X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    That ONE 1958 '400' is now in Holland, according to your September, 2007 Turning Wheels. Craig
    Craig is only sorta kidding.

Check out Page 30 of the September 2007 Turning Wheels. There, you'll see where Studebaker's Vice President of Exports, R. A. Hutchinson, special-ordered for himself a 1958 Golden Hawk with so many 1957 Golden Hawk 400 features that it might be tongue-in-cheek called a 1958 Golden Hawk 400, although Studebaker did not market such a model. BP

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Now you are going to have people searching for that elusive 1958 Golden Hawk 400 <G>.
    That ONE 1958 '400' is now in Holland, according to your September, 2007 Turning Wheels.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Now you are going to have people searching for that elusive 1958 Golden Hawk 400 <G>.
    Oops! The hazards of posting early in the morning before breakfast, and thinking of the year in question rather than the year of the car in question. Duly noted and corrected. BP

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

And, of course, there is more to the story: Ted had ordered a new 1957 Silver Hawk V8 with overdrive. He traded that Silver Hawk at Snider toward the Golden Hawk 400 when Mrs. Snider was done driving it. [I](Understand, he was only 23 years old at the time...a fresh new high school teacher driving a one-year-old 1958 Golden Hawk 400! Talk about uppity, eh? )

[/B]

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
    Does a Golden Hawk 400 not have the 3 stainless darts per side within the side grille assemblies? If so, it is ok by me but just does not make a bit of sense to not have them. jimmijim
    All 1957 Golden Hawks have the three stainless-steel darts on the floor of the grill side air intakes; both "regular" Golden Hawks and 400s.

Take a close look at the photo in Dick Quinn's Post #4 above and you'll see them. I am looking at an original of that same advertisement here and the darts are in place. (That is an actual photograph of a 400, not an artist's rendering.) BP

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    The article states that the door panels were all vinyl, which isn't quite true. The tops of the arm rests were leather. (if it's exactly the same interior as used in the Packard Hawk)

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    Does a Golden Hawk 400 not have the 3 stainless darts per side within the side grille assemblies? If so, it is ok by me but just does not make a bit of sense to not have them. jimmijim
    Last edited by jimmijim8; 09-18-2012, 04:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
    Hey Bob, didn't Ted Harbit have a 400 once?
    Yes, Chris; he did. Good memory.

It was Midnight Black with white fins and side grille air intake floors. It was originally Virgil Snider's wife's "demo" at Snider Auto Service [Studebaker dealer] in Indianapolis. Ted traded it back to Snider toward a new 1962 Hawk he ordered with 4-speed.

And, of course, there is more to the story: Ted had ordered a new 1957 Silver Hawk V8 with overdrive. He traded that Silver Hawk at Snider toward the Golden Hawk 400 when Mrs. Snider was done driving it. (Understand, he was only 23 years old at the time...a fresh new high school teacher driving a one-year-old 1957 Golden Hawk 400! Talk about uppity, eh? )

Then, my cousin George D. Krem bought Ted's 1957 Silver Hawk as a used car from Snider without even realizing it was Ted Harbit's "old" car.

Here is Ted's "old" 1957 Silver Hawk in the middle of this 1964 photograph. George right; me left:

Unfortunately, neither Ted's 1957 Silver Hawk nor his 1957 Golden Hawk 400 are today accounted for. The 400's Serial Number is known, so if anyone posts that they have the car, it can be documented as Ted Harbit's 400. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steven Ayres
    replied
    Perfect, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    The possible 'engineering study' for the interior survives: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=husvar

Craig
    I remember reading about that one. I still hope Dylan Wills can get that car someday.

Hey Bob, didn't Ted Harbit have a 400 once?

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    The possible 'engineering study' for the interior survives: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=husvar

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 09-17-2012, 08:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	57 golden hawk 400a.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1675548

For some reason photo #1 did not get posted on my previous attempt.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	57 golden hawk 400b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1675547

This is the only piece of "literature" that Studebaker issued for the "400," a post card measuring 61/4 X 8 1/2."

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    From the February 1991 Turning Wheels:

Since that article was published, a positive count has been made of how many were produced: 51. BP

Leave a comment:

• Steven Ayres
    started a topic Golden Hawk 400: What are the features?

Golden Hawk 400: What are the features?

I'm sure someone here can list the special features and identifying characteristics of the Golden Hawk 400. (Has there been an article in Turning Wheels on this?)

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
Working...
X