Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's 1966 would you buy a Studebaker as your first car ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope,
    I would wait one year and buy a fully loaded Impala,... And while we're at it throw in a hemi Cuda.
    Sorry.
    (hindsite is 20/20)

Dean.

Comment

I bought a 66 commander coupe 194 CI for my mom from Danyluk studebaker in Glendale, CA. 3 spd, radio and that was it.
      It was a surprise for her. She originally introduced me to Studebakers at a very young age. When we got to the dealership, the car had dog dish caps. She told Danyluk that she wouldn't get in that dxmn thing til it had dcent hubcaps, Dany went upstairs and got a set of 64 hubcaps and installed them. He had known mom for many years and knew how ornery she could be.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

I was not really looking at a new Studebaker in 1966 but in 63 I was out to get a new car, I have just gotten married in Dec. 62 and already had our first house and working as a carpenter I had a good job but wanted a new 63 GT but at $3200.00 it was out of the question and the Avanti was $4500 and up so the new Studebaker was out and did end up with a new 63 Chevy Impala 409 with the 4 speed the salesman was a member of my new wife's family and he made us a deal we could not turn down $2700.00 out the door and he made our 60 Corvair go away. 2 years later the 409 had 49,000 miles and I had 2 new kids so a larger 4 door was needed in came the 65 Belair with a 327 250 hp what a lemon it turned out to be so in 66 we ended up getting a 65 Chevelle wagon with a 283. but since then about 250 Studebakers have crossed my palms, never a new one but lots of really nice ones, the one I am working on now it the car Studebaker should have built the 66 2 door hard top hope to have it ready by next International.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
          I was not really looking at a new Studebaker in 1966 but in 63 I was out to get a new car, I have just gotten married in Dec. 62 and already had our first house and working as a carpenter I had a good job but wanted a new 63 GT but at $3200.00 it was out of the question and the Avanti was $4500 and up so the new Studebaker was out and did end up with a new 63 Chevy Impala 409 with the 4 speed the salesman was a member of my new wife's family and he made us a deal we could not turn down $2700.00 out the door and he made our 60 Corvair go away. 2 years later the 409 had 49,000 miles and I had 2 new kids so a larg
          r 4 door was needed in came the 65 Belair with a 327 250 hp what a lemon it turned out to be so in 66 we ended up getting a 65 Chevelle wagon with a 283. but since then about 250 Studebakers have crossed my palms, never a new one but lots of really nice ones, the one I am working on now it the car Studebaker should have built the 66 2 door hard top hope to have it ready by next International.
          Guess a usual I'm simply out classed here,.... Not my fault I couldn't afford to buy a car when I was 4.

Dean.

Comment

I didn't, I bought a 66, 327,275hp, 4 speed, Malibu on Tuesday. It ran 15:03 on Saturday, and won D Pure stock on Sunday, with a 14:88. Studebaker couldn't come close to that in 1966. Bought the car for $2700+. It was still early in the muscle car Race, Sorry to say Studebaker was left out with the Old mans car.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	66 ventura copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1675672

I was 23 in 1966 and looking to buy a new car. I had been driving a series of 1939-41 Champions and had bought a lot of parts for them at Meyer Motor Co. in Washington, Illinois. Old John Meyer had owned the dealership since the mid 1920s and his mechanic Dale Small was one of the best. The showroom was very small, with room for two cars at best. Mr Meyer had but two 1966 cars left in his inventory and as I recall they were both base model Commanders. At age 23 I was not inclined to buy a base model 1966 Studebaker Commander. Instead I went to Travis Cadillac Pontiac in Peoria, Illinois and speced out a dark blue '66 Pontiac Ventura hardtop (shown above). It had the 389 with four speed and no power with black wall tires. Had it four years and traded it in on a new '70 Grand Prix. The last new car I would own for 35 years!
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I would have, if I could have, but I was 11. A man in town had a 1950/51 and I loved it. There was an older couple who would come to town to shop and would always park nearby. They had a sliding roof Wagonaire, which fascinated me. Ironically, at the last cruise-in I went to, I was asked if I'd owned my '64 since it was new. Don't know if the car looks that good, or I look that bad.
                Sue

Comment

When the 66's came out in the fall of 65 I had just graduated from high school & had finished 6 week's of training at the G.M. Tech Center in Union, New Jersey & was paid $1.50 hr. (minimum wage at the time). I liked the car but wasn't thrilled on the body side mouldings being placed down low, but my finances wouldnt allow buying a new car, so I had to make due with the 59 Lark at the time.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                    When the 66's came out in the fall of 65 I had just graduated from high school & had finished 6 week's of training at the G.M. Tech Center in Union, New Jersey & was paid $1.50 hr. (minimum wage at the time). I liked the car but wasn't thrilled on the body side mouldings being placed down low, but my finances wouldnt allow buying a new car, so I had to make due with the 59 Lark at the time.

I was in the Navy at NAS Jacksonville when I bought my first new car in 1961, a Studebaker station wagon......I bought a new 1964 2 door sedan Studebaker when they came out in 64......I was purchasing a new car car every 3 years at that time and I would have bought a new 1967 Studebaker, but, alas, they were no more by that time......I continued to buy and drive Studebakers exclusively for many years after that fateful day in March of 1966.....So would I have bought a new Studebaker in 1966? the answer is YES, absolutely, if I had bought one one year earlier instead of waiting until 1967 to buy again.....Keep on Studebakering......

Comment

I did. First car was a 61 Hawk, 4 speed, with AC. Great car!!!! It had like 250,000 miles on it when I got it. Belonged to a traveling salesman named Slim LaGrange, the car was originally an automatic, but he had it converted to a 4 speed, at Van Winkle Pontiac in Dallas.

Comment

No one in my family had a Studebaker before me. My first Studebaker was a 1957 President Classic that had been used for one year before I bought it. My first new car was a 1964 Plymouth Fury hardtop (hipo 383). In 1966, I bought a new 1966 Dodge Charger (361). In March, we wanted to get a new 1966 Studebaker for a second car (we already had several used Studebakers). We went to the largest Studebaker dealer in the area, Pitcher Motors. They delivered their last new 1966 Daytona Sports Sedan that day. I even saw the new owner with the car later that evening. Out of more than 50 Studebakers, I still have not owned a 1965-1966 (I have driven and worked on them.).
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Strange, when I saw the title I assumed this was going to relate to purchasing a new car from a company that was about to go out of business... .

But to stay with the theme, "No, I wouldn't have bought one." I was only 9 years old. Added too, is my first recollection of a Studebaker sedan being the 60's era Lark. More specific, a 4 door owned by Jim Wood's mother. About 1968 Jim and his mother had recently moved from Nova Scotia to San Gabriel, CA.. Jim was immensely proud of the car though by So. Cal. standards it might as well have been, "Your father's Oldsmobile." It just wasn't "Cool."

Today what previously would have been called "Dork Cars" take on a whole different appearance simply with a slight forward rake and a nice set of wheels and tires. But, still, "No," in 1966 I would not have bought a Studebaker. However, in 2010 the answer was "Yes!" I think we and the cars themselves have to go through an appreciation process.

Tom
                          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

No I wouldn't 'cause I was 6 at the time & I didn't care one bit for a square box, it was only 53-61 coupe's for me until a very few years ago when I suddenly saw a -55 4-door sedan with wrap-around windshield(!) (& that did something to me) for sale... & bought it.
                            I never before looked at the sedans but that window changed the car totally for me, even thou I prefer the 53-54 front more.
                            But a "box"? I'd be real surprised the day I'd wanna have that instead.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                              Strange, when I saw the title I assumed this was going to relate to purchasing a new car from a company that was about to go out of business... .

But to stay with the theme, "No, I wouldn't have bought one." I was only 9 years old. Added too, is my first recollection of a Studebaker sedan being the 60's era Lark. More specific, a 4 door owned by Jim Wood's mother. About 1968 Jim and his mother had recently moved from Nova Scotia to San Gabriel, CA.. Jim was immensely proud of the car though by So. Cal. standards it might as well have been, "Your father's Oldsmobile." It just wasn't "Cool."

Today what previously would have been called "Dork Cars" take on a whole different appearance simply with a slight forward rake and a nice set of wheels and tires. But, still, "No," in 1966 I would not have bought a Studebaker. However, in 2010 the answer was "Yes!" I think we and the cars themselves have to go through an appreciation process.

Tom
                              The irony today a 'dork car' with its square cut styling now has street cred as a 'donk'........those lifted (usually) 4 doors with way oversize wheels on them.

Myself: I was only 8 when Studebaker stopped building cars and; to be honest, even if I was old enough to buy a 1966, the lack of a 4 spd stick would've killed the deal for me.................
                              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Hi

I was 13 at the time so a new car or even a driver's license was a few years away. Studebakers were nearly off the radar for me. When they departed for Canada, I had a feeling they were done for. Had I been in the position, a '66 Olds Toronado or Buick Riviera, a '66 Lincoln convertible or Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham would have been at the top of the list. If the car purchased was for the dollar amount equivalent to that of a new '66 Studebaker, it would have been a nice, used '61-'63 Lincoln convertible. Even though there was always a place in my heart for poor underdog Studebaker, I always went for the big luxury cars..........still do!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X