Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the correct "Hood Bird" for a 55 President Coupe

See: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Mecum-auction

Give me the "Bird." I have a 55 President Coupe. I know the one shown in this listing is a Speedster. On my President, someone did a nice job molding off the two top fender chrome pieces and the hood bird. I have all of those pieces, and they are nice.

She who matters (Kerry) thinks they should be put back on the car. Before considering re-mounting them on the car, I would like to know if they are correct. My hood ornament is indeed a Winged "Bird" looking piece. The one on the Speedster in the above posting, looks different than the one I have. Mine looks like the one in the expired e bay listing at http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Studeba...-/250779552191. Sorry: I still don't know how to post pictures on this forum. Everything I try has too many pixels and is rejected.

Back in the day (a mere 52 years ago) I had a 55 Commander Coupe with this "Bird" ornament.

Anyone know what a 1955 President Coupe should have for hood/front fender chrome? Picture(s) appreciated.

Thanks 2 All

C/B

The fender trim was optional. The hood bird looks right but I think the shape of the hood may be different between the sedan and coupe.
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

President hood ornament has gold leading edges on the wings, but otherwise it's like the one you have
      I believe the fender ornaments may the same as a Speedsters

Comment

Thanks Guys: Leading edge gold huh? Don't have that one but then, this isn't a trailer queen either. Looks like the bird is a possibility. Kerry (Wife) is going o teach me the fine art of reducing pixel size so I can put pictures on a post. Outa the dark ages...here I come!

C/B

Comment

Ya I think there are two part #s,one for c,k and other for sedan.I have one that I'm sure is n.o.s,not sure off hand what body type it fits if anyone is interested ?
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Best i remember there are 4 different hood ornaments for 55 cars. I forgot how they were whether it was early and late cars and ck's, or Champion and Commanders. maybe you can look on thr "55's lets see em thread and figure out which hood ornament you need. Here is the one on my Late 55 Conestoga.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Here's what I understand:
              Speedster: Two similar versions - 14 prototypes were slightly different from production.
              Commander and Champion coupes and hardtops: Chrome Bird similar to the ebay ad.
              President C&Ks: Same as Commanders and Champion C&Ks but had gold leading edge. I have one on my Green Commander.
              Wagons and Sedans: I have only seen all chrome ones. I have not seen a gold leading edge one.
              Note shape is different for sedans/Wagoons vs C&Ks

Comment

!955 President Sedans defnitely came with the chrome and gold hood ornament (flying bird). This includes the somewhat rare Deluxe models, and the much better selling (at the time) State Sedan).

Comment

Spent early evening Sunday (after football of course) cleaning and buffing out the box of chrome stuff that came with my 55 President C Body coupe. Nice to be wrong once in a while. I have a chrome bird with very faded (but still there) gold leading edges. In my original post I said it was just chrome. I also have two top of fender chrome trim pieces with a clear plastic piece on the top of each. The bird cleaned up very nicely but the gold edge is very faded. I am thinking seriously about putting these items back on the car. I didn't see any of these items in the 2012 S.I. Catalog.

Question: Has anyone tried to gold-paint those lead edges of the bird? If so, what paint/color? Also, the trunk lock bar that says "Studebaker President" is in good shape. However, I am wondering if the background behind the letters should be colored (black?). At present, there is no color, just chrome and the letters don't stand out as well as they might with a darker background.

The car is not a concourse candidate, by any means. But, as it has all stock 55 Studebaker Running gear, I try to keep it as original as possible. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks All! Especially to CLONELARK for the helpful photo. I have that flying bird with gold edges.

C/B

Comment

Hi Chief As far as the trunk bar mine is white what color is the lettering on your grill? I think thats the color I'ed match. I have also used a dupli color brand paint on wheel covers its called metalcast gives a anodized effect.

Comment

the trunk bar background is a semi gloss black- the letters are white
                      VHT sells a transparent gold paint in rattle cans that I have used on a few 'gold' parts on not only my car [ wire hubcap centers,] but also on some emblems on ACOLDS '57 Packard
                      the duplicolor anodize gold will also work too
                      you'll have to take the gold off the ornament first though because it ends up a weird brown color if ya don't

Comment

The trunk bar on your car is different than a Conestoga, but they both spell STUDEBAKER. On mine i used a flat black and painted the letters white with a small brush.
                        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I saw the bird with gold on 55s' coupe. Had an urge to get closer to it (for inspection purposes), but Paul was always nearby (lol). It looks great.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Champions and Commanders came wth chrome versions.
                            #308690x1 - sedans and wagons
                            #308692x1 - coupes and hardtops
                            The President version had the front section gold colored.
                            #308690x2 - sedans
                            #308692x2 - coupes and hardtops
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                            X