Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep-N-Hock Follies (Oct 2012)

(Changed header as project changed)

Am contemplating a banzai trip up to Reedsville next month.
    Would like to buy a decent steel trunk lid for 'The Black Car'.....
    (Mine was stripped of the liner and is just a flimsy bondo'd up skin....)
    Want to keep this all steel race car all steel...if I can.
    I can get a 'glas lid from a couple of sources......
    But a steel lid would suit me better..
    Any east coaster's have a decent candidate?
    Needn't be perfect...just salvageable...
    Jeff
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

You know there will probably be more than one there. Reedsville seems to be the sheet metal meet. Those who are bringing them are probably not visiting the forum to see your request. Best to line one up to avoid a futile trip. Check with Tom Karkiewicz. He may have one and Reedsville is still one of the meets he does not miss.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      [COLOR=#000080][B]Am contemplating a banzai trip up to Reedsville next month.
      Jeff
      A half dozen years ago this would have been right up Jim Heiple's alley.
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

In 2004 we came north to look at the Avanti. I purposely visited Jim Heiple the PM before we went on to Wheeling and bought the car. I was new to the Studebaker world and having seen his ads I thought it would be good to know at least one vendor and he happened to be the first. Joining SDC helped me to become aware of how many there are.
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

From the Swap Page..

For Sale 1955 C/K Coupe Hood and Trunk Lid in XLNT condition Henry Votel
          gudim1945@isd.net

Forest Lake, MN 55025
          651-426-1610
          A very excellent Hood and Trunk Lid for sale. Hard to find any rust at the seamed edges. A few small bumps/dings. All in all XLNT units. No bent corners on hood. No noted rust at bottom of trunk seamed edge. Wish they all wer this good. The price is $125 each. If that's too much buy the next ones you see that are this good. Pickup only by you or your regional Studebaker friend. You will be pleased. See 24 pictures. Copy/Paste this link into your browser http://photobucket.com/55HoodAndTrunkPics
          Ad Number: 11004

Comment

Jeff

Jeff, I have a pretty decent 54-55 decklid here in Greenville, SC. I listed it on E-bay a few weeks ago and found no takers. I have it loaded to go into deep storage but can take it off the truck if you are interested. I paid $50 for it and just want to get my money back. Steve http://www.ebay.com/itm/120987520556...84.m1560.l2649
            Last edited by wolfie; 10-06-2012, 07:10 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

What did that lid have done to it? (Just curious).
              Looks like it was cut apart for a trunk lid spare tire mount or something like that.
              I have to go to Bristol Tuesday, maybe I can stop by on my way back and have a look at it.
              Thanks for thinkin' about my project.
              Jeff

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
              Jeff, I have a pretty decent 54-55 decklid here in Greenville, SC. I listed it on E-bay a few weeks ago and found no takers. I have it loaded to go into deep storage but can take it off the truck if you are interested. I paid $50 for it and just want to get my money back. Steve http://www.ebay.com/itm/120987520556...84.m1560.l2649

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

What did that lid have done to it? (Just curious).
                Looks like it was cut apart for a trunk lid spare tire mount or something like that.
                I have to go to Bristol Tuesday, maybe I can stop by on my way back and have a look at it.
                Thanks for thinkin' about my project.
                Jeff

Dont know, I bought it as you see it. I will send you a PM so you can find me Tue. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

After seeing Steve Welsh's thread about saving his rare '64 GT Hawk trunk lid......
                  Decided to see what might be done with my '53 trunk lid skin.
                  Since it is a drag race only car, weight is important, but being able to open the trunk by myself is important, too.
                  The trunk lid, as it came when the car was purchased was just a steel (and bondo) skin that was held on with 4 hood pins.
                  It took two people to take it off, and then...where to put it down?
                  It was a floppy steel noodle.
                  So... Looking at that GT Hawk trunk lid...Hmmmm.. I have an old rusted out 'extra' early Hawk trunk lid like that...
                  Looked at the inner liner.. What!????! It's the same inner liner.
                  So... Did the unthinkable. Cut the inner liner out of the trunk lid.
                  (Actually ground the outer edge lip and then ground off the spot welds)
                  Did a little straightening....
                  Then went nuts with the Greenlee punch and the hole saws...
                  Made up a pair of hinge mount plates (the modified trunk hinges are mounted about 5" narrower...to the roll bar down tubes)..
                  Have the liner ready to bead blast and prime...
                  Need to work on the edge lip of the original trunk lid and put the two pieces together...
                  If this all flops...Then I'll look for a trunk lid to replace this mess.
                  So far it has been a fun quality CASO project.
                  Save the good parts by using what is on hand.... The Studebaker way!
                  Jeff

IMG_1141.jpg IMG_1132.jpg
                  IMG_1178.jpg IMG_1177.jpg IMG_1187.jpg

Jeff

Comment

After working on Steve and Michael's intakes Saturday, spent some time on the trunk lid.
                    Welded the GT Hawk liner to the '53 skin. Also welded up 28 unwanted holes in the outer skin.
                    Had to do some grinding and bodywork to the outside to clean up the surface.
                    Sprayed some temp primer on it to check for fit.
                    Bolted it on to test the fit (and make sure it wasn't warped).
                    So far... Nothing but a little time and some welding wire and primer invested..
                    So much for my one day off..
                    Jeff

DSC00601.jpgDSC00603.jpgDSC00609.jpgDSC00616.jpgDSC00622.jpgDSC00628.jpg
                    Attached Files

Jeff

Comment

Looks pretty darn nice! Good job!
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Jeff
                        I have a fair trunk deck.............

(Changed header as project changed)

Jeff
                        Jack White
                        Charlotte,NC
                        North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Working...
                        X