Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color video of downtown LA, 1957, taken from a moving automobile...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color video of downtown LA, 1957, taken from a moving automobile...

At around 2:10, the original poster (on the Edmunds 'Postwar Studebakers' forum) says he believes you can see a bit of Frost and French, Studebaker dealer..look for red ball on right.

Footage can be licensed from Getty Images at http://www.gettyimages.com/More Vintage Los Angeles at https://www.facebook.com/Vintage-Los-Angeles/121097987946...
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Guess people raced the red light back then to...

Comment

Absolutely, Bill; readily visible for several seconds while the guy is waiting for the light to change.

And right at 3:00, a 47-49 goes whizzing across the intersection.

Precious few Studebakers in that land of wealth and prestige.

Great video. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Absolutely, Bill;[B][COLOR=red]And right at 3:00, a 47-49 goes whizzing across the intersection.
        I wonder if it came from that Studebaker dealer across the street from the Pontiac dealer!!? (At 2:06 in the vid.)

And why such a disproportionate amount of Cadillacs and only two or three Packards??
        Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 08-23-2012, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          Why such a disproportionate number of Cadillacs and only two or three Packards? Craig
          'Kinda gives you a hint of Cadillac's market penetration in a wealthy market by 1957, Craig.

And, sad to say, probably half the 1955/1956 Packards that had been sold were in the shop for their first Twin-Ultramatic repair by 1957! Gulp. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I like it when the T-Bird makes an illegal left turn in front of the camera car at about 3:45

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

That was a really poor cross section of Los Angeles because it only showed the rich Hollywood area nowhere near the Downtown LA Western Ave. location of Frost & French, and they would just have recently transitioned from Packard to Studebaker in 1957 I would not expect to see that old early 50's Studebaker ball sign. Probably NOT Frost & French.

This store could have been one of several, one being the Paul G. Hoffman store, that's right the X President of Studebaker and his son had Dealerships in LA.

Yes there were many Lincolns, Imperials, Chryslers and Cadillacs in 1957 in Hollywood. Any Packards would be old ones.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 08-23-2012, 10:28 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Fabulous video! I made it full-screen on my monitor and leaned forward, trying desparately to insert myself into 1957:/

I noticed at abou 1:45 we see the Buick convertible and the brown Ford that the driver had left a few bolcks back.

As I watched it occued to me that probably most of the buildings are still there, but very few if any of the cars- and people- shown still survive.

Makes you think...

Thanks for sharing this, Bill!
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bill thanks for posting a great video as Bob has said. Take me with you Bob if you can figure how to get there. Those were indeed the good old days where a simpler and less complex life style prevailed.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Very Cool!!

Comment

Nice find!
                      Did you see the other videos they have?
                      This one has a lark right at the beginning. There's one, maybe the same, trying to park towards the end.
                      Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 08-24-2012, 05:06 AM.

Comment

I hope I don't run afoul of you current Cadillac drivers too bad...but...I bet that T-Bird driver's other car was a Cadillac!

I developed such a prejudice against Caddy "I'm so Special" owners so long ago...that by the time I was able to afford one...I wouldn't dare!

Of course...I know...all generalizations are unfair. As an observation from someone not too observant...it looks like Cadillac is one of the few success stories of domestic production. Attractive cars with a completely different customer base. I'm still not convinced, but, from the numbers you see on the road...
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Neat, but more T-Birds than Studebaker's, also I guess it must be a new law where people walking have the right of way, not so in LA
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

For you radiophiles out there, both videos show the original KFWB radio station antennas atop the roof of the Warner Theater, built 1928, in which KFWB was housed until its move down toward the Capitol Tower in the late 5os when Warner Brothers sold the station to Crowell-Collier. The building (and the towers) are still there, and house the Hollywood Pacific Theater, as you can see in this photo. The antenna systems are not active anymore; the towers simply hold the neon that spells out the theater's name.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The people crossing the streets appear to have a destination in mind. Many people in our local area cities seem to slow down when they are crossing, almost daring you to hit them!

Comment

Working...
                              X