Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Stude moves for the first time since May.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Stude moves for the first time since May.

As some of you may recall my car had the hood fly up on a full moon Cinco de Mayo. This crushed the roof and snowballed into an engine rebuild (and my pocketbook hurts). Here I am in October and for the first time since late May my car moves under its own power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at3iDilHBZ8

I would be driving the car on the road now, but my the overheating battle that has been going on for a year and a half still hasn't been won, while I am pretty sure I have cured it and it was a mass of separate problems. Now Oct 21, I have reassembled the front end enough for legal driving and hope to be cruising to the Perry swap meet like I did last year (except without losing a qt of oil because of a loose valley pan).

Here is the run down on the engine:
    1968 Mopar B 383 block bored 0.0030 over, now a 389
    Flat-top pistons and rebuild kit from Enginetech estimated 10:1 compression and 150 psi cold cranking
    Hardened valve seats installed in heads which are 250 casting (same as 906 for all you MoPar geeks)
    Comp XE268H cam and matched springs
    Weiand dual plane intake with Eddy 750 carb (needs to be jetted richer for more timing)
    Stock distributor with Pertronix Ignitor ignition
    Blocked exhaust crossover
    Hooker fenderwell headers and Thrush glasspacks
    Crank ground 0.0010
    = a hopeful 375 flywheel horsepower
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Nice to see a Mopar-powered Studebaker among all the Chevy-stuffed ones!

Comment

Good for you Alex. That's not such a long time. O, I guess when we get older it changes-HA. I just hope I can have The Saturday Night Special going by May. Good luck, and enjoy.

Comment

Good deal Alex! Let us know how the cooling system does once you get it on the road.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Good for you Alex, now enjoy it!
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Having owned a 1969 383 Dart GTS and a 70 440 6pk Cuda, I can tell you they didn't cool too well from factory. The 440 was worst , but putting a 383 in a Studebaker will probably take a lot of cooling. Haven't followed the build up, so don't know what you have done. Good Luck! the 383 Dart is one car I would like to have back. It surprised a lot of people!
            Randy Wilkin
            1946 M5 Streetrod
            Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Good for you Alex. Mine has been sitting since June and I am trying to get it giong again. Sometimes, these cars can be a real pain!!
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
              X