Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New twist on the old "Avantis built in Canada" myth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New twist on the old "Avantis built in Canada" myth...

This weekend my wife and I had a yard sale to dispose of excess items in the house. I had one garage door open where the fun cars stay as I needed to get items or tools as needed during the day. Several people peeked in there and would mention either the Corvette or the Avantis, including one seasoned citizen who gave us a different slant on the old "Avantis were built in Canada" story.

The old fellow said he knew that back in the day the state of Washington used Avantis as police cars...they brought them in from across the border in Canada where they were built to be converted for that purpose!

My wife and I simply smiled at one another...we didn't see any purpose in correcting him. It wouldn't have served much purpose we thought.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Yes, they used Ford 289 motors in them too......

Comment

As hard as things like this are to let go by, you are absolutely right that there isn't "any purpose in correcting" folks who make statements like this. I find my self gritting my teeth and smiling when I hear the many incorrect "facts" that people tell me about Studebakers.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That sort of thing doesn't bother me much, when they're talking about YOUR Stude. But when they're talking about MINE, it stings a little.

Comment

Living in Washington, I wonder if mine is a former cop car?

I get tired of the silly tales too...BUT (and there is always a "but" )...
          You have to remember that some of the questions come from people who really don't know about the cars and who have a legitimate question...
          Witness what happened to me last ywear (I've told the story before, so have patience if you've heard it) when a teenager came up to me and asked what the car was ans what engine it had.
          "It's an Avanti with Studebaker 289" I replied.
          He thought for a moment with a puzzled look on his face then said..."Why would they put a Studebaker in an Italian car?".

In other words... don't treat everyone like they're one of the "old guys who picked up old stories" at the local "car club bar" hangout.

Remember, if you answer a question, you might help the club grow one of these years.
          And never, ever, blow off a kid.
          We were all young once (come on, how many of you can remember the first time you saw particular model and that hooked you for life?) and getting a smart alec answer or none at all won't help us.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Well my old 53 had an automatic door opener !!.. Yeah it did !!.. If you had an ole ugly looking girl friend and wanted to ditch her, just make a hard left turn and the door would fly open.. "Left Turn , Clyde"

Comment

My first sighting of a 1957 Studebaker Commander came as we were looking out the rear window of the school bus as we were making a stop on the highway discharging passengers. Right behind the bus was this 57 and one of the older boys claimed it to be a Corvette? huh. I had never seen one so what did I know. Maybe he knew better and was being sarcastic. I found out very soon cause it was my uncle that pulled up in our driveway days later to show my dad that very same at the time 2 yr old used car. I just bought a 55 President State hardtop. cheers jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Best one I ever heard was when I was waiting at a stop sign in my sons 65 Daytona. A man stopped in front of me, in the traffic lane I was waiting to clear. He came to my window to tell me that when he got out of the navy in 1955, He bought a Brand New Speedster Roadster with a supercharged Packard V12 in it.

He also told me that he was a truck driver untill he was stopped in Arizona for going 142 MPH in a loaded Semi. They pulled his licence. I always wondered what they ran him down with. Maybe it was a Studebaker Cop car with the Packard V 12 package.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

We all get to hear the legends about Studebakers. I hear this reference more than probably any other when someone is looking at the Avanti..."They were made in Canada weren't they?"
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Can't remember if I reported this on previously. SI was in a supermarket parking lot in the Avanti and a guy walked up and asked if it was a Subaru. I think Studebaker did not compute for him and he was taking his best guess. All the letters in Subaru are contained in Studebaker, nice try.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Skelly View Post
                      That sort of thing doesn't bother me much, when they're talking about YOUR Stude. But when they're talking about MINE, it stings a little.
                      Good point.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                        Can't remember if I reported this on previously. SI was in a supermarket parking lot in the Avanti .
                        On this SDC Forum, SI usually means Studebaker International. What do you mean by "SI"? It is not obvious to me.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When I hear the bit about Studebakers having ford engines in them, from some illinformed person, I turn it back around on them and tell them that Studebaker started building 289 engines in the mid fifties, that they had their own foundry to do this and that when they went out of business in Dec. 0f 63 they had all these extra engines for sale cheep. Ford needed engines for their new car being introduced early for the 64 1/2 model year the Mustang. So all mustangs have Studebake engines in them.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            On this SDC Forum, SI usually means Studebaker International. What do you mean by "SI"? It is not obvious to me.
                            Just my deteriorating typing skills. Meant to type So I. Now corrected.
                            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                            50 Champion 2 door*
                            53 Commander K Auto*
                            53 Commander K overdrive*
                            55 President Speedster
                            62 GT 4Speed*
                            63 Avanti R1*
                            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

"All the letters in Subaru are contained in Studebaker,"

Apparently he has "sporadic dyslexia" which causes some letters to shift and others to be dropped all together. I hope you informed him bout the 14 day program - with a couple of weekend follow-ups (meaning being here on the SDC Forum)?
                              Last edited by wittsend; 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM.
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X