Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the factory colors for a power steering pump ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are the factory colors for a power steering pump ?

Recently my motor locked up and im in the process of taking it out but im wondering how to paint a 60'lark power steering pump while i have the motor out.What are the factory colors?

All black.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Agree with the above post, should be black.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

*actually should be a flat black for all chassis parts.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

thanks i'll get right on it.

Comment

Not to put too fine a point on it, I think it's more of a semi-gloss than flat black as Chris suggested. Eastwood sells an underhood black in a rattle can that is the right glossy-ness.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

I rebuilt one that had a dash of green, like an assembly inspection mark, painted in a streak where the two halves join.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by crazylark View Post
                Recently my motor locked up and im in the process of taking it out but im wondering how to paint a 60'lark power steering pump while i have the motor out.What are the factory colors?
                Hey kid, what's the situation? Are you guys putting another engine in or rebuilding the original?

Paint everything shiny gloss.. Make it look good!!

Comment

I agree with Skip - semigloss black.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with Matt - shiny black is the best. Once it is wiped down a few times to remove road grime, it will appear the semi-gloss of the original finish. Flat black doesn't cut it and looks poorly. I've never seen an original factory part painted flat black, at least on a Studebaker. The factory used "chassis black". Just look at any factory photos of chassis and parts and note the shine!

Comment

Poor Kid! Now he's all confused. I took him to the store today. He found Satin black, semi gloss, and low gloss. He asked me "Papa, which one should I get?" I told him they were all about the same. He said most of the forum members said Semi Gloss, so that's what he went with. I think he was happy with it.

He bought semi gloss black and silver engine paint. Each part he removed,he would clean and paint it. He has a very pretty P/S pump, water manifold, Intake, valley cover,and brackets.
                      Last edited by rockinhawk; 10-07-2012, 09:22 PM.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                        I agree with Matt - shiny black is the best. Once it is wiped down a few times to remove road grime, it will appear the semi-gloss of the original finish. Flat black doesn't cut it and looks poorly. I've never seen an original factory part painted flat black, at least on a Studebaker. The factory used "chassis black". Just look at any factory photos of chassis and parts and note the shine!
                        I do not believe that the factory used chassis black paint on the power steering pump or other underhood items.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I thought it was pretty well verified that Budd shot the frames with a thin coat of gloss black, with no primer. They remained shiny for about a week. The power steering pumps were presumably painted by the manufacturer (Bendix, Saginaw) with a higher-temp black paint. I dunno about Bendix, but Saginaw, as a division of GM, would have used their standard semi-gloss black.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Studebaker Engineering Dept. documents for Saginaw Steering Gear Div. (S.S.G.) pumps specified they be received painted:

Air Dry Black Enamel
                            S.S.G. code #4141 or Rinshed-Mason # XP 3351

Comment

thnks every one for the comments BUT,does anyone know what color a fan is?

Comment

Working...
                              X