• Show
Clear All

• For the Love of Studebakers

Curt Devan
    Kirksville, MO

Editor, Mid Missouri Chapter Newsletter "Studie News"
    sigpic

Wow, Curt! That's a good plan.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Putting together a web site isn't all that expensive... one doesn't need all the "bells and whistles". Our local chapter built a site using a WIX.com template and we already had our URL via Go-Daddy. Publications like HEMMINGS will give chapters free websites as well, but you will end up with probably a really long URL that isn't easy to remember... or spell. Our chapter is on Facebook as well.
      We still can't get new members though, darn it!
      www.big6sdc.com

Comment

Sir,

I greatly appreciate your post. Our local chapter was discussing your subject at our last monthly meeting. I am probably one of the youngest of the new members and that is saying a lot being that I am 48 years old. I will take your suggestions to the next meeting.

Thak you again for the post

John

Comment

I give away copies of Turning Wheels magazine that I am done with to anyone who shows the slightest interest in Studebakers when I exhibit my '64 Commander at cruise nights. Perhaps that will encourage them to take the next step in Studebakers. I am also considering sending a gift subscription to Turning Wheels to our local library.

A question I get from younger people at cruise nights and when they see my Commander out and about on errands is "who made Studebakers?" I tell them "Studebaker!" It's an opportunity to talk to them about Studebakers.

I rarely attend local SDC chapter meetings though I am a member because they take place an hour away from my home on work nights. Exceptions are holiday gatherings.

Comment

Tom
            Thanks for your ideas. Great tips for Chapters that would like to increase the visibility in their local area. Would you mind if I add it to my ideas for our club?
            Curt
            Curt Devan
            Kirksville, MO

sigpic

Comment

A great deal of thought went into that Great ideas. thank you jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I am a Gen X and a new member, ...

It seems in my experience with Studebakers there are many members with multiple vehicles in various states of disrepair. Vehicles that sit forever with little chance of a sale. How about teaming up with a university or tech school specializing in automotive engineering/mechanics and donating a reasonable shape desirable model for a frame off restoration? The owner would probably get a better tax deduction, then an outright sale. The school can use the vehicle to train students on automotive engineering, design, manufacturing, and various knowledgeable members can lend their skills to teach a new generation about these cars and preserving the knowledge. Imagine the engineers and designers of tomorrow, actually participating in the resurrection of a Loewy coupe for school credit! The cars will be in the perfect environment of people passionate about cars and will result in renewed interest in the brand.

An alternate more lofty route is for the national SDC to engage the SAE and other drivers clubs to sponsor a project for concours restoration of all brands. SAE annually sponsors collegiate Baja, formula, electric, etc. I would think there maybe a significant number of professors and SAE members interested in promoting automotive history through a competition.

Here is a list of automotive schools, that members maybe alumnus of or live near by

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...in-the-us.html

Just my 0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by cdevan View Post
                  Tom
                  Thanks for your ideas. Great tips for Chapters that would like to increase the visibility in their local area. Would you mind if I add it to my ideas for our club?
                  Curt
                  Sure, feel free.

Tom

Comment

Biggie

Thank you for your experience from a generational perspective on Studebakers. I think a restoration project is a great idea for Chapters that have the experience and know-how to assist recruiting new members to their Chapter. Prior to the closure of GM plants in Michigan, General Motors Institute (GMI) would look for the brightest students with a passion for design, so that they would always have a ready source of research developers that were on the cutting edge of automotive technology. Although those days are gone, your idea has merit. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
                    Curt Devan
                    Kirksville, MO

sigpic

Comment

I drove my truck into town today to pick up some Pepsi. ( yes ,it still can haul small stuff) . As I came out of the store , 2 men drove up and parked next to my truck. Said they saw me going thru town and turned around to find me. they wanted to get a better look, I opened doors and hood and they said they had a Studebaker truck setting back in a field that they were thinking of getting out, said it needed a lot of work. I directed them to the Studebaker truck talk page, said it could help with advice and parts. Hopefully, we just got 2 more interested in our fever!.
                      Randy Wilkin
                      1946 M5 Streetrod
                      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Way to go Randy!!

We need a lot more of that in our ranks. There are a lot of Studebakers out there with the potential to be repaired to a safe driving condition before the oncoming warm season is over. We just need to get people interested in them. Taking a couple minutes of your time to show it off is a GREAT way to do that.

Keep it up!
                        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
                          I drove my truck into town today to pick up some Pepsi.
                          I got a fridge full of COKE for you if you ever get up this way!!! And the Coke labels match your truck!!

Craig

Comment

Coke would be fine! Don't know if I will get to Canada , But might get to meet in future in Michigan.
                            Randy Wilkin
                            1946 M5 Streetrod
                            Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Hi guys, I try my best in the UK to get the Studebaker name about. There aren't enough here (70 club members in the whole country!) to organise much but I take mine to as many shows as possible, I take it to work and just use it like I would a normal car.
                              I went and picked up 15 paving slabs (put in the trunk) and 7 bags of sand (back seat) from the local builders the other day. I had 1/2" of suspension travel left but she drove like a boss.

Comment

Working...
                              X