pick-up bed w/ 3" tub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick-up bed w/ 3" tub

Starting restoration of a 1951 2R5 tag 2R5-12 serial R5 66624 engine #IR94815 pick-up. I think the engine is a 170 CID Champion. The hood and doors may be from a different year (hood has the oval front opening and a 2 piece 'Studebaker' chrome insert. The doors both have the little cowl out at the top which I have only seen on later model pick-ups. QUESTION is the bed...I need to replace it the exterior sides are mostly rotted away (it is mostly cracking bondo over rust). The flat portion of the bed (which is in fair shape) actually measures 77 3/4" long and 51 3/4" wide with 3" "tubbs" (or wheel wells) both sides. I recall a forum question about this a while ago but can't seem to find it now. Did all 51 pick-ups have the 3" tubbs? A quick look at it appears that the tires would rub if the tubbs were not in place (a closer look is required to be certain). Am I looking at something custom? The tubbs certainly look original.
    Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark

No beds had wheel wells that protruded into the inside of the bed. If yours has them it is a custom job.
    If you need patch panels for the bed they are available from Classic Enterprise
    http://www.classicent.com/pickups.php
    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Here is a stock bed. DUSTY
      Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

While we are on this subject, where later C-cab beds wider than earlier C-cabs?
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
          While we are on this subject, where later C-cab beds wider than earlier C-cabs?
          That's my understanding. Almost 30 years ago, I owned both a 51 and a 56 pickup. In salvaging the best parts I ended up swapping the the box from the 51 to the 56. 25 years later I learned that the older boxes were about 2 inches narrower.
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

My bed is 51 1/4 wide. It is a 1958. If you want to put tubs in it look at ours. Dusty
            Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

ya, I remember seeing a photo of a Studebaker truck bed with inner fender wells that sure looked like the factory installed them, but can`t remember when, sometime last winter? Why not post some photos of yours...that may spark the memory of others, and if they look the same as the other earlier photos you might be onto something...maybe some beds were custom done at the factory?? Regards, Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                ya, I remember seeing a photo of a Studebaker truck bed with inner fender wells that sure looked like the factory installed them, but can`t remember when, sometime last winter? Why not post some photos of yours...that may spark the memory of others, and if they look the same as the other earlier photos you might be onto something...maybe some beds were custom done at the factory?? Regards, Junior
                Yep, Rich posted it here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=wells

Craig

Comment

Working...
                X