Studebaker museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker museum

Just visited the Studebaker museum in South Bend. Great experience !! Only wish it were bigger!
    Also went to Studebaker International and took the "tour" of the warehouse. Staggering amount of NOS stuff.

Everyone should do these tours once .

Great job !

Rick

I dropped by during the international meet on my way to Montreal this summer. Great experience, except that the Muppet Movie '51 had been moved to make way for another exhibit.
    ~Matt Connor
    '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Actually the Muppet car is on loan to the America On Wheels Museum in Allentown PA through the end of October 2012. After that it will be home in South Bend and hopefully on its way to restoration. It has been a hit with the kids.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
        Great experience, except that the Muppet Movie '51 had been moved to make way for another exhibit.
        If you're looking for a beatup bulletnose with furry looking guys inside, our local chapter has a few we can loan the museum.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I agree about it needing to be larger. Before the current building, I notified them of a VERY large, modern, masonry, one floor building with a lot of daylight lighting, walking distance to a railroad station, a mile from the Interstate, etc. for free. The offer was ignored by the SNM. Another museum grabbed it up and is doing great in it.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by RICKJ View Post
            Everyone should do these tours once .

Rick
            The more the merrier!!
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I agree about it needing to be larger.<<<
              ORsnow-job du jour" going around back when I took this pic.? Will you SNM Board of Trustee Members on this Forum please confirm or deny that???

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                Actually the Muppet car is on loan to the America On Wheels Museum in Allentown PA through the end of October 2012. After that it will be home in South Bend and hopefully on its way to restoration. It has been a hit with the kids.
                Well, I'm glad it was having a good time!

When you say "hopefully on its way to restoration" does that mean they've already raised enough money to spruce her up? That paint job will be a doozy to pull off. I wonder if any of the original artists are still around and willing to lend a hand...
                ~Matt Connor
                '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                  >>>When you say "hopefully on its way to restoration" does that mean they've already raised enough money to spruce her up? That paint job will be a doozy to pull off.<<<
                  If/when it gets 'restored' would you like to be the first to drive it???

(of course the driver was in the trunk while they were shooting the movie )

Comment

Gary: The offer of the 'free' building and the SNM's refusal of such and the current use of it would make a very 'interesting' article for Turniung Wheels. You up to it? stupak

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                      ORsnow-job du jour" going around back when I took this pic.? Will you SNM Board of Trustee Members on this Forum please confirm or deny that???
                      ]
                      Just today, I spoke with an SNM official about expansion. I suggested going up. He said that was not possible, but they may be able to extend out in one of two directions.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
                        Gary: The offer of the 'free' building and the SNM's refusal of such and the current use of it would make a very 'interesting' article for Turniung Wheels. You up to it? stupak
                        I think that this subject is pretty much water over the dam/under the bridge now. I spoke to an SNM official about this today in order to clear up the subject. That is enough.
                        The majority of what I submit to Turning Wheels is not used, so I don't bother anymore. In any case, I see no benefit to the current SNM of putting this information in Turning Wheels. The SNM needs all of the support that they can muster.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I think that this subject is pretty much water over the dam/under the bridge now. I spoke to an SNM official about this today in order to clear up the subject. That is enough.
                          The majority of what I submit to Turning Wheels is not used, so I don't bother anymore. In any case, I see no benefit to the current SNM of putting this information in Turning Wheels. The SNM needs all of the support that they can muster.
                          I love the SNM, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish there was more room for vehicles.
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

I was there in August and had a great time. Then went up to Kalamazoo to the Gilmore museum. Both a must see if you are in the area.
                            Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Comment

I agree about it needing to be larger. Before the current building, I notified them of a VERY large, modern, masonry, one floor building with a lot of daylight lighting, walking distance to a railroad station, a mile from the Interstate, etc. for free. The offer was ignored by the SNM. Another museum grabbed it up and is doing great in it.
                              Some additional information -
                              The building is 240,000 square feet.
                              The museum that took the free building had 75,000 visitors in 2011 and 350,000 since they opened there in 2003.
                              Think what the SNM could do with that space and a fraction of that number of visitors paying admission.

EDIT: I just checked. The SNM had 36,765 visitors for 2011. I commend them. That is better than I expected.
                              Last edited by studegary; 09-24-2012, 01:55 PM.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X