Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

studebakers answers to the early ford roadsters??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebakers answers to the early ford roadsters??

looking for something thats like the late 30s fords cause i wanna make a open wheeled hot rod. but i dont wanna be just another 32 3-5 window guy.

wanna stay studebaker roots! any ideas?! thank you

also trying to keep things traditional hotroding!

Comment

http://chico.craigslist.org/cto/3346328178.html

i want it!

Comment

Here's a good start in Florida...

http://www.racingjunk.com/Studebaker...Drag-Race.html
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          GARY JOHNS !! He's the guy that did all of my engine machine work.. He's the best !!

Comment

Originally posted by carothersbs View Post
            looking for something thats like the late 30s fords cause i wanna make a open wheeled hot rod. but i dont wanna be just another 32 3-5 window guy.

Open wheeled hot rod? Most late 30s models of any make are 'fat fendered' and just don't come off too well without fenders, unless they have been very severely altered by chopping and channeling.
            Open wheeled rods traditionally are based upon pre-1935 bodies that had the old 'T' through '34 Ford 'clamshell' type of fenders. (that all early rodders were prone to take off and throw in the dumpster the day they bought the car_ I know 'cause I did exactly that with my first old Ford, a '36 pickup, way back in the summer of '62.

Up through '34 there were several models of Studebaker products that might make nice traditional style open wheel rods.
            The '20s through '34 Presidents were very big automobiles, and would require using huge tires to maintain decent aesthetic proportions, and the prices these early 30s Presidents bring would likely make you think twice....or faint at the thought of rodding one.
            The early 30s Dictators and Rockneys are not much different size wise or style wise from similar year Fords, and would make nice traditional open wheel rods, but really there are not many left and everything is gonna cost you more than an equivelent Ford, with reproduction parts availability being almost nil.
            The little Erskine's of the early '30s are cuter than hell, looking like a 3/4 scale Model A, but being much too expersive for the time and market there were very few sold, and precious few survive. But man, would they make a cartoon ride, open wheeled and with any big block.

My view on all of this would be if you want a old-timey open wheel hot rod you would be much further ahead by starting off your build with one of the early Ford bodies and chassis.
            Want to make a Studebaker out of it? Do a little customizing, perhaps a DuVall windshield and a laid back Studebaker styled grill, early Stude style pinstriping and 50's period styled twin carbed Stude 259-304 V-8, And you'll be stylin in a classic open wheel 'Studebaker' rod that will only rise in value, and will never go out of style.

Edited to add. The Antique Studebaker Club usually has a variety of '20s and '30s Studebakers listed, some at very reasonable prices for what you are getting. But you best not mention anything about open wheels or hot rodding if you wish to be able to buy anything
            Last edited by Jessie J.; 10-28-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
              GARY JOHNS !! He's the guy that did all of my engine machine work.. He's the best !!
              He's not the best at pricing cars.
              I'll give him $300.00 if he will deliver it.

Dean

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                He's not the best at pricing cars.
                I'll give him $300.00 if he will deliver it.

Dean
                I agree,,, This guy was the best on engines in the Southeast..

Comment

Originally posted by carothersbs View Post

I always thought this guy's design was way cool...
                  http://www.citlink.net/~junge/Phantoms/PH-19-50.htm
                  sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Regal Deluxe Trim
                  Automatic transmission
                  46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X