Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Eisenhower Inaugural parade Washington D.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Eisenhower Inaugural parade Washington D.C.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1345276672

What is the car at the far right?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Looks like a 57 P-kard.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Yep; a 1957 Packard Clipper.

For that matter, it looks like there is a second one dead center in the photograph, immediately behind the Imperial convertible.

More surprising yet would have been the timing for those cars to have been there. Assuming the parade was circa January 20, 1957, the 1957 Clippers had not been in serious production very long, maybe a couple weeks at that point, given the realities of their conception and execution. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If it were today, it could be a Zil.....
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Interesting that there are still train/trolley/streetcar tracks in the middle of the street.
          Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Its also interesting that while most of the support vehicles appear to be 57's- including what appears to be a 57 Hudson just left of centre, Eisenhower is still riding in the 51 Lincoln.
            Evan Davis
            Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
              Interesting that there are still train/trolley/streetcar tracks in the middle of the street.
              That streetcar line on Pennsylvania Ave was in service until January 1962. Congress mandated that all streetcar operations in DC had to end by June 1962, as they thought it made the city look old-fashioned. DC Transit Co chose to terminate streetcar operations a little early, as keeping the lines clear of snow was always a challenge. There have always been rumors that GM strongly influenced Congress' decision, as they were the biggest manufacturer of city busses at the time.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
                Its also interesting that while most of the support vehicles appear to be 57's- including what appears to be a 57 Hudson just left of centre, Eisenhower is still riding in the 51 Lincoln.
                Since at least the 1930s, Presidential limousines were custom-built by Ford or GM on Lincoln or Cadillac chassis and leased to the Secret Service for $1 a year. That practice continues to this day. Given their specialized construction and low annual mileage, they typically remained in service for about 10 years before being replaced. Some continued to be used by other dignitaries after being replaced as the presidential limo.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

The link below shows my favorite...The Sunshine Special. It sits among a very nice collection of vehicles in the Henry Ford Museum which is recommended as a place to visit for everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshin...(United_States)

Click on the top blue line and it will redirect you to the information on the car.
                  Last edited by Bob Bryant; 08-18-2012, 07:54 AM. Reason: Link not direct to info.
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Hopefully, not to wreck the direction of this thread, but...noticed the time of the posting...Richard, you keep some odd hours. Thanks for posting...time travel is no myth.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      Hopefully, not to wreck the direction of this thread, but...noticed the time of the posting...Richard, you keep some odd hours. Thanks for posting...time travel is no myth.
                      Naw, he just has a "snipe" program set up to post his comments at odd hours just to keep you guessing...
                      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                        Naw, he just has a "snipe" program set up to post his comments at odd hours just to keep you guessing...
                        Actually that has always been the time I do my best work!! Not that this was my best.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          Since at least the 1930s, Presidential limousines were custom-built by Ford or GM on Lincoln or Cadillac chassis and leased to the Secret Service for $1 a year. That practice continues to this day. Given their specialized construction and low annual mileage, they typically remained in service for about 10 years before being replaced. Some continued to be used by other dignitaries after being replaced as the presidential limo.
                          I think the '51 Lincoln was still in use for JFK's inauguration in 1961.

Comment

The second car from the left is a 1957 Nash.

I like Ike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                              I think the '51 Lincoln was still in use for JFK's inauguration in 1961.
                              I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 51 Lincoln was indeed replaced under the JFK administration. Possibly some Ford book I read.
                              sigpic
                              55 President Deluxe
                              64 Commander
                              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
                              X