Original owner Avantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original owner Avantis?

I just received an order for a window price sticker for a '64 Avanti from a party in FL. The owner has had the car since new. I know of one other original owner in Ohio? Are there others? Just curious if the AOAI (or anyone else) keeps tabs on such things?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Ed Burris here in GA bought his '64 new. He still drives it to every International meet and anywhere else there's a Stude meet. Well, that or the '63 Cruiser he also bought new.

Comment

Good, that's three, any more?
      Richard Quinn

Comment

I suppose Oliver Yanko qualifies, though the car is now in the care and keeping of his daughter.

Craig

Comment

My parents bought me R5051 in October of 1963, I still have it.

Bob Caser
          mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
            My parents bought me R5051 in October of 1963, I still have it.

Bob Caser
            Bob;
            Great!! If I am not mistaken your mother Ida bought it exactly 49 years ago yesterday (October 25, 1963) from J. Campbell of Bendix Motors Inc. of Fairview, NJ. Sounds like a good excuse for a party!!
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Tim Shelly of Wadsworth, OH has a turquoise '64 he bought new at Loudermilk Motors in Wadsworth new. Its serial no. is in the 5500's, I remember that...has "thick seats" and other late Studebaker updates. I think he sold it once but bought it back, but not sure. Tim's a busy guy and runs a glass and upholstery shop in Wadsworth in Loudermilk's old building. The Avanti is an R2 4-speed.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Bob;
                Great!! If I am not mistaken your mother Ida bought it exactly 49 years ago yesterday (October 25, 1963) from J. Campbell of Bendix Motors Inc. of Fairview, NJ. Sounds like a good excuse for a party!!
                Richard,
                You are correct. I always delight in telling my car friends of your ability to provide this information. I did contact you several years ago to ask for a Retail Delivery confirmation for two Avanti's, and you amazed me that you had them available at your fingertips. Because of my age at the time of purchase my Mother had to do the transaction with the dealer. My car was dealer traded to a dealer in Long Island the trade was a 64 R2, 4 speed, Hawk for R5051. I often wonder what happened to that Hawk. My mother drove a Buick Riviera, so our house had twofuture milestone cars on October, 25th. I have many great memories and will continue to with my turquoise Avanti.

Bob Caser
                mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                  Tim Shelly of Wadsworth, OH has a turquoise '64 he bought new at Loudermilk Motors in Wadsworth new. Its serial no. is in the 5500's, I remember that...has "thick seats" and other late Studebaker updates. I think he sold it once but bought it back, but not sure. Tim's a busy guy and runs a glass and upholstery shop in Wadsworth in Loudermilk's old building. The Avanti is an R2 4-speed.
                  Yes, Tim's car is the one I was referring to in Ohio. It is serial R-5539. It was not built as an R2, Tim added the supercharger not long after he bought it.
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                    Richard,
                    You are correct. I always delight in telling my car friends of your ability to provide this information. I did contact you several years ago to ask for a Retail Delivery confirmation for two Avanti's, and you amazed me that you had them available at your fingertips. Because of my age at the time of purchase my Mother had to do the transaction with the dealer. My car was dealer traded to a dealer in Long Island the trade was a 64 R2, 4 speed, Hawk for R5051. I often wonder what happened to that Hawk. My mother drove a Buick Riviera, so our house had two future milestone cars on October, 25th. I have many great memories and will continue to with my turquoise Avanti.

Bob Caser
                    Bob, interesting indeed, your mother had good taste in cars! Yes your Avanti was originally from Warta Motors in Merrick, NY and it was traded to Bendix Motors the day before your mother purchased it. Trades between dealers was a common occurrence and, it seems, especially so with the Avanti.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                      Bob, interesting indeed, your mother had good taste in cars! Yes your Avanti was originally from Warta Motors in Merrick, NY and it was traded to Bendix Motors the day before your mother purchased it. Trades between dealers was a common occurrence and, it seems, especially so with the Avanti.
                      Richard,
                      Another Avanti that I own R5487 was also dealer traded here in California. With information you provided me Iwas able to contact the original owner and fill in some blanks before my purchase in 1982. R5051 my original car, needed to be traded from Warta Motors because Bendix motors had no Avantis in stock. They were a very small dealer without even a showroom to display cars. I believe my constant dinner table banter helped influence my mothers decision to purchase certain cars.

Bob Caser
                      mrbobinc

Comment

I always thought of dealer trades as something that didn't occur 'til later, as I first did that when I bought a 1981-model Chevrolet Monte Carlo. But, when I looked at retail sales cards at the SNM Archives from my hometown Stude dealer, I saw that he traded a good bit himself. He got (and sold) a Bordeaux Red '64 Daytona convertible 4-speed (serial 64V-5962) from Advance Studebaker in Buffalo, NY, and later traded away a '65 Daytona Sports Sedan for a more pedestrian Commander. BTW, the last new Stude he sold was a Timberline Turquoise '66 Cruiser with the off-white vinyl interior. He doesn't remember it himself, but per the SNM archives it was sold to a fellow who lived about 20 miles away and who traded in a '60 Lark.
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Richard,
                          At the South Bend meet this summer, I met an older couple, Mr & Mrs Joe Parker, from Coco Beach, Florida that drove their Red 63 R 1 with air, Avanti ( R3179) to the meet. Joe, a retired electrical engineer from NASA, entertained us with stories from the earlier NASA days. He also told us how he had ordered the car and waited 3 months for it to come in. He had the Avanti in the survivor class at South Bend.
                          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Interesting. Already more original owners than I anticipated. esp when one considers it has been close to 50 years!
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                              R2524 was purchased from the original owner's (Milt Green) family in 2004 in Wheeling, WV. When I asked the son who was handling the sale who refurbished the Avanti he advised me, Tim Shelley. Tim and I have talked on the phone and he was helpful in providing some history. Milt purchased the car from Maffe Bros., Inc. in Bellaire, OH and took delivery on 01/31/63. It is my understanding that Tim's car has very low mileage.
                              Last edited by Bob Bryant; 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
                              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X