Junkyard - Wow! Commander Side Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junkyard - Wow! Commander Side Trim

The next chapter in my Stude adventures was my first trip to a junkyard. There is a very sad '64 Commander there that had already donated its carb to my Cruiser. I was overcome (well, almost) by the acres of cars and we only went to one field for this specific car. We were able to get a few interior parts that with cleaning, will go on the Cruiser. I have a question about one thing, but will ask in another post.

My point in posting now is to report that the stainless side trim is in remarkable shape. However, full disclosure dictates I tell you I only saw the driver's side, which was complete. I sent my brother to do the dirty work on the other side. If someone is interested in further information, I can go back. I offer this photo as proof of the condition. The trim is reflecting the color of the Chevy Luv truck next door.

Does anyone know if there is a Commander Registry? I got the numbers, just in case. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Sue

Hi Sue, if that steering wheel is not cracked it may be a valuable item to trade.

Comment

WOW ! A women that goes to junkyards<g> my kind of women ....don't take this wrong Sue, I admire you for that ,,,,,good luck with the car.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
        Hi Sue, if that steering wheel is not cracked it may be a valuable item to trade.
        Unfortunately, it was cracked; otherwise I'd have gone back with a steering wheel puller.

2R5 - I know what you meant & thanks for the compliment.
        Sue

Comment

Of course I need that windshield and being in So. Cal. you can't get much further from Maine!!! On the other hand I need the rear belt-line trim (tail light to the rear door) if it is a 4 door. Any chance you could get it and mail it????

Thanks, Tom
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
            Of course I need that windshield and being in So. Cal. you can't get much further from Maine!!! On the other hand I need the rear belt-line trim (tail light to the rear door) if it is a 4 door. Any chance you could get it and mail it????

Thanks, Tom
            Yes, Tom, it's a four door and I'd be happy to mail it. Do you need both sides? What's your spending limit? I'll keep that to myself. I won't have a chance to go back until Wednesday, but will promptly tend to it.
            Sue

Comment

The interior looks blue. How are the chrome covers on the sides of the seats? I think these were mainly just on split bench and bucket. I am looking for a drivers side chrome cover. SI sells them for $115/pair for metal ones. I am looking for an unbroken one.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                The interior looks blue. How are the chrome covers on the sides of the seats? I think these were mainly just on split bench and bucket. I am looking for a drivers side chrome cover. SI sells them for $115/pair for metal ones. I am looking for an unbroken one.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
                Mark - this one had a non-split bench seat and there weren't any covers. Sorry.
                Sue

Comment

no problem. Also good to ask, as you never know where one will turn up.

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Thank you Sue. Hummm..., spending limit??? I'm so use to buying stuff at the self serve "Pick A Part" that I'm likely out of touch with a regular yards price. Pick A Part charges $2 a foot and if you find something at their monthly 50% off sales it is $1 a foot. The rear trim measures 4.25 feet.

I'll say to double the regular Pick A Part price and that puts it in the $15-$20 range (plus shipping). I only need one side and it appears to be universal side to side. So, which ever looks best. If the attachment clips are salvageable I'd need those too.

While your there could you inquire about the windshield price? Getting it to So.Cal would be prohibitive, but at least I'd get a ballpark figure on what to pay. Again, Pick A Part windshields are $30 and half that at the 50% sale. When they have what I need..., I'm spoiled price wise.

I've included a picture to confirm the trim I need. The piece on my passenger side is missing.

Thank you, Tom
                    Attached Files
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Most NOS chrome and seat hinge covers in general are pitted by now (if you have ever seen the old dank warehouse back east you know what I mean) Check Ebay, or come on up to our next show. I am sure you will find decent ones from parts of the country where chrome stays 'good'.

There is an ad in TW about the Whatcom events in September. Don't wait until it is over to find out how one of the smaller chapters in SDC puts on one of the LARGEST events in the world on DYSD. Come take a look at the 'new SDC'

I go to your meets, why not come check out one of ours?

Comment

Mike, I love the PNW Zone meets. I lived in OR from 1980 to 2004 when we moved south to get out of the rain. I miss the Studebakers I had up there (sold all but one) and went to most all of the Zone and Internatonal Meets (SeaTAC and Portland) back in the day. Never did go to a NW Overdrive, but now I have another excuse to come back up.

Mark
                        Last edited by Bullet; 08-27-2012, 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

OK, Tom. I've got everything I need and I'll ask about the windshield (if it's not broken; I didn't pay any attention to it.) I'll get back to you tomorrow.
                          Sue

Comment

Tom - I got it for $15. Tried to send a PM with details, but it wouldn't go. It's missing one clip, but the rest are there and it looks like it'll clean up very easily. I was quoted $100-$150 for the windshield, but he may have been trying to fool a newbie. He wanted $20 for the trim; I offered $15 and he agreed. Now I've got to find a tube or triangle box long enough to ship it. I'll keep you posted. Please send me an email: suesld73 AT gmail DOT com with your address. Thanks
                            Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue. I sent an email as requested. Reply back, or if it doesn't come, get back to me here.

Thanks, Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X