No announcement yet.

Friday ASC Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASC and SDC mix on occasion out here. The results are always the best shows/drives I can remember. I hope they do it for our zone meet this year. I recall 100+ cars at one show, and 80 on a drive tour.. It was nice to have several antiques in the mix. I have an awesome video of it and an encounter with the "Daylight' Steam Engine...... How do you U Tube?

Comment

Wow...
      2013 to yesterday...
      Quite a jump in time <lol>
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        Wow...
        2013 to yesterday...
        Quite a jump in time <lol>
        Even bigger jump in time from 1939!!

Craig

Comment

my wet dream is any prewar Stude.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
            ASC and SDC mix on occasion out here. The results are always the best shows/drives I can remember. I hope they do it for our zone meet this year. I recall 100+ cars at one show, and 80 on a drive tour.. It was nice to have several antiques in the mix. I have an awesome video of it and an encounter with the "Daylight' Steam Engine...... How do you U Tube?
            Agreed, Mike.

The Northwest Passage ASC tours/events were one of the best parts of the Zone Meet, and both organizations took every effort to ensure they did not overlap, which made it great for everyone who wished to attend both. In 2010, the ASC's tour was the day before the SDC show, and all who attended got to see a nice early brass-era car collection hidden away in Bellingham, among other historical sites in the area. Again, in 2014, the ASC held an excellent Zone Meet in St. Regis immediately after the SDC meet in Post Falls.

Craig

Comment

They are still planning the Can Am Zone Meet. I guess I could ask.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                In 2010, the ASC's tour was the day before the SDC show, and all who attended got to see a nice early brass-era car collection hidden away in Bellingham, among other historical sites in the area.
                That same collection was part of the Northwest OverDrive a few years later...

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                They are still planning the Can Am Zone Meet. I guess I could ask.
                The ASC does indeed have some plans for the days prior to our Zone Meet.

I can't speak for them, but the Can-Am Zone Meet plans are moving along.
                Information has been posted on our Facebook page, as well as on SDC's.
                More will follow, but you can save the dates-- July 5 to 7, 2019.
                In Bellingham, WA.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/eventszone.asp
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Dick,

Absolutely correct, but it may have escaped notice that in Tacoma we included included an SDC tour. It followed the same rout, that the ASC used for one of our two tours to the LeMay family collection. All of the touring events were well attended, with the SDC portion having between 90 and 100 cars. Obviously very popular, but maybe too popular, given Tacoma's traffic. In my view, one hundred cars in an urban setting is really pushing the envelope. I think that most everyone enjoyed all of the tours. At least I heard no negative comments. It's really hard to cram all the events into the new truncated SDC International format, but I do hope that the powers that be consider making a tour a regular part of the event.

We in the PNW have been very fortunate to have had a long running forty year spring tour, the Northwest Overdrive. When Gary and Vergie Finch and a friend from Spokane began the event in the 70's, it was to address exclusion of a driving tour at the yearly Can-Am. While the Can-Am events are often in an urban setting, a more rural setting for the OD has been the norm. Having two events at different times and places has it obvious advantages of driving/showing, locations and vacation schedules.

Attendance at to OD over the last forty plus years has made it obvious that SDC people want to drive their cars. Remote locations and distance toured seems to have no affect on our desire to tour. Case in point, several years ago, I chose and lead a tour that I thought was pushing the envelope. It was one of my favorite drives to the ocean, but it would be 160 mile tour, and there was simply no was to shorten the tour, and do the route justice. After asking a number of people what they thought, I decided to just grit my teeth, trust what I knew about Studebaker owners and go for it. IMHO it was a great tour. We actually had two tours that year a shorter ASC tour through the countryside. I chose to have two tours that year because it was just too good an opportunity to ignore. More is better, well over two hundred miles of touring, over two days, with almost no complaints!

This year's OD is in Salmon Arm BC, Canada May 25-27(260 miles north of Seattle, maybe six hours driving time). Remember getting there is at least half the fun!-Bill
                  Last edited by Hallabutt; 01-15-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

As a reminder to ASC members and possible new members. We are planning a 3 day driving tour in Ohio prior to the national meet in Mansfield.

Comment

I too have always found it amassing that the antiquers drive their cars and the drivers club didn't until last year. The ASC also has huge presence at Hershey, we have a driving tour the Sunday and Monday before Hershey, the Northeast Fall Roundup, where we had about a dozen pre-war cars and the SDC does nothing. I own the green 37 State President Cp, in the pictures, since 2012 the car has received an AACA national award in 2013 and in 2016 received the Grand National Award.
                      Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Originally posted by jerezstude View Post
                        I own the green 37 State President Cp, in the pictures, since 2012 the car has received an AACA national award in 2013 and in 2016 received the Grand National Award.
                        That is a gorgeous car, and well deserving of those awards.

Now all we got to do is convince RQ to restore that similar green '37 coupe of his to look as good as yours!!

Craig

Comment

Craig; Will not happen in my lifetime. Love the patina of a car paked close to 50 years with all of its original features including the original bug screen!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2133 copy2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1724975
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The patina of your '36 Coupe is just like the patina for you & I Dick. It does not need to change, we have aged gracefully like your treasured Coupe !!

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                            MELBOURNE.

Comment

It looks blue now. In the garage photo in Post #62 here; http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=patina . it appears green.

But still retaining that original bug screen is really something!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X