Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Well, Dean, remember: Those photos were taken before 1945! BP

I know but apart from my wife they just don't make em liked that any more.

All in good fun.

Dean.

Comment

Great photos of a great day, Bob!
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

A BIG thank you to all who make stuff like this happen.

Fifty years from now-
        maybe I will be the Veteran ridin' in the back of some cool 'vert...?

StudeDave '57
        USN (retired)
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
          Great photos of a great day, Bob!
          Thanks, Bill, 'glad you enjoyed them.

Being small-town boys that we are, I learned something yesterday that surprised me, RE: The Plainfield IN Buick dealership.

Plainfield is also in Hendricks County, the county immediately west of Indianapolis, where I live in Brownsburg, in the northern part of the county. Immediately far south of Browsnburg, but still in Hendricks County, is Plainfield, along U.S.40, The National Road.

The County Seat is Danville, pretty much right in the middle of the county.

'Back in the 1950s, Plainfield was already a fairly big town, being right on U.S.40, but it isn't the county seat. I was surprised to confirm with Tom Costin, the WWII Veteran and former Buick dealer who was among my passengers in the parade, that there was not a Buick dealership in Plainfield until he and a money-man from Indianpolis, GM dealer "Red" Dellen, opened Costin Buick in Plainfield in 1956.

The County Seat (Danville) had a Buick dealership all along, Hackleman Auto Sales, IIRC, so there was Buick representation in the county, but it was in the county seat maybe 12 miles from Plainfield and nowhere near important, pre-interstate U.S.40.

That underscores the importance of county seats in rural America in the 1950s, before the interstate highway system was built. County Seats were truly the center of commerce and "happenings" at the time, so every car and truck (and tractor and farm implement!) manufacturer would have wanted to be represented in the county seat regardless of where it was located.

Even Studebaker had a dealership in Danville, in the picture I've posted previously:

And, my, how things change. Today, there is not one new-car or new truck or new tractor/farm implement dealership in Danville IN, the county seat; not one! Twenty years ago, Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, and GMC all had new-car dealerships in Danville IN. Today, ZERO.

(Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler, and GMC all have dealerships in Hendricks County IN, as well as Buick, but they are not in Danville.) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It was indeed an honor to chauffeur these members of "The Greatest Generation". Also very humbling to witness the outpouring gratitude they, and all our Service Men and Women, so much deserve.
            sigpic
            Lanny & Barb Bertram
            '63 Lark Custom R2 4spd
            Indy Chapter SDC since 2000
            Weaverville, NC

Comment

"Fifty years from now-
              maybe I will be the Veteran ridin' in the back of some cool 'vert...? "

Dave,
              Anytime you want a ride, you got it!! Thanks to guys & gals like YOU! we live in the greatest country in the world!

Jim

"We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Our rear deck, looking toward The Morton Building, less than 48 hours after the 72-degree parade stepped off in downtown Indianapolis:

Yep; 'first snowfall of the season, well underway. (Old Hoosier wisdom says that if you don't like the weather in Indiana, just wait a day or two and it will be completely different!) BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Interesting, Bob! I'd love to ask what favorite years/models and least favorite years/models, of Buick were, in his opinion.

My hometown of Greenville, PA (pop. 9,200 in the 1950 census) was not the county seat, but had a larger population than Mercer, the county seat. Greenville had Chevrolet, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Cadillac, Ford, Mercury, AMC, Studebaker, Packard, Mercedes-Benz, Simca, Sunbeam, Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Hudson, AMC, and Kaiser-Frazer dealers. As I've mentioned, the Stude dealer was in continuous business under one family from 1926-68.

Now, there is one dealer in the borough proper, Phil Godfrey Ford, and one dealer on the outskirts of town, Lakeland Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep (building originally built in '69 as Stegkamper Ford-Mercury).

Mercer has a Chevrolet dealer, but I think that's it.

I'm pretty sure, though not certain, that Pavone Buick (before my memory) also sold Jaguar in Greenville.
                  Last edited by Bill Pressler; 11-12-2012, 08:07 AM.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Interesting, Bob! I'd love to ask what favorite years/models and least favorite years/models were, in his opinion.

My hometown of Greenville, PA (pop. 9,200 in the 1950 census) was not the county seat, but had a larger population than Mercer, the county seat. Greenville had Chevrolet, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Cadillac, Ford, Mercury, AMC, Studebaker, Packard, Mercedes-Benz, Simca, Sunbeam, Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Hudson, AMC, and Kaiser-Frazer dealers. As I've mentioned, the Stude dealer was in continuous business under one family from 1926-68.

Now, there is one dealer in the borough proper, Phil Godfrey Ford, and one dealer on the outskirts of town, Lakeland Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep (building originally built in '69 as Stegkamper Ford-Mercury).

Mercer has a Chevrolet dealer, but I think that's it.
                    Actually, Bill; I asked him that!

Mr. Costin said the '59s were his least favorite, with '58s close behind. (Since he had only been in business a couple years when those models came out, and since those models contributed to the horrendous Buick market percentage nosedive from 1956 through circa 1961, we should be able to "understand" his reservations about those model years!)

He said his favorite model year was 1963, and he loved the new Riviera that year. He ordered a new, loaded Riviera for his demo and when it came in, the sticker was so high he had second thoughts about, "driving a demo that was so expensive!"

But after it was prepped, he liked it so much on a first drive, that he kept it for his demo after all. 'Can't say that I blame him. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Bob,
                      I was waiting for the pics. Thanks loads! Brings tears.
                      Claude
                      sigpic
                      Claude Chmielewski
                      Studeski
                      http://www.studeski.com
                      Fillmore, Wisconsin
                      47 M-16 Truck
                      53 Commander Regal HT
                      53 2R5
                      60 Lark VIII Convertible
                      60 5E7 Champ pickup
                      62 5E7 Champ no box
                      62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                      63 Lark VI parts car
                      63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                      64 Commander Wagonaire
                      64 Daytona Convertible
                      50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                      36 Dictator
                      36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Bob, there's not much to not like about a loaded '63 Riviera! I think GM was building pretty good cars, body-wise and mechanically, in '63, wouldn't you say?

But you know me...styling-wise, I think it's hard to beat GM (including Buick's) full-sizes for the '65 model year.
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Bob, there's not much to not like about a loaded '63 Riviera! I think GM was building pretty good cars, body-wise and mechanically, in '63, wouldn't you say?

But you know me...styling-wise, I think it's hard to beat GM (including Buick's) full-sizes for the '65 model year.
                          Oh, yes; agree fully, Bill. The 1963 Riviera was a wonderful corporate answer to the 4-place Thunderbird that was making a market of its own by that time, for which The General had no really distinctive answer until the all-new 1963 Riviera bowed.

Once all the GMs got the good, new Delcotron alternator charging system for 1963, the 1963s and 1964s were some of the best cars, if not the best cars, General Motors ever built.

Yes, the 1965s were highly styled and thus more appealing from a sales standpoint, but probably not quite as good mechanically. (So close it's a toss-up, though, and not worth much discussion, IMHO.)

I personally loved the 1965 Cadillac...but, boy, the frames were so flimsy that the cars were subject to structural rust issues long before their time. (If you are restoring a 1965 or 1966 Cadillac with a shaky frame, good luck finding a much better one.)

GM didn't start to lose the ball in the weeds mechanically until circa 1977, with the cheap new R4 air conditioning compressors and 200-series automatic transmissions that were junk compared to the good units they replaced, and those are major components not to be trifled with if you are going to keep your customer base intact.

(Hmmmm....didn't they have the high 40s in market penetration back then and are today struggling to get 18%? 'Might be a connection, there....nah, just a coincidence, I'm sure...)

Style-wise, the ball went in the weeds earlier, in 1971 on the big cars...although I do like the luxury-liner ride of my '72 LeSabre Custom convertible! BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
                            Bob,
                            I was waiting for the pics. Thanks loads! Brings tears.
                            Claude
                            I know what you mean, Claude. I found myself choking up a couple times when I showed my wife the pictures and gave her a report of the day. (She had a day planned with a girlfriend out here and had not gone to the parade.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

A tip of the hat to those whom took the time to get their cars out for this event. Bob, thanks for sharing!
                              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                              1961 Hawk 4-speed
                              1967 Avanti
                              1961 Lark 2 door
                              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                                A tip of the hat to those whom took the time to get their cars out for this event. Bob, thanks for sharing!
                                You're welcome, Milt....'had to move the "St. Louis" Daytona 4-door to get the convertible out and think of you guys every time I see your chapter's logo still on the 4-door's windshield...but it's fading fast. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                                X