Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #111 (Connie Hines, Mr Ed in Needham, Mass 1961)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We record all of the Mr. Ed shows that come on one of our "oldies" channels. I watch them for the obvious reasons and my 10 year old thinks the show is cool.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

You can find much good information on the series here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Ed
      I might point out also that Studebakers sponsorship started in Jan 1961 and ceased in March 1963. There were 143 episodes ending in Feb 1966. For a complete summary of the episodes see this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mister_Ed_episodes
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I know the episode "Wilbur in the Lion's Den" (Season # 3, Episode # 7) has a good shot of an Avanti being driven by guest star Charles Lane playing the role of Charley Foster. He is the familiar, cantankerous man who appeared in countless televison series and movies.

The scene involves him driving the Avanti towards the camera while looking out the driver's side window at Wilbur who is flying a kite with Mr. Ed. If I recall correctly, the kite gets tangled in a tree which is within the confines of a zoo and there is a lion enclosed within a fenced-in area underneath the tree. After Mr. Ed makes a plea to Wilbur ("I want my kite, Wilbur") he tries to get it and subsequently falls into the lion's enclosure. Seeing all this makes Foster wonder about the architect (Wilbur) he has hired. A bonus is that you can hear the rumble from the Avanti's 289. There may be earlier episodes with an Avanti but this is the episode I always think about when associating an Avanti with the series. The original air date was 8 November, 62, so considering production schedules, this episode was probably filmed during the Summer of 62 or perhaps, a little earlier.

Best of all, it's on You Tube, just follow the link below. The Avanti scene is at about the 16:03 mark and at the 18:08 mark, Wilbur's wife, along with next door neighbors Roger and Kay Addison, drive up in the Addison's '62 convertible. Enjoy!

If you would like to see other Avanti scenes, I suggest you search You Tube using this episode as a base.

http://youtu.be/ejhlsZicw1M

Lord, the plots these writers came up with.

Bill Sapp
        Hamlet, NC
        Last edited by Mr. Bill; 09-22-2012, 05:47 PM. Reason: edited for verb tense

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          I might point out also that Studebakers sponsorship started in Jan 1961 and ceased in March 1963. There were 143 episodes ending in Feb 1966. For a complete summary of the episodes see this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mister_Ed_episodes
          TV shows usually wrap up their filming the end of february/beginning of march for the season. I dont remember though Dick, if the Studebaker commercials continued through the re-runs but wonder if "the board" had it in mind to discontinue South Bend production earlier so that they didnt sponsor the show for the new season starting in september. Too bad, then perhaps that exposure to the new & beautiful looking 64's may have moved the metal more, plus additional traffic in the showrooms would have had a better chance of getting rid of the stockpile of 63's that were left over.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

There's a 64 Daytona hardtop and GT Hawk in this episode called "Ed the Chauffeur". Ed rents a panel truck and goes for a drive. The copy I have is longer. I bought some homemade dvds off of ebay. I thought he talks to a couple in the Daytona at a stop light. TV Land must have cut it for time. When the cop finally catches him the cars are in the background around 16:53. Also I think the daytona's behind him at 15:45.

Originally aired on Sunday April 12th, 1964

Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 09-22-2012, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
              TV shows usually wrap up their filming the end of february/beginning of march for the season. I dont remember though Dick, if the Studebaker commercials continued through the re-runs but wonder if "the board" had it in mind to discontinue South Bend production earlier so that they didnt sponsor the show for the new season starting in september. Too bad, then perhaps that exposure to the new & beautiful looking 64's may have moved the metal more, plus additional traffic in the showrooms would have had a better chance of getting rid of the stockpile of 63's that were left over.
              In those Studebaker Corporation Board of Directors Meeting minutes for August 1963, that I have read, they were already discussing ways to "save face" and shut-down South Bend manufacturing while walking away from their newly awarded $81,000,000 contract to build Military vehicles. I have not (as yet) had the opportunity to read the Studebaker Corporation Board of Directors Meeting minutes prior to August, so Warren, your theory may very well be correct.
              Last edited by Welcome; 09-23-2012, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X