Sept. 1963 Wall Street Journal Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sept. 1963 Wall Street Journal Article

Everyone seemed to enjoy the Sept. 1963 "Don't Count Studebaker Out" article from a couple days ago, so here's another one found when putting the first one back in storage.

This is dated September 16, 1963, so we know for sure when it was published. Cousin George Krem had underlined parts of the article "back in the day" and then mailed it to me. It's been stored in my 1963 calendar year file ever since. Parts of it read such that we can be sure Frank Salzarulo's article in the Indianapolis newspaper from a couple days ago was undoubtedly published within a week of this one either way.

This is a longer article and was in poorer shape than the one a couple days ago, so it required a bit more cut and paste from photocopying the original three times to get it all in! I played with the enhancements as much as possible, so I hope it can be read on 'most everyone's monitor.

Interesting stuff, to be sure, at a critical moment in the company's automotive history. 'Too bad the outcome wasn't as good as it had been in similar dark hours 30 years earlier, in 1933. BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 10-26-2012, 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Another great one Bob. Thanks for this one too.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Great story from WSJ. They repeat the 1963 Custom, Regal, Daytona model progression error: we all know it should have been Regal, Custom, then Daytona! The last paragraph might be another indication of why they closed up shop in South Bend that December- they had $100 million in tax credits expiring!

Comment

Thanks for sharing this bit of history!
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

You're all welcome. Nothing happened in a vaccum back then, either; it's great to have the benefit of 50 intervening years to reflect on such detailed analysis. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X