Rats! Again, Close But No Cigar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rats! Again, Close But No Cigar

One hope I have is to some day locate a Packard my Dad sold new.

To date, the only extant car sold new by Palma Motors (June 1953-June 1955) or Palma-Rhoads Motors (June 1955-July 1956) is 1956 Golden Hawk #6032356. That special Golden Hawk has been discussed here many times, and it was the Cover Car of August 2006 Hemmings Classic Car special Studebaker issue:

I watch E-bay Packard ads fairly closely. Something in this 1953 Clipper's listing caught my eye:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-...item416a0f6e33

What caught my eye was the following text in the E-bay listing:

Have many records from previous owners that help track history of the vehicle including the original "build or order form" from O'Hair Motor Company in Mattoon, Illinois.

I knew that the Packard dealer in Mattoon was my Dad's nearest competitor west of Paris, being about 38 miles west. I thought I recognized the name O'Hair, too.

Sure enough, The Dealership Scrapbook book yielded this period photo from late 1955 or early 1956; note the promotion of Twin Traction on the back wall, new for the 1956 Packards.

The photo was taken in Mattoon(!) and both Dad and Mr. O'Hair attended. Mr. O'Hair is seated with the handlebar moustache, holding the papers. Dad is seated at the far right.

Geeze, gettin' closer to finding a Packard sold new by Dad; at least one surfaced that had been sold new during that period by one of his competitors in the east central Illinois market. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 08-29-2012, 10:32 PM. Reason: added Twin Traction note to better date the photo
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Great picture, Bob! Mr. O'Hair looks like someone drew that moustache on him!

Your situation is the polar-opposite of what I've encountered with my hometown dealer. We've discussed that they were similar-size operations in similar-sized towns. I'm aware of a Packard from your Dad's dealership era that survives (that '56 Caribbean convertible), but no Studebakers of that era that I'm aware of. Like your Dad, they sold two new '56 Golden Hawks.

I'm aware of two Studebakers (a '64 and a '65) that were sold new there, that survive, but that's it.

BTW, Ed Filer called me early last week and said how much he enjoyed getting together in South Bend and he particularly enjoyed the Administration Building tour. He thought you were a nice guy...and he'd be right .
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Ok guys, let me see if I re-read these two posts 3 times correctly. Bob wants to find a Packard that his dad sold new. Bill knows of a Packard that Palma sold new. Do you two know that this situation exists? Or am I just missing something really stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
        Ok guys, let me see if I re-read these two posts 3 times correctly. Bob wants to find a Packard that his dad sold new. Bill knows of a Packard that Palma sold new. Do you two know that this situation exists? Or am I just missing something really stupid?
        Bob, I had to re-read Bill's post myself to conclude that's not what he meant.

Bill is aware of the 1956 Caribbean convertible sold new by Ed Filer in Greenville PA, Bill's home town.

Thus, Bill reported that he is aware of a Packard sold "from your Dad's dealership era."

The key word there is era. The surviving Caribbean of which Bill is aware was not sold new by Palma-Rhoads Motors in 1956, but was sold during that era.

I, too, would have done a double-take, but I know about that surviving Caribbean from previous correspondence with Bill. (Too, Palma and/or Palma-Rhoads Motors never sold a Packard Caribbean of any year, unfortuantely.) BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 08-29-2012, 03:34 PM.
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

wow, Bob, that word "era" sure is teeny-weeny tiny, isn't it? Don't think I ever even noticed it..................................

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
            wow, Bob, that word "era" sure is teeny-weeny tiny, isn't it? Don't think I ever even noticed it.
            Yep, Bob; easily overlooked; I did, too, but knew of the car in question.

(You'd think Bill was a lawyer, wouldn't you?) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Yep, Bob; easily overlooked; I did, too, but knew of the car in question.

(You'd think Bill was a lawyer, wouldn't you?) BP
              Geez, I did word that poorly, didn't I? If you saw the project I was working on today (work, not fun), you'd understand my near-stupor condition this afternoon!

Bob's Dad's dealership 'era' is '50's. That's what I meant. My hometown dealer sold a Packard in that era which survived, but I'm not aware of any '50's Studes they sold that survived...the opposite of Bob's Dad, where they are aware of a (stunning) Studebaker they sold which survives, but no Packards.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Foy years I have hoped to find a Studebaker sold by my father's dealership: Van Anne Implement Co., Rock Rapids Iowa. (1946-1953) Guess what! A 51 Champion ragtop has appeared. It was purchased by Dean Merrill's father from my father. Dean is now in the process of restoring it. Don't give up, it could happen.
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                  Foy years I have hoped to find a Studebaker sold by my father's dealership: Van Anne Implement Co., Rock Rapids Iowa. (1946-1953) Guess what! A 51 Champion ragtop has appeared. It was purchased by Dean Merrill's father from my father. Dean is now in the process of restoring it. Don't give up, it could happen.
                  Wow! And a convertible, to boot. What a bonus! Congrats. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I just ran across 2 T85 OD car transmissions last wekend from a long parted out pair of really rare cars that had them......... Sorry to say the cars are long gone, no info about what they were. I always ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                      Foy years I have hoped to find a Studebaker sold by my father's dealership: Van Anne Implement Co., Rock Rapids Iowa. (1946-1953) Guess what! A 51 Champion ragtop has appeared.
                      And I think it is all a matter of perspective. From my vantage point, the sons of ex-Studebaker dealers who are actually interested in the cars their fathers sold suddenly appeared.

This fact seems unlike other car brands. The son of the Ford dealer I know drives a vette and the son of the Chevy garage where I worked as a kid isn't interested in cars at all.

It must be that Studebaker people are just great people.

Comment

10 gords post!

Comment

Bob, persistence pays off in the search that you are conducting. Once you get close the first time the next time you will even be closer so keep it up and soon there it will be a car from Palma Motors. Really enjoy these posts from you and have missed them over the last year or so as I took a hiatus from the forum.
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                            Bob, persistence pays off in the search that you are conducting. Once you get close the first time the next time you will even be closer so keep it up and soon there it will be a car from Palma Motors. Really enjoy these posts from you and have missed them over the last year or so as I took a hiatus from the forum.

Thanks, Don.

It's a pretty small pool from which I hope to find a Packard: In four years, they sold 12 new Packards and 35 new Packard Clippers; a total of 47 new Packard products. All were delivered in the rust belt save one, IIRC, they sold to a retired person in Florida. I have retail selling invoices for all of them, should documentation become necessary.

If one from Mattoon can surface, as this E-bay offering did, there's hope. O'Hair wasn't any bigger than Dad and Uncle Milt's place, and was selling in the same climate as to rust. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Trust as you will find one and soon and it will be rust free. -
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X