Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't keep two Avantis...

...tell me which to keep (and why)

1964 R-1 R5527, Avanti Gray w/claret interior. Powershift, Turner brakes, 3.07 TT, PS, PW, AM-FM w/rear speaker (not hooked up- modern stereo radio/CD player in glove box), all tint glass, tilt, 76,000 miles. Paint is 20x20 (20 feet at 20mph). Most chrome is pitted to some extent (mostly minor except back bumper-worse than average). Frame has surface rust, but is solid as is rear cross member, hog troughs solid. Interior very nice, but not perfect (no dash cracks, new carpets, seats great shape, new repop seat belts front, one-year-old Hankook 215x75x15 wsw tires on 15x6 wheels, usual oil leaks, but not excessive, not bad on water leaks except at door windows (don't go through an automatic car wash), 17 miles per gallon highway on premium.

1984 RQ3719, Pearl White with reddish tint in sunlight, red and white interior, 305 HO with a power chip, de-smogged (no cat or air pump, true dual exhausts), 700R4 tranny w/2.71 TT rear, one-month-old Goodrich RWL 215x70x15s, 15x7 Dayton wires, leather Recaros, moon roof, 67,000 miles. Underside dirty, but totally solid. Beautiful pearl paint with virtually no chips, leather seats cracked with small tear on driver's bolster, carpets in car and trunk great shape, nice creature comforts not available on Studebaker Avantis (power door locks, power mirrors, power trunk release, cruise, moon roof, stereo radio/cassette player w power antenna, four-way flashers, electric w/s washers, reclining seats, more). No fluid leaks, almost same water leaks at door windows as the '64 (don't go through an automatic car wash with it either), 27 mpg highway on mid-grade (but likes premium).
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Easy decision for me, I like the chrome bumpers best.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

No hesitation, I would keep the Studebaker.

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
        Easy decision for me, I like the chrome bumpers best.
        X 2.....IMO one of the best features of Avanti was the design of the bumpers....no contest, keep the 64. Regards, Junior
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Keep the REAL one......! No brainer, I'm not a rocket scientist but I DID work in the Rocket Factory (LMSC).....

Comment

I like the Studebaker, but in the real 'daily driver' world....if that's what You intend.....Your better off keeping the '84!

Comment

I'd keep the '64. The Stude Avanti's are great. I rarely (okay, never) look at plastic-bumpered Avantis when I go to a show. They don't do anything for me.

But it isn't our choice! Keep whichever one you and the wife want to keep.

Comment

The real deal is the keeper.
                Mike
                Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

If you want to use it as an (almost, kinda-sort of) dialy driver, keep the newer car.

If you want a nice collectable (that might appreciate someday), keep the Studebaker.

I really like the Avanti grey color, I've never seen one "in the flesh".
                  But is some ways, the color (a lot of new cars are metalic grey or silver) alomst looks too modern for the car.
                  Last edited by JBOYLE; 10-31-2012, 05:41 PM.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I say keep the '64 and put the other on eBay so I can bid on it................
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Nah, keep the 84. The 64 is unsafe by today's standards. You could get hurt in a low speed collision with a shopping cart.
                      You should probably just donate it to me and I'll recycle it for you, free of charge! (I'll even pay for shipping...)

Comment

I tend to agree with Matthew on this,and I would keep the 64.
                        Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        I'd keep the '64. The Stude Avanti's are great. I rarely (okay, never) look at plastic-bumpered Avantis when I go to a show. They don't do anything for me.

But it isn't our choice! Keep whichever one you and the wife want to keep.
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Easy, the 64 stays!
                          sigpic�Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.� - Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
                          '14 Boxster
                          '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
                          '37 Dictator Coupe
                          '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

Comment

agree with (most) of the above reasons about keeping the '64.

for me, if it was a "round headlight" model '64, there wouldn't be a doubt!
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Paul, you like to drive your Avantis all over the place. Is the 64 reliable enough at this point to comfortably cruise long distances? In any case, for me, it's the 64.

Comment

Working...
                              X