• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33 Indy Festival / Pace Cars... Where Are They Now

http://libx.bsu.edu/cdm4/item_viewer...ISOBOX=1&REC=7

TonyHulman, Mrs.FrankE.McKinney, and FrankE.McKinneystandingbesidepacecar

http://libx.bsu.edu/cdm4/item_viewer...SOBOX=1&REC=17
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 08-31-2012, 07:58 PM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

i thought this was another "trivia" thread about '33 Indy pace cars!

cool pics!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

In 1960 Carol and I "doubled" with a friend and his date. We went from Muncie to Indianapolis in his new light green Lark convertible. Bill was from South Bend and his dad gave him the car for finishing at BSU. Never got a car when I graduated! That year I was also in Indy for a training seminar and we visited the track as it was in May and the track was a busy place getting ready for the race. Got to see J. C. Agajanian in the pits in his white stetson.
      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

To answer your question, Jeff.

Of the:

1. 33 259/Flightomatic Festival Cars

2. One early 289 Promotional Pace Car for early photo shoots, and

3. The two "real" Pace Cars (one backup in case the other had trouble),

Only one 259/Flightomatic Festival Car is accounted for. It was the one assigned to the Mayor of Indianapolis. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Were they all sold thru the Indy dealers after the race? Also did the winner of the race get one? I thought he got an Avanti.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
            Were they all sold thru the Indy dealers after the race? Also did the winner of the race get one? I thought he got an Avanti.
            Yes, Bob; the winner, Rodger Ward, received an Avanti. That's been discussed here many times, including the oft-repeated myth that the Avanti was "supposed" to be the Pace Car...when, in fact, the Pace Car was chosen while Avanti production was still being set up.

'Most all the Festival Cars, like the ones in Jeff's OP photo, were disposed of through Charlie Stuart Studebaker at 923 N. Meridian Street in Indianapolis. Obviously, the central Indiana market could not be expected to absorb all of them, so some likely went back to South Bend for distribution around the country.

'Curious that the cars in Jeff's OP photo do not have the traditional 1962 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car lettering, at least not yet. 'Probably ought to scrounge up some 1962 500 Festival photos and see if they ever did get lettered up exactly like the real Pace Car(s)!

Sometimes, people to whom Festival Cars are assigned, buy them at a deep discount after the 500 is over, but I'm not aware of any of the 1962 cars having been disposed of in that manner.

Keep in mind, I did not move to Indianapolis until July 1962, six weeks after the race, and was only 16 at the time. I picked up a lot of Studebaker lore right then, but cannot be considered an authority on all those Pace and Festival Cars, much as I've tried to follow them through the years. BP
            Last edited by BobPalma; 09-01-2012, 09:33 AM. Reason: added OP to "Jeff's photo."
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To be forthright, those photo's aren't Jeff's...
              He just found them searching the web and linked the source to their location.
              Credit goes elsewhere...

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                Credit goes elsewhere...
                Right, Jeff; I didn't mean to imply it was your personal photograph. I just added OP to my post to clarify. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

No sweat BP... I just like to share stuff I 'find' in the Internet...
                  I claim nothing, other than sharing it...
                  Also want to be careful to credit the original source, where that is due....
                  That's why the link is always part of the thread, so one can go back and look to see where the info really came from.
                  Just wanted to be clear about the original source (as I found it)...
                  You can be assured, If it were something original from me...it would be stupid
                  Jeff

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Right, Jeff; I didn't mean to imply it was your personal photograph. I just added OP to my post to clarify. BP
                  Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK
                  Credit goes elsewhere...

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X