Brief Studebaker History: 09/06/12 Indianapolis Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief Studebaker History: 09/06/12 Indianapolis Star

A nice general-overview Studebaker vehicle company history appeared in the Saturday, October 2012 Indianapolis Star:

Yes, I know the "brothers" photo caption suggests that all five brothers began the company, but chances are pretty good the author did not write the caption. (Besides, The Star is a Gannett Corporation newspaper, and Gannett's devotion to accuracy frequently leaves something to be desired.)

We'll assign Dick Quinn the duty of further fact-checking, should he want to weigh in on the early history reported...and, of course, the company didn't go out of business in 1963, they merely quit manufacturing automobiles in The United States of America. For that matter, they didn't even "go out of business" in 1966, when the Automotive Division simply quit manufacturing automobiles in Canada!) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 10-06-2012, 04:39 AM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Now there's a first! An article in the Indy Star that B. Palma approves! Given the author's position however, I would have expected near-perfect accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
      Now there's a first! An article in the Indy Star that B. Palma approves! Given the author's position, however, I would have expected near-perfect accuracy.
      Very funny, Dwain...but not wholly inaccurate by any means! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Yes, I know the "brothers" photo caption suggests that all five brothers began the company, but chances are pretty good the author did not write the caption. (Besides, The Star is a Gannett Corporation newspaper, and Gannett's devotion to accuracy frequently leaves something to be desired.)

We'll assign Dick Quinn the duty of further fact-checking, should he want to weigh in on the early history reported...and, of course, the company didn't go out of business in 1963, they merely quit manufacturing automobiles in The United States of America. For that matter, they didn't even "go out of business" in 1966, when the Automotive Division simply quit manufacturing automobiles in Canada!) BP
        BUT technically they didn't stop automobile production in South Bend until 1964 and did not go out of business in 1966 as Plant 8 remained open until 1972 and Studebaker merged with Worthington; thus technically never going out of business but just leaving the auto industry...

Sorry Bob, just giving you a hard time.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
          Sorry Bob, just giving you a hard time.
          Young whippersnappers!

Of course, Chris, I was simply making the point that they didn't fold up and go away in 1963, as the article implies...even after Plant 8 closed, they were still "in business" in a business sense, but it makes a better story for writers to cite 1963 as "the end," which we seek to correct.

And you thought Clark Kent was responsible for truth, justice, and The American Way! (Well, somebody has to be...'glad you're paying attention!) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I have always been miffed that so many companies wrote Studebaker off at the end of '63. An example are the Motor's Repair Manuals. I've got a '65 edition that doesn't include studebaker (because it's a "foriegn brand"), but does include VW.
            Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
            X