Rear-window louvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear-window louvers

A couple of presidents ago I was able to have custom rear-window louvers made, in steel on old-school tooling, by a company in Australia. I'm thinking one of these louver units (recently seen here on the '48 Pontiac orphan) would be a really good upgrade for my Golden Hawk. Has anyone seen a set of these for CKs or know of a custom source? Were they ever offered as a dealer option?

I've seen factory blinds in 47-52 Starlight coupes and 4 door sedans, and know of a '63 Lark that has it. Never seen any for a C/K, but that's not to say it hasn't been done.

Comment

I've seen works blinds in 47-52 Starlight coupes and 4 entry sedans, and hump of a '63 Romp that has it. Never seen any for a C/K, but that's not to say it hasn't been through.

Comment

Matt: Not a C/K but remember the louvers in my 66 cruiser.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

I wonder how many guys still make blinds?

As a kid in Japan in the early 60s, they were fitted to almost every luxury sedan...it was seen as a sign of prestige.
          As recently as the mid-80s, I saw some in a pimped-out Mercedes here.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Ayres View Post
            A couple of presidents ago I was able to have custom rear-window louvers made, in steel on old-school tooling, by a company in Australia. I'm thinking one of these louver units (recently seen here on the '48 Pontiac orphan) would be a really good upgrade for my Golden Hawk. Has anyone seen a set of these for CKs or know of a custom source? Were they ever offered as a dealer option?
            Since the OP specifically stated "rear-window louvers" perhaps we should not automatically assume he meant "Blinds"!

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/AST10516.htm#
            Last edited by Welcome; 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I'm looking for rear-window sun louvers, which normally go inside the window, as in the photo I referenced. I accept that "venetian blinds" is commonly used to label these, but these louvers are neither blinds (which would opaque the window) nor Venetian (indicating that they can be retracted vertically). Sorry, I'm a professional editor, I can't help it.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
              58H-K7 660

Comment

Here is a picture of one in a 1964 Cruiser that I saw for sale not long ago.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Ayres View Post
                  I'm looking for rear-window sun louvers, which normally go inside the window, as in the photo I referenced. I accept that "venetian blinds" is commonly used to label these, but these louvers are neither blinds (which would opaque the window) nor Venetian (indicating that they can be retracted vertically). Sorry, I'm a professional editor, I can't help it. Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ 58H-K7 660
                  Steven, no reference photo showed up in your original post ...or least none did on my set.

Comment

Let's all back down just a little on the definitions of words and the result in public opinion.

Steven Ayres did reference, not post, a pic in his original post. The device his is asking about is plainly visible. If you are not sure what he is interested in, I would suggest you visit the thread he referenced.

Please do not continue the argumentative tone of this thread.

Comment

Appearing to be venetian blinds, these interior rear window louvers are not adjustable, short of physically bending each mounting tab. I see no reason why, with a little bit of ingenuity and patience, a set could not be fabricated for the '53-'61 C/K. If you tried to make them adjustable they would flutter wildly every time you drove with the windows open.
                      This set obtained through the auspices of M. Burnette and with constant memory of Tom Elliott.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                      X