Mecum's Monterey Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mecum's Monterey Auction

I was just watching some of the Mecum Monterey Auction, from 8/16 and a 60 (Silver??) Hawk, Black on Black, 289 and 4 speed sold for $40,000. By contrast, a 66 LeMans 4 door hardtop with original paint and interior brought $6500. Color me shocked the Hawk brought that much. The name Silver Hawk was questioned because I thought 60's and 61's were just designated as Hawks. A Hawk bringing $40,000 might give us all hope that our cars might bring more money that we are used to seeing them sell for.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Upon checking on Mecum's site, the same Monterey auction had two 57 Golden Hawks go across the stage. One sold for $33,000 and the other was a no sale from a high bid of $31,000.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

A 56'G.H. was sold at Russo and Steele for $30,300. It was black with black and red interior, Slick Street Stuff front end 4speed. The owner bought it about 2 years ago for around $20,000.

Comment

Many folks are tired of seeing the same Chevys and Fords at car shows and Studebakers are starting to gain respect. Anybody can restore a car that you can practically build entirely from new reproduction parts, it takes real skill and perseverence to restore and show a Studebaker! It is a good trend.

Comment

To: 63 R2 Hawk,----It is a good trend. and I've noticed that there's less Studebaker related wisecracks by the commentators than before. (when a Stude comes up on the auction block)

Comment

Yeah! What he said...... It is true that everywhere I go in my Hawk people come over and do the whole WOW A STUDEBAKER. Yeah sometimes they tell me how AMC and Studebaker merged and how Ford sold them engines but the reality of it is STUDEBAKERS Draw A Crowd They attract!! (did I misspell that??)

Comment

Anyone else catch the commentators remark that very few Hawks were built in '60 because Studebaker faced a steel shortage, and diverted most of the available steel to Lark production?
              Last edited by SN-60; 08-26-2012, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Anyone else here of this 1960 steel shortage that effected Studebaker? (Strike?)

Comment

On board with comments about people flocking to Studes at car shows. Surprisingly, most recognize ours as a Studebaker even with the extensive custom work done on it in the 50's. My guess is the wheel covers and still reconizable Loewy/Bourke styling give it away.
                  Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
                  Pictures at https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection and https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

Working...
                  X