Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bordeaux Daytona
    replied
    Was 1956 the first year for a third seat? I thought I read that here years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Bordeaux Daytona
    replied
    Yeah, those are the brackets my parts wagon still had. Thanks.

I thought about putting a mini spare in the back seat area on the floor. I guess if you left that metal support out of the well then it might bend or crack the seat not to mention there's not much for it to bolt too.
    Some newer cars didn't even come with a spare. The previous Ford Focus was one. They came with a small 12 volt air compressor and a can of tire slime sealer. I don't know if they were trying to save on weight or costs. That stuff can ruin the tire low pressure sensors not to mention being a pain to clean out so I don't why they did that. It could be ok for a wagon with a 3rd seat just in case.

Leave a comment:

• scott.rodgers
    replied
    I thought about putting a third seat in my Wagonaire too. I decided against it because: a) I'd never actually use it and b) I wanted to have a spare tire.

I found a bunch of pictures during my research. Here's third seats at SASCO plus some pictures of the parts involved from a (very) used seat set offered on the internet a couple of years ago:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bordeaux Daytona
    replied
    Thanks stude1964.
    This is the most info I've seen on these 3rd seats so I appreciate all the replies. I would love to see some pics too.
    The 64 parts wagon I have had a piece of carpet in the rear of the tire well that has the edge trimmed with vinyl so I guess that's original. Anybody else have that in theirs? I'm thinking that it doesn't help things if gets water in there. It was rusty for being a fixed roof.
    I taked to Chris Dresbach a few weeks back and he thought that Stude Int. had the 3rd seat parts numbers.
    Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 10-29-2012, 02:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stude1964
    replied
    Yes you will need the bracket to which the seat attaches. This bracket splits the spare area in 1/2. Also make sure you have the brackets to latch the seat back. I aquired a 3rd seat for my '64 wagon but was missing these brackets that mount on the inner fender wells. They came from N & A. At the time they had bins of them. I know there were blueprints of the 3rd seat as we used them to locate the part numbers! Even down to a schematic to locate the holes & screw size. Good luck in finding the seat or even a decent wagon. Right now Hurricane Sandy is kicking our butts. We were hoping to get the car out this weekend for our last show . If it's decent enough I'll take some pics of the back end of my wagon.
    Rob in PA.

Leave a comment:

• Bordeaux Daytona
    replied
    SASCO still had some blue and brown third seats before it closed. Talk to Studebaker International, they probably saved them but haven't listed them in their catalog.
    Here's the post you made about the seat a few years back. I couldn't find it here doing a search but it showed up by using google.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t-Part-Numbers
    I wonder if the place that bought all the interior trim has the 3rd seat backs too.
    I was pulling the seats out of my 64 fixed roof parts wagon a few weeks back and I realized it still had those brackets that the top half of the 3rd seat rest against. The previous owner sold the 3rd seat but he must have forgotten the brackets. I'll try to post a picture of them.
    The support piece that goes in the tire well probably can be made out of sheet metal. I thought if leaving it out so maybe a mini spare can fit underneath.
    John

Leave a comment:

• scott.rodgers
    replied
    SASCO still had some blue and brown third seats before it closed. Talk to Studebaker International, they probably saved them but haven't listed them in their catalog.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Originally posted by Milaca View Post
    The seat is a simple design that any upholsterer could fabricate. Perhaps the museum or Studebaker International has blueprints for it that one could get a copy of. If not, I could photograph and measure the seat in my Wagonaire.
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. A 2 door is likely all we'll need, but I do like the 'different'-ness of the wagon. When we start seriously looking, we'll see what's out there.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    The seat is a simple design that any upholsterer could fabricate. Perhaps the museum or Studebaker International has blueprints for it that one could get a copy of. If not, I could photograph and measure the seat in my Wagonaire.

Leave a comment:

• 57pack
    replied
    Hello, If anyone has a third seat and parts for sale,
    Let me know!

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Good to know. I'll worry about how much that is if and when I get a wagon to put it in.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    To answer your original question: They can be added without any structural changes. Just gotta have the parts to add.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Black cars, interior or exterior, are deal breakers here in the sunny state. Particularly without a/c, but even so.

Watch me end up with a black car

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    Aack. Option.

When and how often was the 3rd seat option put in the Studebaker wagons? Is it as rare as it seems it might be?

Do you basically have to have the rear cargo area already designed for one, in other words, it doesn't seem to be something you could easily add to a wagon that didn't already come with that option.
    When I ordered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire from South Bend they were trying to close down production. They offered me a wagon they had in unsold stock. It had every option I wanted (many), even the exterior color was right, but I turned it down. Reasons- the interior was black and it had the third seat option. South Bend simply cancelled my order rather than try to build it

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    My 1963 Daytona Wagonaire has the third seat option, which includes a fold-down step mounted to the tailgate. The third seat is great for transporting basketball players as they have infinite head room with the roof slid forward.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X