Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avantilover
    replied
    If you use a Borg-Warner "Flightomatic" 3-speed automatic be aware that they are made (modified valve body I think) to start in 2nd and around 25MPH change up into 3rd. Drives well too but some can recommend a more modern transmission along with advice how to join them together.

Good luck whichever way you go, your son will certainly have a cool truck and be unique in that most folks (generalizing) say "use a SBC" he'll have the "real thing" (Studebaker engine).

Not sure what axle ratio you have but ask if you're considering a change, the forum guys will see you right.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Most of the parts are interchangeable between truck and car engines. There were some external differences (eg, water pump manifold), but none internally -- with the exception of the HD truck engines that have a cloverleaf symbol on their serial number pad. They had exhaust valve rotators, chrome top rings, and some other HD components. Ironically, some of these HD engines got installed in cars in the 1970s when Stude and its successors ran out of passenger car replacement blocks.

Leave a comment:

• Sledgehammer
    replied
    Just out of curiosity, is that better or worse than the truck engine? I really don't care about the numbers matching stuff. I am going to put an automatic in it anyway along with disc brakes , ps, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    So the engine has the number in the 53-64 area and it says V554791.. I dont see that number listed... would that be a 62 Lark 62V 259?
    Yes. The numbers in the table are the starting engine numbers for each year.

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    Hi Doug, lovely truck. Yes, according to my details you have a 1962 259 V8 180 HP @ 4500 RPM, 195 with a 4 barrel manifold and dual exhausts. The main thing I found with mine was the need to drive it so it loosens up over say 500 miles. Like people who sit a lot engines get stiff. These engines get around 20 MPG but I'm sure someone will correct me if that isn't true with a truck.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Sledgehammer
    Fabulous truck. On the matter of the engine compartment... Id have to say this one looks pretty good. Some of the others here on the forum would concur with the following: I've found cars and trucks that have had wood rats living under the hood for so long that the engine is completely hidden from view by the twigs, branches, leaves and other rubbish they find to build their nests with. That and the feces they leave behind usually renders the engine almost completely useless as they can be seized tight to the point of making them boat anchors. That being said, yours looks great.
    I love the notion of adding 3 point belts and disc brakes. Easy add ons that will give you great peace of mind as your son and you enjoy the OOOOhhhs and AAAaaahhs and "thumbs up" you'll be getting every time you take your new truck out on the road.
    Great Fun. My son and I have been loving Studebaker together since he could walk. Going on 30 years now. Enjoy the ride.

Leave a comment:

• oldwood
    replied
    Good to see another Transtar. Happy Motoring!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sledgehammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Here's a table that will allow you to identify the year and size of your engine. See the picture at the bottom of the table to see where the engine serial number is located.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

BTW, you have the controls for the heater, but not the heater box, blower fan, and associated hardware. It fits over that rectangular hole in the dash "'shelf".

So the engine has the number in the 53-64 area and it says V554791.. I dont see that number listed... would that be a 62 Lark 62V 259?
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 10-28-2012, 09:04 PM. Reason: is that how you read the serial number?

Leave a comment:

• Sledgehammer
    replied
    Thanks for all the compliments. The Previous owner said that was the original motor... ?? Maybe it's not. It wasn't a selling point, he actually said something like "that engine is original and very tired and really needs rebuilding". It really doesn't matter. He also sent us the original(ish) looking heater box, fan, hoses, and tubes.

That vintage air is sweet and I am going to have to get that on the list. It's hot in Texas and my son says I will just ride with the windows down... I would rather him be comfortable.

and It's definitely getting three point seat belts and disc brakes. I was really hesitant to buy it for fear of an accident and him getting hurt. I am WAY overprotective... but I am going to do my best to get it as safe as possible.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Very nice looking Truck, your Son is a very lucky Guy!

I guess the former owner liked LOTS of Air! And a Police Intercepter Sound.

That Air Cleaner has TWO larger than the stock single snorkle tube on a '62 Lark that it started out as, and a misfitting Element also.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    There are black reproduction rear-fender gravel-shields available for your truck. Would look good.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    He is happier than heck.
    Luckier than heck as well! If only I could have started with something that solid.

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    If you want to put air conditioning in it, Vintage Air has a unit specifically designed for your truck. I have one in mine and love it. It attaches using the original holes in and under your dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	final 008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1675898 Click image for larger version

Name:	Christm2011 003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1675897

Leave a comment:

• LarkTruck
    replied
    Very cool! Reminds me of my high school days driving my 54 Studie Pick-Up. You Da Man Dad, hope your son makes many miles and smiles with it. :-)
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    That is a cool truck. I would drive it and I'm not a truck guy!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X