No announcement yet.

New Studebaker Owner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the compliments. The Previous owner said that was the original motor... ?? Maybe it's not. It wasn't a selling point, he actually said something like "that engine is original and very tired and really needs rebuilding". It really doesn't matter. He also sent us the original(ish) looking heater box, fan, hoses, and tubes.

That vintage air is sweet and I am going to have to get that on the list. It's hot in Texas and my son says I will just ride with the windows down... I would rather him be comfortable.

and It's definitely getting three point seat belts and disc brakes. I was really hesitant to buy it for fear of an accident and him getting hurt. I am WAY overprotective... but I am going to do my best to get it as safe as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      Here's a table that will allow you to identify the year and size of your engine. See the picture at the bottom of the table to see where the engine serial number is located.

BTW, you have the controls for the heater, but not the heater box, blower fan, and associated hardware. It fits over that rectangular hole in the dash "'shelf".

So the engine has the number in the 53-64 area and it says V554791.. I dont see that number listed... would that be a 62 Lark 62V 259?
      Last edited by Sledgehammer; 10-28-2012, 08:04 PM. Reason: is that how you read the serial number?

Comment

Good to see another Transtar. Happy Motoring!!!

Comment

Sledgehammer
          Fabulous truck. On the matter of the engine compartment... Id have to say this one looks pretty good. Some of the others here on the forum would concur with the following: I've found cars and trucks that have had wood rats living under the hood for so long that the engine is completely hidden from view by the twigs, branches, leaves and other rubbish they find to build their nests with. That and the feces they leave behind usually renders the engine almost completely useless as they can be seized tight to the point of making them boat anchors. That being said, yours looks great.
          I love the notion of adding 3 point belts and disc brakes. Easy add ons that will give you great peace of mind as your son and you enjoy the OOOOhhhs and AAAaaahhs and "thumbs up" you'll be getting every time you take your new truck out on the road.
          Great Fun. My son and I have been loving Studebaker together since he could walk. Going on 30 years now. Enjoy the ride.
          sals54

Comment

Hi Doug, lovely truck. Yes, according to my details you have a 1962 259 V8 180 HP @ 4500 RPM, 195 with a 4 barrel manifold and dual exhausts. The main thing I found with mine was the need to drive it so it loosens up over say 500 miles. Like people who sit a lot engines get stiff. These engines get around 20 MPG but I'm sure someone will correct me if that isn't true with a truck.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgehammer View Post
              So the engine has the number in the 53-64 area and it says V554791.. I dont see that number listed... would that be a 62 Lark 62V 259?
              Yes. The numbers in the table are the starting engine numbers for each year.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Just out of curiosity, is that better or worse than the truck engine? I really don't care about the numbers matching stuff. I am going to put an automatic in it anyway along with disc brakes , ps, etc.

Comment

Most of the parts are interchangeable between truck and car engines. There were some external differences (eg, water pump manifold), but none internally -- with the exception of the HD truck engines that have a cloverleaf symbol on their serial number pad. They had exhaust valve rotators, chrome top rings, and some other HD components. Ironically, some of these HD engines got installed in cars in the 1970s when Stude and its successors ran out of passenger car replacement blocks.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

If you use a Borg-Warner "Flightomatic" 3-speed automatic be aware that they are made (modified valve body I think) to start in 2nd and around 25MPH change up into 3rd. Drives well too but some can recommend a more modern transmission along with advice how to join them together.

Good luck whichever way you go, your son will certainly have a cool truck and be unique in that most folks (generalizing) say "use a SBC" he'll have the "real thing" (Studebaker engine).

Not sure what axle ratio you have but ask if you're considering a change, the forum guys will see you right.
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                    X