Wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering

I was looking on e-bay (my first mistake) for Avanti's and found what someone is calling a 1963 #4312. Thing is it has the square head lights. I have a '64 #4868 and it has round lights. Was there a period of time where the '63's got square lights or is it more likely the front got smashed at some point and they fixed it with the wrong front clip. The ad says its never been wrecked but who knows. Thanks gang
    Brad

#4892 was the serial number of the change from round to square (rectangular?) headlight lenses. Although it is funny - the Chassis Parts Catalog speaks of "before #4892" and "after #4892." So don't ask me specifically about #4892!

Comment

Looking at the photos on Ebay of R4312 , those headlight bezels have been added in a before life to a true 1963 Avanti. I believe that also from the photos this car does not have factory installed air conditioning.

Bob Caser
      mrbobinc

Comment

possible '63 - from Mr. Johnstone's site: http://www.studebaker-info.org/avantix4.html

and a older ebay listing: http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...4312x0806.html

so it's not a "one owner" and apparently not a calif car for all that time. and no hog trough, etc. pics. a few hundred miles on the odometer now from 6 years ago.

i'd certainly want someone to take a look at it before a bid. don't think i could go for the BIN price even if it was in good shape underneath...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Yep, passenger side headlight rim/assembly is really cockeyed. Nice original salt and pepper carpeting though.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
            #4892 was the serial number of the change from round to square (rectangular?) headlight lenses. Although it is funny - the Chassis Parts Catalog speaks of "before #4892" and "after #4892." So don't ask me specifically about #4892!
            4892 was the first "square" headlight car, but not the first "square" headlight Avanti built for public sale (not autoshow, etc. use), that was 5004.
            The car in question was built three months earlier.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The wrong headlight car is mine now...

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              4892 was the first "square" headlight car, but not the first "square" headlight Avanti built for public sale (not autoshow, etc. use), that was 5004.
              The car in question was built three months earlier.
              From my first drive of an Avanti in the spring of 63, I have wanted one.... always something to get in the way. So when I went looking a few weeks ago, found my Avanti in Southern California, mis-advertised to be sure. Finding info on various Avanti sites, gave me the ammunition to inspect, drive, and bargain.... something one would have to do on sight, not from thousands of miles away. Other than the headlight upgrade, which I like over the round lights, I have an original, non-restored '63 with just over 61,000 miles (just 500 since it was sold out of Western New York in 2006. While not confirmed, I take it that the car came west, was proudly owned by someone who did nothing to the car but drive it to a few car shows and then died in 2008 or 2009 (last registered in CA in 2008). Car is clean, very clean, pretty rust free for an Eastern car, and drives like an almost new car (still haven't had a chance to service it yet, could need a back flush on the cooling system). It'll be in its first show when i host my 9th annual "UN Car Show" in Palm Springs April 6 at the Stein Mart parking lot... casual, no rule "show" from 10 to 1 pm.
              Cap'n Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Tom View Post
                From my first drive of an Avanti in the spring of 63, I have wanted one.... always something to get in the way. So when I went looking a few weeks ago, found my Avanti in Southern California, mis-advertised to be sure. Finding info on various Avanti sites, gave me the ammunition to inspect, drive, and bargain.... something one would have to do on sight, not from thousands of miles away. Other than the headlight upgrade, which I like over the round lights, I have an original, non-restored '63 with just over 61,000 miles (just 500 since it was sold out of Western New York in 2006. While not confirmed, I take it that the car came west, was proudly owned by someone who did nothing to the car but drive it to a few car shows and then died in 2008 or 2009 (last registered in CA in 2008). Car is clean, very clean, pretty rust free for an Eastern car, and drives like an almost new car (still haven't had a chance to service it yet, could need a back flush on the cooling system). It'll be in its first show when i host my 9th annual "UN Car Show" in Palm Springs April 6 at the Stein Mart parking lot... casual, no rule "show" from 10 to 1 pm.
                Cap'n Tom
                WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum, Cap'n Tom!!!

Comment

Congratulations! May it bring you many years of enjoyment.

Comment

There was a 63 Avanti here in this town (Frankfort, IN) that had the square headlights as a result of front end damage replacement. The car belonged to Adrian Marks, the WW2 flying hero who saved the survivors of the USS Indianapolis. As I recall the car was gold color. I never knew what happened to the car after Adrian died. He was a nice friendly modest guy who really enjoyed the car.
                    Last edited by Lark Parker; 06-14-2013, 07:37 PM. Reason: Corrected the spelling of CDR Marks name.
                    sigpic
                    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I believe that for a few years the round headlight Avanti nose panels were NLA. That also would account for a few of the originally roundlight cars now having the later square bezels.

Comment

Working...
                      X