Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josh & Papa 11/12

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Josh & Papa 11/12

    Since Josh's Lark Died a couple of mounths ago our weekend routine has changed a bit. We pulled the front clip off and hammered some dents out. Pulled the engine and disassembled it. we are awaiting parts to rebuild it(and cash to pay for them). Josh has been cleaning and painting everything in sight. Problem is,all the dirt and grease that comes off the car seems to stick to him.
    Yesterday we removed the transmission and he started cleaning it. HE WAS A SIGHT!
    That kid was greasy from head to toe. He had enought foresight to wear old clothes to the shop but didn't think to bring clean clothes to chang into.

    He was so dirty that I was afraid to take him back to his Mama! Toward the end of the day I told him to finish putting the tools away and get cleaned up as best he could. I left him at the shop and made a quick run into town and bought him a shirt and pants. When I got back he had everything put away and had most of the grease off hisface and hands but was under the hood of an old 62 Cruiser with a battery and a can of gas.
    We have a bottle that hangs upside down with a hose that runs gas directly into the carb. We call this the I/V. Josh had the I/V hooked up and was about to install the battery. I watched as he proceded to crank this old car. Prettysoon it fired up and was running sweet. Josh aired up the tires and dropped it into reverse. It took off backwards and he realized it had no brakes! He got it stopped before it did any damage then wanted to know if he could get brakes on it and drive it around untill we got his car back togather. I told him to "Go for it"
    On the way home he came up with the idea to make it look like a Police car.
    "It's already black,and 4drAnd you have that flashing light and siren....
    Neil Thornton

  • #2
    Poor kid, he should be sitting inside, staying clean, reading Face Book and texting his friends like other kids!
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

    40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

    * Formerly owned

    Comment


    • #3
      This is GOOD for Josh. But it it also GOOD for his Papa. I love to hear of these experiences. I also love to share them with my Grandchildren. It brings back fond memories of my Dad and my Papa.

      Comment


      • #4
        Josh can take it. Count all his fingers when you clean him up.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

        Comment


        • #5
          I just love reading these stories. I was afraid when MBstude grew up, the stories would end. But no.

          I got scared when I first read the words "battery" and "gasoline", but my nightmare didn't happen. whew.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am now the owner of a Marshall Clone. My old derelic 62 Lark Cruiser now has driveway brakes,a red flashing light on top,and a chrome siren mounted on the fender. It's faded black Rustoleum paint, black wall tires and small hubcaps make it look the part. We flushed out the gas tank with some fresh fuel. Let it run through the fuel pump into a container untill it was clear while the car was running on the I/V. Rebuilt the M/C and one wheel cylinder. Need to replace the rubber lines but only had one in stock. So we have 1 front wheel that will stop. Don't go very far or very fast. 259/2bbl runs good, trans works good as does P/S and even the factory A/C. Although it's low on freon.
            Josh drove it around the yard with the light flashing but we are too close to the neighbors to let him blow the siren.
            Neil Thornton

            Comment


            • #7
              I had an interesting day at the shop today. Had a day off from work and decided to try to get atleast one more wheel with brakes.
              The old black Cruiser has been parked be side my front gate for atleast 5 years.Probably more than that. When we started working on it,Josh moved to the front of the building,and I parked my Green Lark in it's place. My wife got off work early and came by the shop.She saw me working on the Cruiser and asked"Whose car is that?"
              I just looked at her and said "It's Mine!" "Where did you get it?" she asked. I told that I bought it from her cousin 5 or 6 years ago."Where has it been all this time?" She wanted to know. "In the spot where the Green car is now" said I.
              It all began to click into place then. Amazing what a little soap and water will do.

              After she left I drove it down to the gas station, and for the first time in all my 50 or so years of driving, The hood came up! Fortunately the gas station is only a block away so I wasn't going very fast and it did no damage. I just put my head out the window like a Hound dog and kept going. Didn't even blow my hat off.
              Neil Thornton

              Comment


              • #8
                I thought I'd heard that the engine in the green Lark had died?

                Glad that the Cruiser is getting some love. It's been more than 5 or 6 years since you bought it as it was long before I could drive. I remember you got it and the '63 Cruiser at the same time.. When did we pull the trans out of that one and put it in the '63 Hawk?

                I bet Josh ends up with it!
                Last edited by mbstude; 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  I thought I'd heard that the engine in the green Lark had died?

                  Glad that the Cruiser is getting some love. It's been more than 5 or 6 years since you bought it as it was long before I could drive. I remember you got it and the '63 Cruiser at the same time.. When did we pull the trans out of that one and put it in the '63 Hawk?

                  I bet Josh ends up with it!
                  GreenLark is alive and well. Still running strong... Well, still running anyway. It was Josh's Black Lark that died, But it's on it's way back.
                  I can't remember when I bought those two Cruisers. But it was after we finished Dr. Ben's car. We delivered Doc's to Macon and brought the 62 back on the return trip. John C. later delivered the yellow one.
                  I parted the yellow one out, put the trans in G-Ma's GT and sold the engine to Shifter 4 to go in his race car.

                  5years passes faster for me than it does for you.
                  Neil Thornton

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Quote from Neil "5 years passes faster for me than it does you".

                    Boy is this true, Neil. The older we get, the faster it passes. Last car I built, before this 53, took 11 months. I may never get this one finished.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                      GreenLark is alive and well. Still running strong... Well, still running anyway. It was Josh's Black Lark that died, But it's on it's way back.
                      I can't remember when I bought those two Cruisers. But it was after we finished Dr. Ben's car. We delivered Doc's to Macon and brought the 62 back on the return trip. John C. later delivered the yellow one.
                      I parted the yellow one out, put the trans in G-Ma's GT and sold the engine to Shifter 4 to go in his race car.

                      5years passes faster for me than it does for you.
                      Here is the engine , altho blended with others.
                      6561161857_510353d7bf_n.jpg
                      Bill H
                      Daytona Beach
                      SDC member since 1970
                      Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                        I am now the owner of a Marshall Clone. My old derelic 62 Lark Cruiser now has driveway brakes,a red flashing light on top,and a chrome siren mounted on the fender. It's faded black Rustoleum paint, black wall tires and small hubcaps make it look the part. We flushed out the gas tank with some fresh fuel. Let it run through the fuel pump into a container untill it was clear while the car was running on the I/V. Rebuilt the M/C and one wheel cylinder. Need to replace the rubber lines but only had one in stock. So we have 1 front wheel that will stop. Don't go very far or very fast. 259/2bbl runs good, trans works good as does P/S and even the factory A/C. Although it's low on freon.
                        Josh drove it around the yard with the light flashing but we are too close to the neighbors to let him blow the siren.
                        I Drove the "cop" car to town to the parts store today. Talk about an ATTENTION GETTER!! I lost tract of how many people wanted to talk to me about that old car. Several folks wanted to know if it was really a police car. I guess there's just somthing about a flashing light. Even though I didn't have it flashing. I asked the chief of police what I needed to do to get the lights and siren legal. He said "Do'n't worry about it. Just don't try to pull anyone over with it." He said it would be fine for parades or special events. 20 years ago I was involved with the Volunteer Fire Dept. and had the same set up on my 63 Daytona. It was painted red and white and represented the Chief's car. Back then I had to get a sticker on the windshield authorizing to have such equiptment.
                        Neil Thornton

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          On a related topic.
                          A few days ago, I was talking to a salesman that called on the trucking company where I work. The subject of Studebakers came up (Imagine that!) and he said " I know where there are is a guy with some Studebakers in Georgia". I asked him what town and he thought for a moment and said "Hazelhurst"! I told him I thought I knew about that guy. Small world.
                          sigpic

                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'v had people come up to me and tell me that same thing! Did he tell you about the car hanging on the fence?
                            Neil Thornton

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X