Yes, I am quite familiar with that wire wheel cap that Matthew has posted. That was introduced in 1963 and was still being offered thru 1966. Still nothing however on the one I posted? I have found nothing in the Studebaker literature and I believe I have all the accessory catalogs from 1930-66.
                      I'd like to see it disassembled. Or at least a photo of the backside. Looks homemade to me.

Comment

I guess I looked right beyond that front part and didn't notice the non spinner.
                        sigpic

Comment

What is with the reversed/up-side-down "ear" on the cover in Matthew's pictures?
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

How hard would it be to believe this was/is a prototype piece? Kinda like the odd-colored horn buttons I lucked into - or the BIG Hawk hood ornament that I got from JDP some years ago? Do you have just the one or a set?
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd believe that, Bob. I have an experimental 1950 full wheel cover that I think I've told you about.

Comment

Working...
                              X