Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #111 (Connie Hines, Mr Ed in Needham, Mass 1961)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #111 (Connie Hines, Mr Ed in Needham, Mass 1961)

In the summer of 1961 30-year-old Connie Hines made a triumphant return to her home town of Needham, Massachusetts appropriately in a new Studebaker convertible. As every Studebaker owner knows she was the TV wife of Wilbur Post (Alan Young) and played second banana to Mr Ed (Bamboo Harvester) the talking horse. The photo above was taken in the summer of 1961 in Needham during a special homecoming parade in her honor. Connie passed away on Dec. 18, 2009 at the age of 78. Alan Young (born in England) is still alive at age 92 and resides in Beverly Hills, CA.
    Attached Files
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

And why not the front of that same September 1961 Studebaker News, Dick:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The front does not show a Studebaker!
      Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        The front does not show a Studebaker!
        Good point, Dick...I hadn't even noticed!

(Priorities, one would suppose....)
        BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

that is one pretty horse.

Studebaker or not.

Dean.

Comment

CONNIE HINES Was 'TOP SHELF'. There was a Studebaker Dealer in Needham Mass that sold many cars in that area (which is just a bit west of Boston, and was then..and still is.. one of the more affluent
            towns in eastern Mass) I believe the Dealer's business name was 'Salamon and Sons Studebaker'. Wonder if this photo was taken there?
            Last edited by SN-60; 09-20-2012, 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Good point, Dick...I hadn't even noticed!

(Priorities, one would suppose....)
              BP
              I'm with you, Bob. She was a very pretty woman!

Comment

Quite a LARK! (take that two ways)

Comment

Does this make you any happier, Dick?

(Geeze, the things a guy has to do to remain credible around this place!) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Bob; A pretty weak attempt at remaining credible! Now had you posted something like this I would have been impressed!!
                    Attached Files
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

The horse with Miss Hines is not the "real" Mr. Ed.

Compare the white blaze. I can't get a photo to upload, the site always tells me it's too big..even after I resize it.
                      http://www.imdb.com/media/rm116439040/tt0054557

I'm no horse doctor, horse whisperer or bronc rider, but it's not the same horse.
                      It's cheaper for CBS/Filmways to hire a horse and put a Mr. Ed blanket on him than trailer the real star horse across the country.

That theory is also given some credence by someone putting out a news release and marking his grave when he supposedly died...when it's generally acknowledged that that horse was a stand-in or PR horse.
                      It's like the display cars NASCAR teams truck around the country.
                      Alan Young mentions it in his book.
                      Last edited by JBOYLE; 09-21-2012, 12:51 PM.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yes john you are correct and I was aware of this. I have a rather large file on "Bamboo Harvester" (aka Mr. Ed) and the TV show. I have met Alan Young and also sent some items to him to autograph. I also have his book that has been autographed.
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

Speaking of Mr. Ed...if anyone has a listing of episodes where Avantis were featured (I believe his neighbor drove one), I'd be interested in seeing it.
                          I'd like to see if any of those episodes are in the two DVD collections or online.

IIRC, that was the first time I saw an Avanti...being too young to read car magazines of the day.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

To: JBoyle,----Yes, Wilbur's next door neighbor Addison would sometimes show up driving an Avanti.......I have no idea which episodes....but I recall Him driving a '63 'round light' showing a front and driver's side
                            view of the car as it was driven into the scene. And, in another later episode, Addison showed up in a '64 style 'square light' model.

Comment

I remember watching the show in my youth. My brother & I were astounded to clearly see what looked like fishing line connected to Mr Ed's mouth making him "talk". What a letdown. Next thing ya know the 1929 Porter in "My Mother the Car" didn't really talk either!

Comment

Working...
                              X