1962 Spring Colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Spring Colors?

I've just acquired a '62 Lark wagon. The cars original color is Desert Tan. That is one color that is just not acceptable to me, but I am a

purist, and I would at least like to paint it a '62 color. What happened to the '62 colors? I count only 8 different colors on the chip chart. Were there any spring colors offered like in '59 or '60?
    Last edited by BobGlasscock; 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM. Reason: the way it oughta be

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...baker-pg01.jpg

Check out the above for 63 colors. Lot's of them and your 62 might have been
    built close to the time they were available. Do you have the build sheet ?
    It would show how car came from factory. Just a thought.
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Comment

Studebaker of Canada offered two Spring Colors for 1962 as shown:

Note the Rally Russet metallic scanned a little darker than it really is.

Craig

Comment

Sell the car. You say you're a purist but don't like the color of the wagon and wish to change it. Then it's not authentic - perhaps another vehicle will appear in a better color for you.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

first off, welcome aboard, Duane!

if your '62 is a "original survivor", you should try to "buff it out" and leave it original.

otherwise, paint it whatever color you prefer - don't limit yourself to just the "spring" colors, and maybe not limit it to a '62 Stude color.

here's a few to check out:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...aker&year=1962
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
            If your '62 is a "original survivor", you should try to "buff it out" and leave it original.http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...aker&year=1962
            The original Desert Tan finish did fade quickly to a chalky putty color which is a turn off to many. Desert Tan did look nice when it was brand new, and will look nice again when its all shined up or repainted. I'd shine up an area under the hood or a door pillar where its been concealed from the elements and make an assessment first before making a decision about a color change.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by VIRGILX View Post
              I've just acquired a '62 Lark wagon. The cars original color is Desert Tan. That is one color that is just not acceptable to me, but I am a

purist, and I would at least like to paint it a '62 color. What happened to the '62 colors? I count only 8 different colors on the chip chart. Were there any spring colors offered like in '59 or '60?
              Funny because there's a 1962 wagon near me (Tempe) that looks abandoned but evidently the owner refuses to let it go.
              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

To: VIRGILX:------ Doesn't appear that Studebaker offered any 'spring' colors in '62. 8E45E is correct when He states that DESERT TAN, when the paint is in 'new' condition, really is a nice
                looking color. You really can't go by how it looks 'washed out'. Good luck with this!

Comment

Working...
                X