1934 Commander at auction in KC Mo.--Updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1934 Commander at auction in KC Mo.--Updated

Noticed an ad in the Kansas City Star newspaper (hard copy) this morning that listed a Studebaker at auction this coming Friday Oct 5 in KC. I had heard of '34 Presidents and '34 Dictators before but never heard of a "34 Commander Deluxe.

Went to the open house today to view said auto. WOW! It was purchased new in Oklahoma and driven by the woman's aunt until the early '60's. Has been in storage in a semitrailer, sitting on the ground as a storage shed, since about 1964. The woman's dad, whose estate is being settled, "drove" (backed)it in there after prepping for long term storage and it hasn't moved since. Car is up with jacks/stands at all 4 corners so the tires are not in contact with the floor of the trailer. Interior as viewed thru the rear window(front window is so cloudy you can't see thru it) looks in excellent shape. Has 1942 Oklahoma lincense on the front and 1961 Missouri plate on the rear. Very complete car including DUAL SIDE MOUNT SPARES and no apparent body rust. Surface rust on the radiator surrond and on both bumpers. Now the problem.... It has a straight 8 in it, but the rear spark plug and the 4th from rear were out laying on top of the engine. The front 2 plugs were broken mid porcelin. I would have to assume the engine is stuck solid if it's been 50 years sitting inside a shed that way in the Missouri humidity but the woman is certain Dad drove the car into the trailer and no one had touched it til now. BTW, It's a 4 dr sedan and the woman asked what type of doors the fronts were since they opened backwards.

Anxious to attend this Friday and see what it brings as it got many mixed reactions from those viewing it in the trailer today. Hope the tires are still holding air, as the way it is in the trailer if they go flat when the jacks are lowered it will never roll out of the trailer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by snowy_buffalo; 10-05-2012, 07:03 PM. Reason: added pics
    \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
    \'64 Daytona HT

Just wanted to update on the 1934 Commander at auction today in KC. Fairly large crowd attracted to the car during the several hours of viewing before the 11am CDT auction start for the car. Many wished they could own it, just as many had memories from those long ago days of other Studebakers. Met a 20 something that wanted it to restore if it went cheap enough for him to afford as his dad already has 2-3 Studes. Junk yard man (blow hard type) that was helping the auctioneer announced an hour before the start that he was going to make sure it didn't go cheap. When asked what he thought was cheap, the reply was $6K to $7K.

Well, auctioneer held up a print out of a restored 1934 (dictator I think) that he found on the internet that had sold for $16,000 as proof of the value of this car and proceeded to try to start the bidding at $10K. No takers so it finally started at $1K jumping in $1K increments til 5 or 6 K. After that in $500 blocks for a couple thousand more. Then $250 til it was down to 2 bidders and the final price was $9K. I talked to the winner and asked his name. He belongs to the Packard club and has a couple of Packards as well as a Model A Ford. Told him I wanted to announce his name here and he had no problem with that. James Carmichael of Oak Grove Mo. who appears to be 80-85 yrs old although I didn't ask. Second high was a middle aged gentleman(name unknown) new to Studebakers but liked the looks of this one. His hesitation was whether or not he could find someone to redo the interior properly. James stated after the fact that he would have gone to $10K if needed to get it.

George Hall from the KC area, who is also associated with the 1933 Indy Car that is coming to the Studebaker Museum this winter, was also in attendance. Very nice gentleman that I had not met before.

Some additional pics to show condition.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by snowy_buffalo; 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM. Reason: name correction
    \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
    \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Thanks for the report and those pictures.....looks like a interesting car, hope we see it in the future in all her glory.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks for the photos and the update. An interesting car to be sure. Always amazing to learn there are still some out there. That being said if a restoration is done (either complete or partial) it is not likely the car will bring enough to justify the expense. However, maybe the new owner will get enough enjoyment out of it to make it worthwhile.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

A '34 with a dash mount radio control; can't be too many of them!
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

One guy lookin at the car . Rest stuffin there faces ..............

Comment

Too bad the younger guy hesitated. There are a handful of top interior guys in the surrounding states of MO. I believe iirc mr Carmichael is a auto painter? I'm checking with 2 car guys I work with that live in Oak Grove.
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                One guy lookin at the car . Rest stuffin there faces ..............

I think they're looking at the household goods for sale.

Could someone explain to me what's going on with the roof of the car?
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Most cars of that time period had roof inserts as the industry had not yet acquired the capability to stamp out a metal roof panel.
                  Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                  I think they're looking at the household goods for sale.

Could someone explain to me what's going on with the roof of the car?
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

That I was aware of. Is that a coating on the fabric that is flaking off?
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
                      Too bad the younger guy hesitated. There are a handful of top interior guys in the surrounding states of MO. I believe iirc mr Carmichael is a auto painter? I'm checking with 2 car guys I work with that live in Oak Grove.

I checked with the guys at work and I was mistaken as to the man that they knew.
                      (was another man, same age living in same area)
                      However they live close by to the gentleman who was the auction high bidder so maybe they will stop in and visit the project.

Side note my boss is in the same club as Larry Holler (Holler Hot Rods), The shop currently doing work to the Studebaker that was on American Pickers.
                      I asked him to find out the projects status.
                      Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 10-12-2012, 02:51 PM.
                      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

No drip moldings. Was that common to these cars ?
                        Klif
                        55 Speedster/Street Machine
                        63 Avanti R2
                        64 Convertible R1

Comment

Working...
                        X