Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Geez, Jon, thanks for grossly underestimating me! I promise, I too want to go home after work. And, I know how to assure that I do so. And I do it.

Try not to worry.

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Thanks, Warren. I wouldn't mind driving with the door open, it would make it easier.
    Maybe it's the postal manager in me, but I think not. I would sure hope you would reconsider this statement. Things were different back in 63 when the zip van was built and I also believe it was designed for city delivery. I have seen too many rural carriers seriously injured driving city delivery vehicles on country roads. And driving with the door open is russian roulette.

If you want to drive it on your route then you need to modify it to make it safe. If I were your postmaster, I would not allow you to do your route in such an unsafe manner. Not because I could or not because postal regulations prohibit it, but because I would not want to have to notify your wife that you were not coming home. Seriously......

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    I am serious about the r2 for Zip Van trade. I realize it's a long shot. I will start a new thread on this later this week.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Well, I looked at mine just now & I guess that lip has been trimmed off. Whoever did it performed a real neat job, but I want to put the lip back on so the vin plate is correct. Now to find out the dimentions of the lip & how much of it is overlapped to the front. It has to have that or the metal would have been a razor edge. The only other things I see missing on mine is the foot control for the gas pedal & the package screen behind the driver.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
    Chris, I talked to Ed at the La Palma meet last may, talking about the Zip Van parts there but just tonight I put in the part number for the windshield & it shows not available. It would be nice to be able to access the available parts online for us that aren't within driving distance.

I'm going to check out mine tomorrow & see what has been done to the vertical panel directly in front of the driver. I think mine has been shaved so it doesnt have the proper lip that the picture of Franks shows.
    I saw a whole stack of Zip Van windshields at SI this Summer.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Bob, The door & the glass both slide open. As a matter of fact there is a "safety strap" that goes across the door opening so you dont fall out when driving with the door open! The glass on the left side slides also, although on mine it remains closed until I can get enough penetrating oil in there to free it up. Great pictures of Frank Haines Zip Van. Now I see how the ignition switch & the VIN plate are mounted. Mine is missing that big lip going across so that there is no room for the correct vin plate & my ignition switch has been mounted flush by the switch gear.
    Thanks, Warren. I wouldn't mind driving with the door open, it would make it easier; I was concerned about delivering in the rain. Then I would want the door closed but the window open.

Interesting about the lip and ignition switch. If you look at Jeff's picture in his link above, you will see that the dash is almost identical, except the ignition switch is flush mounted as you describe. Yet the Haines switch looks like a factory install. Must be they didn't build them all the same.

Now I'm back to wanting a Zip for my mail route. Anyone got a nice one ready to use or close to it that they'd trade for a complete, ready-to-install r2 engine? Fresh rebuild including supercharger, zero miles, only been run on a test stand. No, I don't want to sell it; I'm saving it for a clone project. But for a nice Zip van, I might let it go.....

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Chris, I talked to Ed at the La Palma meet last may, talking about the Zip Van parts there but just tonight I put in the part number for the windshield & it shows not available. It would be nice to be able to access the available parts online for us that aren't within driving distance.

I'm going to check out mine tomorrow & see what has been done to the vertical panel directly in front of the driver. I think mine has been shaved so it doesnt have the proper lip that the picture of Franks shows.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Mine is missing that big lip going across so that there is no room for the correct vin plate & my ignition switch has been mounted flush by the switch gear.
    That ignition switch location was a later modification made by the USPS. I have seen a few Zip Vans with them modified like that. Originally, they were mounted flat with the rest of the knobs, and like the cars, the switch had a tendency to work loose of its bayonet mount. And in the case of a Zip Van, it would fall into the engine compartment.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
    Studebaker International has many NOS parts for a Zip Van sitting on shelves in South Bend! I saw them last Summer. There is not much call for them, unfortunately.
    I literally just got done going through those Zip Van parts. I have to the conclusion that we have more Zip Van parts than I previously thought, so LETS RESTORE SOME ZIP VANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Bob, The door & the glass both slide open. As a matter of fact there is a "safety strap" that goes across the door opening so you dont fall out when driving with the door open! The glass on the left side slides also, although on mine it remains closed until I can get enough penetrating oil in there to free it up. Great pictures of Frank Haines Zip Van. Now I see how the ignition switch & the VIN plate are mounted. Mine is missing that big lip going across so that there is no room for the correct vin plate & my ignition switch has been mounted flush by the switch gear.
    Last edited by Warren Webb; 10-22-2012, 08:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Chip: THANK YOU for a look at the area I was concerned about, finally. I can see now that the design of that interior would work quite well with how the job is done today! One question from anyone that knows- do either or both of the side windows open- especially the one on the driver's door? I would need to have the door closed but the window open.

I am getting a renewed interest in the idea of freshening a Zip Van and actually using it to deliver mail

Leave a comment:

• raoul5788
    replied
    Bob, here are a few shots of the Zip Van owned by Nutmeg Chapter member Frank Haines.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    This picture is the way that Zip Vans should look with one exception. I believe that this is a prototype truck. All of the production ones that I am familiar with and have seen early pictures of had a different "label" on the radiator cap cover.
    It is. One can see the 'Vanette' name on the label, unlike the production models that read Zip-Van.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    From the USPS Archive.

This picture is the way that Zip Vans should look with one exception. I believe that this is a prototype truck. All of the production ones that I am familiar with and have seen early pictures of had a different "label" on the radiator cap cover.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Mute
    replied
    Studebaker International has many NOS parts for a Zip Van sitting on shelves in South Bend! I saw them last Summer. There is not much call for them, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X