Floor pan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor pan!

I took out the carpets from my '64 this morning in preparation for my T-10 install and guess what I found?

A FLOOR!

First time I ever had THAT happen!Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1736251
    sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

So what's the best thing to put on it? My first thought was POR15, but there really is no rust for this stuff to bond to. It needs rust to bond to. I wire-wheeled the whole area after I took this pic and found that it passed the "ram it hard with a screwdriver" test with flying colors.

Then my buddy suggested rustoleum. I was thinking about 3M rubberized undercoating followed by the Lowes version of DynaMat that I have heard discussed.

Your thoughts and experiences?

Doug
    sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Bowen View Post
      So what's the best thing to put on it? My first thought was POR15, but there really is no rust for this stuff to bond to. It needs rust to bond to. I wire-wheeled the whole area after I took this pic and found that it passed the "ram it hard with a screwdriver" test with flying colors.

Then my buddy suggested rustoleum. I was thinking about 3M rubberized undercoating followed by the Lowes version of DynaMat that I have heard discussed.

Your thoughts and experiences?

Doug
      Doug

I think I'd avoid the undercoating, engine heat could soften it and make a mess of what's above it. Rustoleum red oxide primer with color over it has been a great standby for years, so why not.

Not real familiar with the insulation you mention as I use Fatmat but if it has an aluminum layer to reflect heat it's probably worth a try.

By the way nice car and 4-speed will make better. Heck, I bought an old Avanti to get one to relive my youth.

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

i've used both Por-15 and this: http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator.html
        used some rustoleum on a little bit underneath the avanti when i ran out of the above. didn't last too long...

also used this on the avanti and the '40, instead of Dynomat or Fatmat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-1-4-4X6...item20c9a1c2d8

also has it with 1/2". lowes is bubble wrap in between the foil...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Floor Coating

Rust-o-leum is OK but if moisture gets underneath it can spread. My experience is to sand blast clean, epoxy prime, seal the seams, (3M makes several to choose from), and your ready for the heat shield.

Jon Kammer

Comment

I use Truck Bedliner. It's tough and gets hard as a rock. Comes in different colors too. I spray it inside wheel wells and such
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
              I use Truck Bedliner. It's tough and gets hard as a rock. Comes in different colors too. I spray it inside wheel wells and such
              I went this route on my Ford van a dozen years ago. I had bought a new E350 with a diesel and I wanted to make it a bit more utilitaian as the boys were getting into Scouts, I have my m/cs etc. When I removed the carpet, the van become a miserable drum. I had the liner put in (even under the carrpet that I kept in the front and MAN what a difference that made. I can only imagine how much better it would be with sound deadner but then it would hold up to the abuse I put it through.

Ken

Comment

I peeled back the carpets on my 89 Range Rover a few weeks ago and the structure remains so the replacement floor will only need rivets, but even on cars that new there are potentially huge rust holes. This vehicle was up north from 89-97...

My Studebaker uses 2 part epoxy paint on all interior body surfaces and underneath.
                Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                Lizella, GA

Comment

Are You sure this isn't trick photography?
                  Originally posted by Doug Bowen View Post
                  I took out the carpets from my '64 this morning in preparation for my T-10 install and guess what I found?

A FLOOR!

First time I ever had THAT happen![ATTACH]16872[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thanks guys. After reading all the above, I guess I'm leaning toward the epoxy primer followed by something...maybe bedliner, maybe rubberized undercoat. Not sure. But I AM going to put down the Lowes version of Dynamat as a final layer. I think it is called 'Peal and seal'. I found another brand x site that talked about it quite a bit. Apparently folks have been using this stuff for years with good success. It is layered...adhesive, tar-like substance, then foil. You burnish it down. $100 will cover a floor as opposed to $700.

Understanding that you usually get what you pay for, I guess I need to investigate further.

I appreciate the input.

D

Comment

All the peel and seal that I have seen a Lowe's is only 6 inches wide and 25 foot long. That would take forever plus cracks

Comment

This is the mega mat (Fat mat) that I used in the Avanti. Doubled it on the firewall.

Over $100 but way less than $700.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X