X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dean pearson
    replied
    Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
    I'm waiting for a Star Trek style replicator. Just punch the button and the atoms form into what you need. New 52 upper grille bar? No Problem!
    I saw two for sale in a collection of parts on Ebay the other day.
    Couldn't believe it! Both were together with complete grills.

I looked a Matthews expired 51 ad on Ebay and it was one of the other suggestions,
    Guy wanted $4500 for what looked like a nice group off stuff including complete cars.

I need an upper grill bar too.

Dean

Leave a comment:

• klifton1
    replied
    I have a Brookville body on my 29 roadster. The fit a finish of that body is so superior to the origional, particularly after 83 years of hard use. I think it was also cheaper, than spending the time to straighten the origional one .
    Klif

Leave a comment:

• raprice
    replied
    That '40 Ford coupe is really beautiful. I can understand the high cost of producing such a car because there's a very limited market for it.
    Most auto collectors don't have the money to shell out for that body.
    Roger

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
    I might be tempted to pay that much for a 56 Nomad (absolutely THE best looking wagon EVER, IMHO)
    Oh yeah, '56s! I'm with 'ya Jim, the '56 Nomad is beautiful. I won't walk across the road to look at a '55 or '57 Chevy, but IMHO the '56 Chevys are beautiful (and not just the Nomads).

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    replied
    The tri-five Chevy complete NEW steel bodies are $16k. I might be tempted to pay that much for a 56 Nomad (absolutely THE best looking wagon EVER, IMHO) but not the other styles, not even a hardtop or convertible. Does that make me a CASO?

Leave a comment:

• deco_droid
    replied
    That's what I was thinking, Jessie -- that the younger crowd coming up would be more interested in glass fenders, hoods and so on. I'm glad there are still a few original body parts out there for my car though, not sure about other years or models.

Leave a comment:

• Jessie J.
    replied
    I'm happy with, and actually prefer high quaity fiberglass bolt-on fenders and doors. No more rust problems, and less susceptable to normal parking lot dents.
    Over the years I have examined several very nice Hawks, Larks, and Champs that were recipiants of fiberglass fenders, and the difference in fit and finish could only be detected by the most persnickity examination.
    I'd much rather put up with the barely detectable change from the original material, than ever having the return of that dreadful blistering and bulging 'South Bend racing stripe'.

Leave a comment:

• njonkman
    replied
    Originally posted by lschuc View Post
    If only we could get new bodies and panels for our Studebakers!!

1940 Ford Coupe re-created for SEMA

Reproduction shell aimed at hot rodders

The 1940 Ford Coupe will join Ford's group of officially licensed steel-reproduction car bodies. It's available for ordering now, along with the 1965-1970 Mustang.
    ....Read the rest from AutoWeek Magazine here: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121026/SEMA/121029893
    Here is a guy that can teach to make any part you need for your car body.
    You will learn a lot from this site. <http://www.lazzemetalshaping.com/>
    Nick

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
    I believe that you will find that China is the source of the Dennis Carpenter 40 Ford parts so the pricing is already discounted from that standpoint. I'm not going to research the source of the Camaro or Mustang bodies that are priced in the same ball park but my money is on the same source.It would be nice to have the dies manufactured here along with the parts but currently not the case.

To price Studebaker parts in the same ball park as the above bodies and fenders, the source would need to be the same.

Bob
    Not sure about the repop 1940 Ford coupe; but, the Dynacorn Camaro/Firebird/Mustang/etc. bodies are sourced from Taiwan.

As for China; its labor costs are skyrocketing due in large part to its government mandated '1 child per family' policy in force since ca. 1980. The actual birthrate is ca. 1.5 kids per but; with replacement level of 2.1, the demographic pyramid is smaller at younger ages than people age 30 or older. It's to the point that more and more production is returning to the 'high wage' USA since it's actually cheaper here.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Having worked in a metal fabrication shop, and having seen old footage of auto production, I pretty sure it would take more than three stampings to make a C/K fender.
    Some time back a photo was published in T/W (or was it here?) that showed the outdoor storage area of body stamping dies for one model year. It was gargantuan!

Leave a comment:

• qsanford
    replied
    Many of the replacement Morris Minor panels are from Sri Lanka. At one point they were hand formed! I don't know if this is still the case. At least it is not China.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Originally posted by JimC View Post
    You know, I hate to even think of doing it to our wonderful American cars, but I'd bet you could probably find a factory someplace in Asia who could reproduce a whole freight container full of fenders, doors, and other parts for less than the cost of buying just the dies here.
    I believe that you will find that China is the source of the Dennis Carpenter 40 Ford parts so the pricing is already discounted from that standpoint. I'm not going to research the source of the Camaro or Mustang bodies that are priced in the same ball park but my money is on the same source.It would be nice to have the dies manufactured here along with the parts but currently not the case.

To price Studebaker parts in the same ball park as the above bodies and fenders, the source would need to be the same.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    As it is; quite a few of the 'hidden' sheetmetal parts are already available like floorpans, etc.

Leave a comment:

• qsanford
    replied
    Another popular item would be Lark front fenders,'59-'63. They would fit all the Champ pickups, too.

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    Jimc sad to say you are right. If only you could some quality out of them. Chris. Your numbers on a ck fender is that to build a complete fender? On most all you would need would be a outer skin that could be plug welded onto the old inner fender. On a gt you would only need up to the top mldg.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X