Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE END OF AN ERA HERE IN HAMILTON- THE WRECKERS HAVE BEGUN DEMOLITION ON THE STUDEBAKER FACTORY!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRoberts
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    Too bad someone (maybe the Studebaker Museum) couldn't have gotten the congregated metal spelling out "Studebaker." It would have nicely filled in a bare wall or even made for an exterior fence.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Originally posted by SusieQ View Post
    Here's the end of an era here in Hamilton. We were at a cruise last night and a friend told us that the wreckers had begun to demolish the Studebaker plant. We were there today and they have pretty much demolished the foundry and the insides are down. Roly used to work at the Otis plant which was joined and located west of the Studebaker factory. Currently, they are working pulling down the insides of the factory. Roly took these pictures today from a spot on the railroad tracks located north of the rear of the factory. If you go down Mars and Ferrie Street, it appears that nothing is happening. However, we went down Victoria Ave. and you can just see through the yard to the rear of the old Otis Elevator factory where the wreckers are working. Roly then went along the railroad tracks and peeked through the fence to get some pictures. The man from the wrecking company said that they will be moving east and will soon begin to take down the iconic Studebaker sign on the rear of the plant. He indicated that within three to four weeks the whole thing should be down. It is kind of sad, my late father worked at the plant from 1948 as did my uncle. Roly relates that when he worked at Otis, they used to watch the Larks going into the primer tanks. I have uploaded the pix to photobucket and the link is below...

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Demolition/
    So much for a happier ending. The owners had agreed to allow us to schedule a final homecoming event before demolition but then cancelled our planning meeting. We have been unable to get anyone in control to return our calls but I'm trying again. I'll keep you all posted. If anyone is in the area please keep a daily watch and take as many pictures as you can.
    Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• THE END OF AN ERA HERE IN HAMILTON- THE WRECKERS HAVE BEGUN DEMOLITION ON THE STUDEBAKER FACTORY!!!!

Here's the end of an era here in Hamilton. We were at a cruise last night and a friend told us that the wreckers had begun to demolish the Studebaker plant. We were there today and they have pretty much demolished the foundry and the insides are down. Roly used to work at the Otis plant which was joined and located west of the Studebaker factory. Currently, they are working pulling down the insides of the factory. Roly took these pictures today from a spot on the railroad tracks located north of the rear of the factory. If you go down Mars and Ferrie Street, it appears that nothing is happening. However, we went down Victoria Ave. and you can just see through the yard to the rear of the old Otis Elevator factory where the wreckers are working. Roly then went along the railroad tracks and peeked through the fence to get some pictures. The man from the wrecking company said that they will be moving east and will soon begin to take down the iconic Studebaker sign on the rear of the plant. He indicated that within three to four weeks the whole thing should be down. It is kind of sad, my late father worked at the plant from 1948 as did my uncle. Roly relates that when he worked at Otis, they used to watch the Larks going into the primer tanks. I have uploaded the pix to photobucket and the link is below...

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Demolition/
Working...
X