Need nos brake drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need nos brake drums

Searching for a pair of NOS 9" REAR brake drums for a '51 Champion. Drums must have 5 lug hubs installed. Prefer one left hand thread drum and one right hand thread drum, but will accept two lefts or two rights. Or, I will accept one drum if that is all you have. I already have two NOS front drums so don't need those. Please contact me direct at 56cvytrk@bellsouth.net, do not send a PM. Thank you for your time and help!

Charlie Attaway
    Oxford, GA
    Last edited by cvytrk; 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM.

All I have is a complete used four corner set of assemblies from a '51 Commander. Sorry.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Brad,
      I appreciate your response. If I don't locate a NOS pair I may get back with you on your set.

Thanx,
      Charlie

Comment

Roy,
        Thanks for your response, however, at this time I'm going to hold out for a pair of NOS drums. From your message, appears your drums are used. If I can't locate NOS, I may contact you later to see what you have.

Thanx,
        Charlie

Comment

I guess I can appreciate your search for NOS stuff, but really - if a drum measures out to have enough meat left to tolerate a "turning" - what's the harm? Even with all new parts on a '51 Champion - your gonna have pathetic brakes by today's standards.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
            I guess I can appreciate your search for NOS stuff, but really - if a drum measures out to have enough meat left to tolerate a "turning" - what's the harm? Even with all new parts on a '51 Champion - your gonna have pathetic brakes by today's standards.
            Bob,
            I'm upgrading the brakes. If you recall, I bought a pair of NOS 11" Commander FRONT drums from you a few months earlier. I believe the Champion will stop without problems with the 11" Commander brakes up front and the 9" Champion brakes on the rear. You and I discussed this before I bought the drums from you.

Charlie

Comment

Charlie,
              I can appreciate your desire for NOS drums, but looking for them is like looking for a needle in a haystack. There are used drums in good condition around. I would check out auto flea markets. You might get lucky. If there's enough meat on older drums, you'd be in good shape. All the best.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The rear drums for 51-53 are the same between Champion and Commander, and the same from 51 to 53, so do not limit your search to only one year and model.

It will also be helpful if you provide the part numbers as many Studebaker vendors use part numbers for inventory control.

If you upgrade the fronts from Champion to Commander, you must also replace the backing plates, shoes and everything else. It's a bolt on job, but you need all the parts.

You should get a chassis parts book and look up everything.

I did the same conversion on my 51 Champion starlight coupe and it stops like a real car now.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                  Charlie,
                  I can appreciate your desire for NOS drums, but looking for them is like looking for a needle in a haystack. There are used drums in good condition around. I would check out auto flea markets. You might get lucky. If there's enough meat on older drums, you'd be in good shape. All the best.
                  Rog
                  Roger,
                  Thanks for your response. As I said above, I've already purchased NOS 11" Commander drums for the front. I'm sure there are a few NOS 9" rear drums out there, I just have to find them. My present rear drums are OK but they are thin from being turned. Everything else in the brake system is new so why not do it right and replace the rear drums if I can find them. If I don't find them I'll go with the ones I have on the rear and the NOS 11" ones on the front.

Thanx,
                  Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    The rear drums for 51-53 are the same between Champion and Commander, and the same from 51 to 53, so do not limit your search to only one year and model.

It will also be helpful if you provide the part numbers as many Studebaker vendors use part numbers for inventory control.

If you upgrade the fronts from Champion to Commander, you must also replace the backing plates, shoes and everything else. It's a bolt on job, but you need all the parts.

You should get a chassis parts book and look up everything.

I did the same conversion on my 51 Champion starlight coupe and it stops like a real car now.
                    Roy,
                    Thanks for your input. I knew that about the '51-'53 drums being the same and I should have stated that along with the parts numbers in my post. I do have an original chassis book. I already have the 11" backing plates and NOS drums for the front I just need to purchase the larger wheel cylinders and shoes. I'm glad to hear from someone that has done this already and that it is a worthwhile swap. Our car is also a '51 Champion Regal Starlight Coupe.

Thanx,
                    Charlie

Comment

Working...
                    X