Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE END OF AN ERA HERE IN HAMILTON- THE WRECKERS HAVE BEGUN DEMOLITION ON THE STUDEBAKER FACTORY!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Originally posted by SusieQ View Post
    Stu and Roly went back today and I have added more pictures of the plant.. You can check this link,
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Demolition/ I will add more pictures as time permits.
    In case you were wondering after viewing the pictures, Roly and I had to drive down a cart track adjacent to a rail line, then burrow our way through very dense brush in order to secretly gain access to the property since we weren't supposed to be there. Sort of like attempting to explore the old Studebaker graveyard at the South Bend Proving Grounds.

For those familiar with the Hamilton plant layout, the wreckers have started at the north side facing Burlington Street and have collapsed the exterior wall and roof in the area of the body float, metal repair, bonderite wash and paint oven. The west wall and truck bays are still standing. Next week I expect they will moving eastward where the body-in-white and panel assembly was located. For those of you who have a copy of Turning Wheels, October 2002 issue, turn to page 9 and you can follow the demolition route I have described. More later.

Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• raprice
    replied
    It's always sad to see a once vibrant facility being destroyed. I would love to think that the Canadian Studebaker facility in Hamilton had a chance to survive. It's just that the board of directors chose to shut down the automobile production. It's my understanding that, in 1966, Studebaker reached the break-even point in production. Who knows?
    I think I'll go for a ride today in my Lark. That'll make me feel a little better.
    Rog

Leave a comment:

• Caligulette
    replied
    Thanks for the pictures, SusieQ.

I can totally understand what Deepnhock is saying here, but I also do lament the decay and neglected of older factories. Having spent time in Detroit, I can say that the sight of the lost potential and ruins of what once actually was a thriving area is pretty painful. I don't know what the scale of the Hamilton Plant was (still being fairly new to this area of study!), but the jobs lost -however long ago- are lamentable in themselves.

That such nifty cars are no longer being made, well, I think we can all agree that that's a loss.

Leave a comment:

• SusieQ
    replied
    Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
    So much for a happier ending. The owners had agreed to allow us to schedule a final homecoming event before demolition but then cancelled our planning meeting. We have been unable to get anyone in control to return our calls but I'm trying again. I'll keep you all posted. If anyone is in the area please keep a daily watch and take as many pictures as you can.
    Stu Chapman
    Stu and Roly went back today and I have added more pictures of the plant.. You can check this link,
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Demolition/ I will add more pictures as time permits.

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Nice idea, but from a demolition point of view, very expensive. It's much too big for any logical display.
    Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
    So much for a happier ending. The owners had agreed to allow us to schedule a final homecoming event before demolition but then cancelled our planning meeting. We have been unable to get anyone in control to return our calls but I'm trying again. I'll keep you all posted. If anyone is in the area please keep a daily watch and take as many pictures as you can.
    Stu Chapman
    WE'RE BACK ON THE RAILS AGAIN! - I HOPE
    This morning, Roly Lusted, Hamilton Chapter VP, and I met with the property owner's personnel which resulted in a subsequent telephone conversation with a senior representative. As a result, it looks like we can still schedule a Studebaker Homecoming at the Hamilton plant within the next two weeks. Just as soon as we have written confirmation we'll announce it here on the Forum. Keep watching.
    Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• SusieQ
    replied
    Originally posted by Rerun View Post
    Perhaps it is time to be working on a plan to erect some sort of historical memorial plaque on the site. Are there any known plans for the real estate?
    Jim,
    We are in the planning stages to do just that. We have approached the clubs here in ontario about it and, currently, we have our chapter, the ontario chapter, the avanti club and a private person on board to donate. Also, there is a plan to attempt to rename Ferrie St. from Mars Avenue to Victoria Ave. This may happen as there is only one residence on this street.

Leave a comment:

• Rerun
    replied
    Perhaps it is time to be working on a plan to erect some sort of historical memorial plaque on the site. Are there any known plans for the real estate?

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
    Hey Craig , at least I got to take a photo of my 66 in front of the main entrance before tha ball swung !
    You were fortunate to be able to do so. At least I was able to get a few outside photos of the facility for myself in 2010:
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=ferrie
    As one can see in the photos, the building was not 'run down' in any way, and the grounds were clean, aside from a few papers blown against the fence. It was springtime when I took those photos.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Don55
    replied
    What a shame, i do hope some of the items in the plant was saved by some one. but i can see this happening all over the country, trying to clean our inter cities up some and get rid of some of the slum's parts of towns. that bums live in and rats, plus it helps bring the area back. but for those who worked there many years ago, it hurts, i know the company i worked for sold out and the plant just isn't the same, "think Studebaker"
    Don Morgan

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Hey Craig , at least I got to take a photo of my 66 in front of the main entrance before tha ball swung !

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Two words: This sucks.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    [COLOR=#000080][B]I would much rather wax nostalgic about pristine pictures of a manufacturing facility
    in its working prime than look upon an abandoned and neglected former worksite.
    The open wound of a neglected abandoned factory brings me more pain thinking of what could have been.
    Complete the mourning process and move on to the collection of accurate history.
    Share that and enjoy the glory days.

A corpse does not age gracefully when left out in the open.
    The factory in Hamilton was not 'past its prime' The building was still in remarkably good shape, and was not 'derelict'. Unfortunately, there were no takers who wanted to lease the premises, and the current owners obviously didn't want to carry the expense of keeping the utilities on, and paying taxes for an unoccupied building.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    To: DEEPNHOCK,-------- That really sums things up.....Well said!

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I would much rather wax nostalgic about pristine pictures of a manufacturing facility
    in its working prime than look upon an abandoned and neglected former worksite.

Kudo's to those that collected butter tubs of sand, and an occaisional old brick as a rememberence.
    (I have some signs from the SB factory)
    A lock of hair, a piece of cloth........

The open wound of a neglected abandoned factory brings me more pain thinking of what could have been.
    Complete the mourning process and move on to the collection of accurate history.
    Share that and enjoy the glory days.

A corpse does not age gracefully when left out in the open.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X