You May Enjoy A Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You May Enjoy A Show

I was allowed (invitation or application) to the following show. This one was done right. They give you breakfast, lunch and a bottle of wine for showing your car. My Hawk is nce, but these cars were in the millions! I was one of three Studebakers. The other two were an all original Golden Hawk, and and perfect Avanti. The link is a quick show of an upper class charity meet that raised 100,000 dollars in one day. What an event. The guy who approved my car told me they want Studebakers because the show could not exist if just Chevys showed up. He admired the "orphan" brands and knows the attendees do too. I agree. ENJOY! Oh PS if you hit the link, hit the arrow to the left to start the video.

http://vimeo.com/51022567
    Last edited by jg61hawk; 10-13-2012, 06:08 PM. Reason: How to start video.

I took the GT to a small local show today. I had the only Studebaker there. There was 1 Rambler and 1 Mustang. Everything else was Chevy! I think the Studebaker and the Rambler got more attention even though there was a Corvette parked between us.

The Rambler belonged to a GIRL! Her name is Betsy Pie. Isn't that the sweetest name you ever heard for a girl? But this girl is all redneck! she likes to hunt deer, and is going to an Automotive Tech School. I was impressed with this young Lady and in talking with her found out I know her Granddad, and knew her late great granddad.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post

The Rambler belonged to a GIRL! Her name is Betsy Pie. Isn't that the sweetest name you ever heard for a girl? But this girl is all redneck! she likes to hunt deer, and is going to an Automotive Tech School. I was impressed with this young Lady and in talking with her found out I know her Granddad, and knew her late great granddad.
      Neil - How old does that make you feel<G>? and you are a decade younger than I am!
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I like small, special shows. Two come to mind.
        1) A small (about 20 cars) meet at the USMA at West Point, NY. It was by invitation and review of car. Studebaker was represented by a 1963 Avanti and my 1953 Commander Starliner.
        2) A small high class/cost car show in Westchester County, NY. I was an invited judge. I remember one Jaguar where the owner would not remove his sheepskin seat covers to expose the upholstery. I docked him points for what I could not see. He was very unhappy. I did get a gourmet meal including a bottle of wine for that (wine AFTER judging). I went to that show in my 1961 Lark VIII Regal two door sedan (not in the show!) to show a "real car" among the expensive cars in the parking lot.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Neil - How old does that make you feel<G>? and you are a decade younger than I am!
          OLD? Yes... But I still enjoyed meeting this young Lady. Matter of fact, she went toschool with my grandson.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

This may be a silly question but here it is anyway. Is there a dress code when you attend a Concours d'Elegance ? I ask this not that I have a car to enter into one of these shows but because I would like to atend the one proposed for Pinehurst next year. Check the link concerning this up coming event. They had a practice run a short while ago that included a Golden Hawk.

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012/10/10/1209712
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
              This may be a silly question but here it is anyway. Is there a dress code when you attend a Concours d'Elegance ? I ask this not that I have a car to enter into one of these shows but because I would like to atend the one proposed for Pinehurst next year. http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012/10/10/1209712
              Hi Joe, I was also lucky enough to be invited to the Monmouth County Concours show at the last minute. It wasn't with my Studebaker but with my Model T Ford. I parked next to one of the organizers at another show, and he invited me to attend on the spot. Anyhow, to answer your question, the brochure I got in the mail suggested formal attire, but I since I am a jeans and t-shirt person, I went in my normal jeans and t-shirt. I was not the only one there wearing jeans, and no one made any comments about it either. As a matter of fact, two men that arrived in a Model A Duesenberg were in casual dress as well.

As far as you say you don't have a car to enter, you might be surprised just like I was. My Model T is far from Concours condition, it was restored about 40 years ago, but I was told by another organizer that certain cars are always welcomed at a concours show, the Model T is one of them and I bet Studebakers are considered one of those cars as well.

Todd

Comment

Hey JG, you missed one other Studebaker, a 39 Studebaker 4 door Sedan from Milstone, NJ. Here are the still shots that I took at the show:

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...0QcuW7Rm5aMWi1

I took pictures of most of the cars, but not all of them.

Todd

Comment

I am embarassed I missed that 39. Yes indeed I should have said I was one of four but somehow I didn't see that car! I see it now in the program and I am sorry I missed it. I blame you JETGREEN for driving me around in your FORD and talking about CORDS and FORDS and Duesenbergs.

Comment

I accept the blame JG. I don't know the owner's name of that 39, but I do know he goes to the Saturday night cruise in at the Friendly's on Rt 9 in Oldbridge. There was so much to see at that show it was easy to miss one car or another. One of these days I will have to take you for a better ride in that old T where I can get it into high gear.

Comment

Working...
                    X