Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the hardest Studebaker Fuel pump to replace??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
    This 50 commander has 53k on it. I previously replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago. This one was pumping oil out the vent holes. This winter I am going to rebuild one with the more modern kits the vendors sell. I assume the newer gas is not agreeing with the 1950 era rubbers in the pump. Both replacements were NOS pumps.
    Ah, ethanol strikes again! If I ever encounter this I suppose I will go with the new kits as well...
    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
    Regal Deluxe Trim
    Automatic transmission
    46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I pulled the oil pan off of the engine that is going in my '57 Transtar to inspect everything. It came out of a '50 Commander. I notice the fuel pump had been replaced . The bolts that secured it where almost touching the camshaft. So be sure and not just use any old "long" bolt because of clearance issues with the cam.

Comment

I made a mistake on my engine info. It came out of a Champion. I'll try and post a pic of that problem.

Comment

This 50 commander has 53k on it. I previously replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago. This one was pumping oil out the vent holes. This winter I am going to rebuild one with the more modern kits the vendors sell. I assume the newer gas is not agreeing with the 1950 era rubbers in the pump. Both replacements were NOS pumps.
          Looks like this was my problem after all, so I am in the market for either a rebuild kit or a new pump for my 50 Commander. I see in the shop manual that there are about 50 parts to this thing, but can you change out the old rubber without taking everything apart? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but I just don't want to get in over my head...
          sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
          Automatic transmission

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            It is completely un-understandable. At a level never seen before. No one else has come close. Thus, sentence of the Year.
            I remember a few years ago when one of our members posted a very garbled message and a lot of people made fun of him and posted some pretty vicious replies. Turned out he had had a stroke. there were a lot of I am so sorry etc replies. I hope this won't be a similar situation.

Comment

I think that ANY fuel pump on a Studie is as easy as pie compared to some late model pumps I have changed on the new breed of cars out there !
              Joseph Kastellec

Comment

Sounds like what happened with mine... what vent holes are you talking about though?
                sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                Automatic transmission

Comment

Working...
                X