6 volt turn signal flasher needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 volt turn signal flasher needed

I am drawing a blank finding a 6 volt, two prong flasher unit. 1955 Studebaker C President. None are at S.I.l or at S. West. O'Reilly only has 6 volts with 3 prongs on the base. I tossed mine as it didn't work. Who knew it would be this hard to find a replacement. It doesn't help much to know that turn signals were an "Option" on the 55s.

Mine had two opposing and paralell base prongs (about 3/4" apart). It plugs in to the Aux. Electric Buss. I would like a line on a new one but would glady take a used one that works. Darnnnnn. Back in the day I probably had 5 or 10 of these in a drawer.

If you have an extra, please send P/M with cost. It should fit in a small "If it Fits It shops" box at the USPS.

Thanks All

C/B

I bought one within the last 2 years at my local parts store. I dont remember which store it was but it wasnt a major search for one. Try your local NAPA or Carquest and see if they can order it for you. Good luck, Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I think the 3-prong ones will work. The third prong is for the telltale lamp on systems that require a third prong. Now whether the two that you have to use will match the layout of the socket is another thing, but a couple of short jumper wires might help.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Try Volkswagen shops they have lots of them.
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Would this work?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/360456862670
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Rock . The one on E bay has prongs at a 90 degree angle to each other. Anne I will look for VW Parts Tomrrow. Gordr: If VW doesn't get it, the jumper wire thing probably will. A local auto supply (independent) has a 3 prong on hold for me. I may resort to a remoted socket for it, (Or wire cutters).

Thank You all for the excellent leads.

C/B

Comment

Hello, Yes can use a #535 flasher and buy a old fashioned
              sealed beam 3 prong headlamp socket, has the three wires already attached.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

'Not sure if he has them, but don't hesitate to contact regular Turning Wheels advertiser Randy Rundle at Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts in Clay Center KS for anything related to 6-volt electrics. If he doesn't have it, he will know where to send you to find it. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I used the three prong with a little pig-tail to wire it to the two prong base. Still working. You only need two of the the three prongs.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                  X