50's commander starlight coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50's commander starlight coupe

Is there a way of finding out how many of these cars are still in existence ???

50 comm strlt pc.jpg
    No there is not.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Its not rare if that's what your really asking.
      Well maybe compared to say a bell air.

Dean

Comment

There are getting to be almost as many Custom Modified 1950 and 1951 Starlight Coupe Champions and Commanders as Original ones.
        After this many years not a huge number are left, but 1950 WAS Studebaker's Biggest post war sales year EVER 350,000 Cars!

There are still a fair number of '50 & '51's out there but mostly 4 Door Sedans.
        It is my opinion that the number really has little to do with the value, the condition and desirability of a Model is what turns people's cranks.

I call it idle curiosity, that's what it is. I am always asked that question when people see my Studebaker, it's right up there with "what Year?"
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Rooneytoons View Post
          Is there a way of finding out how many of these cars are still in existence ???
          If you are talking about only the bulletnose 50 and 51s, there were about 31,000 Commander Starlights made. How many survive? I would be surprised if there were more than 10k whole cars left. While looking for mine over about two years time, I only saw two others for sale and they were both listed at over $30k. There were about 80k Champions Starlights built during this time, but it sounded like you are asking only about Commanders. I think you have yourself a rare bird...
          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
          Regal Deluxe Trim
          Automatic transmission
          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

IMG_0412 50 comm strlt.jpg
            Here's one you might enjoy.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]18547[/ATTACH]
              No there is not.
              That's a shame

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                Its not rare if that's what your really asking.
                Well maybe compared to say a bell air.

Dean
                That wasn't what I was looking tbh , although records say there was only 4383 made so I'd guess that would make it a tad rare I just wondered how many we're still alive and kicking

Comment

That wasn't what I was looking tbh , although records say there was only 4383 made so I'd guess that would make it a tad rare I just wondered how many we're still alive and kicking
                  I have really grown to like the commander front over the champion, I'm using a champion front on my car and wish it was a commander but then i would need a different dash too.

Comment

Post a picture Dean

Comment

Post a picture Dean
                      Sorry i lost all my pics when my computer died. I will at some point get them back but haven't yet.
                      Also because of a discontinued work email lost my photobucket account so I'm just not having any luck with my old photos .
                      Right now my 52 hard top body is of the frame and stored in my other garage but i have 51 champion front fenders and a 50 grill all which came came with the car when i bought it.
                      Right now I'm waiting for my narrowed Furd 9" to be finished by Oceanside drive line so I can start getting her back together.
                      Its nowhere as nice as the car in your sig. Photo but maybe someday.

Dean.

Comment

Blinking hell not so good , just emailed you a photo

Comment

A 1950 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe is a large, in-your-face, VERY special car.......A Friend of Mine owns a 1950 Commander Convertible which, in it's own way, is even MORE special!

Comment

I have a couple of 50 commander starlights. Very rare. Try to find one with automatic. I have one which is a starlight and rare.

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                              ... I'm using a champion front on my car and wish it was a commander but then i would need a different dash too.
                              Dean,
                              If we're talking strictly about the 1950, you're using the only front you can. 1950 Commander and 1950 Champion from the firewall forward were two different animals. Swapping anything up there would require great skills in torching and welding. 1951? No issue.
                              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                              X