Turning Wheels / SDC Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Wheels / SDC Convention

After a careful reading of the current editiion of the Turning Wheels featuring this years convention, I was disappointed to see there was NO mention of the Studebaker Band. Yet there were three photos of various groups at banquets that did not seem to suggest anything in particular. The band even volunteered for the additional concert at the Hall of Fame park that put a further claim on our convention time.

Glenn Shull, an active SDC member devotes an inordinate amount of his time and money to keep the band going at each convention. At this years convention, in really hot weather, the band played three concerts, and had two rehearsals. This amount of time by band participants takes a lot of time away from visiting with friends, attending events, looking at cars or browsing the swap meet.

In fact, I do not recall any articles in a Turning Wheels edition featuring of even mentioning the Studebaker Band. I suggest that if the editiors or board of directores has little interest in the band, that maybe they should so indicate and allow many of us to spend our time at the convention doing other activities.

Countless hours are required in advance of the convention to recruit enough members to field a balanced band. This work is all done by Glenn.

The SDC owes a long overdue commendation for Glenn and those that rally to his call to perform

Mike DeLapp
    Trombone

Some very valid points, and recognition appears to be in order here. Although I have never heard the band play (only been to 1 national event) I just hate seeing volunteer hours go without recognition...so to you, Glenn, and all the band members, a round of applause and tip of the hat go out to you. Thank you, it simply makes the Studebaker community a better place. Regards, Junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Mike, I agree. I got the latest edition of TW as well, and don't get me wrong I think it's an excellent one as always, there were a few things I was surprised did not make it into the magazine. The Studebaker Band was on the list and I was hoping that their names would at least get recognized. One of my best friends volunteered at this past meet. He's an experienced Tuba player from the Notre Dame Marching Band and made it a point to borrow a $3000+ tuba from ND just for the event, and let me be the first to say that the band sounded excellent this year and deserve to be in the magazine. I was also surprised that only one photo appeared on the cars on the test track at the Proving Ground. There were a lot of photographers stationed around the track and I'm sure that they got some really neat shots and I would have liked to see that. There were also various things that were on display at the show field that I would have liked to have seen photos of, such as an extremely rare and recently restored Studebaker tractor/tug that was used at the factory among other things. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I think there was enough going on at the meet to fill a second magazine and I would hope that eventually that one would get printed.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

As a Chapter editor, if he does not have the names or pictures of the band, what can he do? A thousand people can take pictures but if they don't make it to the editor are they shared on-line anyplace?

Comment

As the band perfamances are scheduled events that are posted in the agenda for the convention, I think it is incumbent upon those who publish Turning Wheels and organize the convention to solicit information.
          Have they ever asked Glenn to provide information? Probably not. Glenn is an unsung hero of what makes the conventions unique. Not only his efforts in organizing the band butd but Glenn always gets a Studebaker to the convention. His dedication is awesome.

Comment

I, for one, am VERY APPRECIATIVE of the effort our Studebaker Band leader puts forth at each International Meet. I can personally attest to the quality of the performance the band gave "on the green" at the Footbal Hall of Fame. I was personally asked by Glenn to take a number of snapshots of the band during that performance using his personal camera, which I willingly did. I also captured on video, using the same camera, a number of the tunes they played. At the end of their performance, as they were putting their instruments away, I delivered Glenn's camera back to him, and was personally thanked, by him, for recording the performance.

I think perhaps we are making a tempest out of a teapot in suggesting there is not due recognition for the effort Glenn puts forth. Let's do an article for Turning Wheels in an upcoming issue, and give him kudos for being the great person he is, and the creative job he does.

Comment

Studeguy 54 has an excellent idea. We would love to do a feature on our Band director.
              As for not covering ALL things meet wise, perhaps no one realizes that we spend thousands of dollars to attend International meets (not reimbursed). Then we sort through thousands of photos because we know that if we miss ONE car, someone will complain. It is just not possible for two people to have EVERYTHING covered. This year there were so many people wanting to talk and visit (which is a HIGHLIGHT) that I actually did not get to see the show, to wander through the concours.
              Also, check previous meet issues; the band even got a cover photo a few years ago.
              If there is something missing from your club magazine, there is an EASY fix. Write up an article, take some photos and send it in. We don't have paid reporters.
              It's happened more than once before. Someone will contact us from 3,000 miles away and say: Why don't you do an article on this fella?"
              Coming right up.

An editor with nothing to do.

Comment

As I was reading these threads I was also thinking about how the articles get into Turning Wheels. Just like our chapter newsletters, if you write something up, it will probably get into the publication. Editors are always looking for good material and you may be in the best position to provide that article.
                Don't worry about being a good writer. If you get the facts straight, a good editor can fix the little mistakes so it looks smooth.
                sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniac View Post
                  Studeguy 54 has an excellent idea. We would love to do a feature on our Band director.
                  As for not covering ALL things meet wise, perhaps no one realizes that we spend thousands of dollars to attend International meets (not reimbursed). Then we sort through thousands of photos because we know that if we miss ONE car, someone will complain. It is just not possible for two people to have EVERYTHING covered. This year there were so many people wanting to talk and visit (which is a HIGHLIGHT) that I actually did not get to see the show, to wander through the concours.
                  Also, check previous meet issues; the band even got a cover photo a few years ago.
                  If there is something missing from your club magazine, there is an EASY fix. Write up an article, take some photos and send it in. We don't have paid reporters.
                  It's happened more than once before. Someone will contact us from 3,000 miles away and say: Why don't you do an article on this fella?"
                  Coming right up.

An editor with nothing to do.
                  I know for a fact how busy Art and Ann were and it certainly isn't their fault the band didn't receive coverage. They do a great job. I hope one of the band members will submit an article and pictures because virtually everything that is newsworthy gets published.
                  Stu Chapman

Comment

Only someone who has participated in the planning and implementation of an International Meet can understand the hundred and hundreds of uncompensated hours it takes to put together a successful meet. The members of the host chapter take years to put it together. Art and Ann capture the essence of the meet. A big thank you to all who do this!!! You make The Studebaker Drivers Club the best in the world!

Comment

I learned, years ago, that the way to become the loneliest member of a club chapter is to become the editor of the newsletter. I can't imagine how much that is magnified when you become involved in an international publication such as Turning Wheels.

I have been getting the publication for decades. I have yet to find another I look more forward to receiving. I was raised to believe that if you are unhappy with someone's work to the point of criticizing, you are obligated to roll up your sleeves and participate in fixing the problems. Therefore, I have resisted criticizing. If I were to elbow my way into the day to day workings of this wonderful publication...we'd all lose.

My hat is off to those who make it happen. I have stacks of boxes filled with evidence that it has been...and still is... successful!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I remember the band playing at the Lancaster PA in 2008. A helicopter kept circling the show grounds taking aerial pictures of the meet and the band continued to play on unscathed. They did a great job and I also think they should be recognized for their efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                          I remember the band playing at the Lancaster PA in 2008. A helicopter kept circling the show grounds taking aerial pictures of the meet and the band continued to play on unscathed.
                          But would they keep playing as the ship sinks into the ocean?
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                            I remember the band playing at the Lancaster PA in 2008. A helicopter kept circling the show grounds taking aerial pictures of the meet and the band continued to play on unscathed. They did a great job and I also think they should be recognized for their efforts.
                            And they were -- with a cover photo!

Comment

I believe there was a rather large article about the band and a Studebaker bus that drove them at an event?? Trying to find the issue. And NO it wasn't the bus at Cedar Rapids. I believe Tutone blue is one I'm thinking of unless I'm mixing that bus and the story about the band.

While feelings may be hurt about the bands lack of coverage in S Bend. The statement that the Band has never been featured/mentioned in TW is just not true.
                              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X