Now PIX: Studes @ Indy Vets Day Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now PIX: Studes @ Indy Vets Day Parade

UPDATE: See photos and report in Post #7, below.

Four Studebaker convertibles will be carrying World War II Veterans in the 2012 Indianapolis Veterans Day Parade:

1. Lanny Bertram's Maroon 1950 Champion

2. Jim Turner's Maroon 1952 Commander

3. Bob Fox's Red 1960 Lark Six

4. Bob Palma's White 1964 Daytona

Those riding in the convertibles will be World War II Veterans who participated in the September 10, 2012 Honor Flight program. This program flew the Veterans round trip to Washington DC for a day of sight-seeing and merriment at no cost to them.

We have no idea what media will be covering this event, although it will surely appear in the Sunday, November 11 Indianapolis Star. If I can get some pictures of the cars staged or something, I'll post them up Saturday afternoon.

SDC Brake Guru Jim Turner is heavily involved in The Indianapolis Honor Flight program, and the idea was to have these Indiana Veterans riding in Indiana-built Studebakers.

The weather forecast couldn't be better for a November Saturday: Sunny and mild with a high of 69 degrees...in November! Woo-hoo! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-10-2012, 12:36 PM. Reason: insert Post #7 reference
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Great story! The Greatest Generation being chauffered by the Greatest Convertibles! I hope they enjoy themselves-no one deserves it more!

Comment

Bob,
      I wish I could be there with my blue Daytona, I have my own Veterans Day activities to attend to. Have a great day!
      1936 Dictator
      1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
      1953 Commander Regal HT
      1953 2R5 Pickup
      1947 M16 Truck
      1960 Lark VIII Convertible
      1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
      1962 Champ 7E5 no box
      1962 GT Hawk
      1963 Lark VI 4 dr
      1963 GT Hawk R2
      1964 Daytona Convertible
      1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
        Bob,
        I wish I could be there with my blue Daytona, I have my own Veterans Day activities to attend to. Have a great day!
        'Wish you could, too, Claude; we could use another one or two Studes and simply spread out the number of Vets over more cars.
        Enjoy your day, too. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Just thinking further, Claude: I DO wish your Strato Blue '64 convertible could be here.

We could stack Bob Fox' Red '60 first, my white '64 second, and your blue '64 third for a red-white-blue parade contingent...I wonder how many people would notice? BP

Comment

Terrific story. We, in the Long Island Region, will be attending a Doo-Wop concert at the Long Island Museum in Stony Brook, Long Island with our Studes. The Long Island Museum is one of the largest horse-drown carriage museums in the country. High quality restorations.

Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Here's some Pictures from this Wonderful Event. All taken today (Saturday, November 10, 2012) in downtown Indianapolis at the huge Veteran's Day Parade.

The "unit" in which the Studebakers participated was The Indy Honor Flight organization. Two Boy Scouts carried this banner in front of the lead car, Jim Turner's 1952 Commander convertible:

*************************************************************************

Back Story:
              When each of 79 WWII Veterans appeared on September 10, 2012 for the inaugural Indy Honor Flight to Washington DC, they were asked to bring a period photo of themselves from when they were in the service. These were collected before they left for DC.

During the day, The Walgreens Photo Dept in Plainfield IN enlarged each photo and made a rigid-back poster from each one...FREE. That's right, Walgreen's donated the time and materials to make 79 of those large posters free on September 10, 2012.

When the Veterans returned that evening, each had a huge poster of him/herself from WWII, ready to go! The posters were collected after the return and stored for events like this parade.

Each Veteran that would be in the parade found his/her "ride" by locating their poster in the appropriate Studebaker:

For reasons known only to a select few, Jim Turner's lead '52 had the three women veterans in it :

Lined up for early parade staging in front of Tyndall Armory at 711 North Pennsylvania St. in Indianapolis:

Even though it was early, there were many people around the Studebakers, asking questions. (My Daytona is a bit low in the back because the trunk contains a huge ice chest full of ice and cold drinks -I still don't see how we got it in there and the deck lid closed- and a large tool box, etc...):

Veterans who would be riding in Lanny Bertram's 1950 Champion convertible, the one he purchased at the last minute at this year's SDC International Meet:

Lanny standing outside his Champion with each Veteran in their respective seat, per the posters:

Posters in position in my '64:

Here are those three gentlemen, each holding their poster before we loaded up to head out:

This gentleman, Tom Costin, was the Buick dealer in Plainfield IN, just south of us. He sat right behind me and, boy, did we have a lot to talk about! He held the Buick franchise from it's inception in 1956 until he retired and sold it in 1988:

And here they are, seated in the car and ready to go:

A relative or volunteer walked beside each Veteran riding in the parade convertibles, holding that Veteran's poster like this:

Overall, this was a gorgeous day, topping out at an almost record-high 72 degrees, and the Veterans with the Honor Flight unit were well-received and roundly applauded along the parade route.

Thanks to Jim Turner for setting this up, congratulations to all the Veterans, and we look forward to doing it again next year. BP
              Last edited by BobPalma; 11-13-2012, 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Over top cool. Way to go guys...Mike
                Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Good going guys!
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

No pictures of the vets in Jim Turners '52 !!! ? I'm not as young as some of you guys. I would appreciate some gam photos!
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      No pictures of the vets in Jim Turners '52 !!! ? I'm not as young as some of you guys. I would appreciate some gam photos!
                      'Sorry, Brad.

Two ladies are visible in the first photo, but you have to look through Jim's windshield.

I believe the fellow in the red shirt at the side of the car is the grandson of the lady in the back seat, looking to her left. He was her Guardian; the term used for the Honor Flight person who accompanies a given Veteran. The ratio is always 1:1: One Guardian for each Veteran. A Guardian may or may not be related to the Veteran.

Anyway, I was taking pictures willy-nilly after we loaded up...and all of a sudden, we were moving and I had to get back to my car to "fall-in."

The youngest Veteran we had, gender notwithstanding, was at least 85. Two required assistance from wheelchair to convertible, but everyone had a wonderful time. It was an uplifting experience to say the least. "Thank-yous" were genuinely and sincerely followed with, "No, thank you; it was my privilege to drive you in the parade."

And it really was. BP

Comment

Holly cow,
                        I want to sit in Jim Turners back seat next year as long as those two hotties show up!!!

Dean.

Comment

Bob,
                          A BIG Thanks to you, Bob Fox, & Lanny Bertram for helping make this happen! The 3 "gals" I drove all had a blast. Before we started, I asked if anybody needed some water, Anna in the front seat said, "Only if you have some scotch to go with it"
                          Bob did not mention that as we drove these Heroes along the parade route, i heard many folks yelling out "Thank you" and LOTS of clapping as we rode by. All the of the large photos were of our original group that went on "Indy Honor Flight 1" We are going to be VERY aggressive next year, we are planning 4 flights, with our spring flight on April 20, 2013.

All of these Veterans just don't think they have done anything special! That's what makes them "The GREATEST Generation"

I want to also thank ALL of the Veterans that participate on the SDC Forum, and all of the Veterans throughout the world. thank you for your service and sacrifices!

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                            Holly cow, I want to sit in Jim Turner's back seat next year as long as those two hotties show up!!! Dean.
                            Well, Dean, remember: Those photos were taken before 1945! BP

Comment

Great photos and gorgeous cars. Thanks for posting, Bob! And thanks to all who helped to honor our nation's veterans.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X