Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello Northeast members!!!Please check in...we're praying for you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All is well in western Maine. Lots of rain & some stiff wind, with trees down and power/telephone out, but no significant damage. The coast had it worse, but even that is nothing like NY/NJ/PA.
    Sue

Comment

We fared well here in central CT. Lots of wind, little rain. My sump pump never even kicked on. The power was out from about 7:30 Monday night to 4AM Tuesday morning.
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

DC was on the left side of the storm, so very little storm surge compared to those in NJ and NY, who were on the other side. Had 60-70 knot winds and about 10 inches of rain. (Glad I paid that tree guy $2K last year to take down that 90-foot tall tulip poplar!) Lost power for about 5 hours, but much less than many in our area, who are still out. Gave us an excuse to go out for a long dinner.

The local power company had been raked over the coals over their past outages, and spent all last winter and spring replacing many existing poles with new 60-foot poles, which put the power lines above most of the tree branches. Seems to have worked. Also counted almost 60 bucket trucks with license plates from the deep South and Midwest staged at a local parking lot on the day BEFORE the storm hit.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

We were better prepared this time that with the June derecho when we lost power and phones for more than five days- no power outage at all this time. I think all the trees that were going to fall fell last June. My rain gauge ran over sometime Monday night (5 1/4 inches) and it rained all Tuesday and some last night so I'm guessing we hit at least 10 inches. We had high winds Monday afternoon and most of the night which caused some water leaks in the house. Only trees I saw down were a long-dead locust right at my property line and an old apple tree in the remains of my orchard. Checked the barn this afternoon and except for some water and dirt that blew in on the rear of the '64 Avanti, all was well.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Let's face it...many (most?) of us tend to look mainly at our world from horizon to horizon. Pretty much what we see is what we're concerned about. The magnitude of this weather event is hard to wrap your brain around. Last night, I saw a weather map that showed the circulation of this system affecting weather from Canada to Northern Alabama and here in North and South Carolina.

Here it is, still October, and just where I was riding a motorcycle last week with the temperature near eighty, there was 22 inches of snow. Barely a hundred miles from my house. Awesome!

I keep hearing the statement, "looks like a war zone"...well, I have been in war zones, have yet to see one that can come close to matching the destruction of the forces of nature!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              Let's face it...many (most?) of us tend to look mainly at our world from horizon to horizon. Pretty much what we see is what we're concerned about. The magnitude of this weather event is hard to wrap your brain around. Last night, I saw a weather map that showed the circulation of this system affecting weather from Canada to Northern Alabama and here in North and South Carolina.

Here it is, still October, and just where I was riding a motorcycle last week with the temperature near eighty, there was 22 inches of snow. Barely a hundred miles from my house. Awesome!

I keep hearing the statement, "looks like a war zone"...well, I have been in war zones, have yet to see one that can come close to matching the destruction of the forces of nature!
              The northern fringe of the storm is in the Arctic Circle!
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers!
                Checking in from Southern New Jersey, 30 miles west of Atlantic City NJ. We fared well, better than the coastal areas. We had trees down and flooding, three feet of water in my garage. Packard up on jack stands, tires got wet but, house dry thank God! Glad I listened to my builder back in 1991 to build house two courses of block higher !
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Im in Western Central NJ. No power still here. Had a few trees down on the property but no damage to house. The road out has 10 poles down and another 12 a few roads over.

Comment

Hi , After 10 days we now have our power back on , I have never seen the Jersey shore take a hit like this one , Sandy was not happy with someone , We have ferris wheels and roller coasters that are now artifical reefs , Million dollar bridges that are now boat ramps into the Atlantic ocean , But we will bounch back , To all that sent notes Thank you , Ed & Laura Jones

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                      Hi , After 10 days we now have our power back on , I have never seen the Jersey shore take a hit like this one , Sandy was not happy with someone , We have ferris wheels and roller coasters that are now artifical reefs , Million dollar bridges that are now boat ramps into the Atlantic ocean , But we will bounch back , To all that sent notes Thank you , Ed & Laura Jones
                      Ed, Glad you guys are on the way back, maybe Laura can take that long underwear off now! :-)
                      J & J
                      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Are you kidding , She was afraid the power was not going to stay on not so she slept in them again last night !

Comment

I made it through the storm as well. I'm located at the very bottom of Middlesex county at the border to Mercer County. The damage to me personally was minimal, I cannot even call it damage. However I was with out power for 7 or 8 days, however you want to count it. The entire town I live in, was knocked out as far as power goes, but that is just like every other town here. I was lucky enough to get a generator on Wednesday of last week, so I had my own power. I was heating my house with a wood burning stove and using some candles and Coleman lanterns for light. I have to say it was a nice break not to hear any news for an entire week, all I was hearing was local news on the radio station. Unlike many other storms in my area, I did not get any flooding, that is a major plus for me. My neighbor Tommy S. another Studebaker owner made it through just fine. If you call it lucky, I didn't even miss a day at work including several double shifts, since my job is to maintain air conditioning to a data center for Bloomberg Business, it never shuts down. We were running generator power until today as the utility power was restored just today in South Brunswick.

Todd

Comment

We were without power for four days. I have a generator, but since I have yet to be able to walk again without help we had some issues. THEN my neighbors took over. Each took turns to check gas and fuel up generator if needed, no matter what time in the night it was. When Ellen was at work they all came in to check in on me.

Our ambulance corps called me every four hours to make sure I had food and enough oxygen tanks. We lost half a tree and a lot of branches. We are going to tie the generator into our electrical panel once the parts can be found

Comment

I am not sure what I have to offer for anyone, but don't be afraid to ask me for something. Staten Island is with in my area as well. At the least I have a truck with a full tank of diesel if something needs to be picked up or moved.

If anyone has questions or needs help hooking up generators to your electrical panel, feel free to ask. I am not the foremost authority, but I know enough to do this properly and can find the answers to the questions I don't already know. The main thing if you are already running a generator through your electrical panel, make sure your main breaker is turned off, that is probably the most important thing to remember.

Todd

Comment

I am back! In Monmouth County at the Shore. Lost power and some trees but I'm fine. My niece is several miles in towards the Raritan Bay. She is ok but the street she is on had houses that the water blew through and ripped the walls off.(not hers, she is at the top of the pitch of the road...elevated) I have never seen such destruction.

I want to say this to all the Stude people all over the country. We have seen people come up from all over the country and volunteer to do work. Lark Truck your Amish are here working for free and working like dogs doing all sorts of things. All I can say is I don't need anything, I have tried to help my friends who lost power, but the people who lost entire houses have the entire nation helping them....THANKS TO ALL OF YOU. We have Missippi, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida, police and food distributers just here in my town. The State of NJ has so much help. I know I missed so many states who have sent people and supplies. The destruction is amazing and so is help. Thanks. Check this link...Sea Bright is my next town...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiWZ7w_vhM
                                Last edited by jg61hawk; 11-10-2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X